• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Rider and Helmet Noise?

Most noise to a rider's ears is coming from underneath the helmet - at the neck line. If you can seal this area, then noise is appreciably attenuated.

I wear a foam padded neck collar. It makes a huge difference in attenuation. It may be too warm in the summer for some riders, but now in these cooler weather, the collar is more comfortable.

See my posting elsewhere for details.

I agree! I found out that a bunch of noise was coming from the sun screen trigger on the lower left hand side of my helmet. If I put my hand over the trigger, Presto! much better!

I am going to order a WindJammer to help seal under my helmet.

brian

Are you sure the sunscreen slider is actually the issue?
It may be possible that it is actually your hand that is causing the improvement, not the slider at all.
Try it again by putting some duct tape over the slider and test it without your hand introducing a variable.

I totally agree - I tried the GIVI Extended windscreen for the NC750X (Shark Helmet) - the buffeting on the top of the helmet was nasty! Like someone banging a hammer on my head. Went back to stock NC windscreen at the lowest setting. Still some minor buffeting, but no screen would be better (try standing up while riding to see how much better without). Is there a shorter option than the stock screen available?

I bite the bullet and upgraded to a Shoei Neotech helmet and have been using the NoNoise Motorsport earplugs with the Zero Gravity screen with good success, but also ordered a Madstad 20" screen.

I will update how the Madstad works in a week or so when I can get it installed.

brian

Earplugs work wonders. I also have a new helmet coming, will review once I get it. However, I will always wear ear plugs. I went and got a 2nd pair of the ones I use while shooting and they are a dream. With a full face, or even transformable helmet, I can open the small plugs, which allows a little more sound to come in. Realistically, I hear the same sounds I would hear when in my car - in regards to noises I need to pay attention to. It really increased my enjoyment of riding, 2nd only to buying the bike in the first place.

I got a Scorpion EXO-900 helmet after fitting and trying it out. Loved the feel and fit and it is more aerodynamic than my first one.

Always wear ear protection, though. Always.

On wind turbulence due to windscreens, try raising and lowering your head to see how wind noise changes.

I experienced buffeting with the stock screen when I crouched down but no turbulence in a normal riding position.

At the same time, the stock shield doesn't provide much protection. I added a Honda tall screen that's 40mm wider and 140 mm higher than stock but am planning to cut it down 2 to 4 inches.........as soon as the snow melts and I can determine the sweet spot between protection and wind buffeting.

Back