• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Michelin PR4 & Ride On Installed today

Pikester

Reaction score
Visit site
My new Michelin PR4 arrived today & I had it installed & then put ride-on in the front & rear. So far, seems to ride really smooth. Yesterday, changed oil/filter & DCT filter out @ my 600 mile mark. Pretty easy job, especially using the thin Goldwing oil filter tool.

Ride safe,
Pikester

No, I did everything else, but I had a shop by where I work install the tire.
Yeah. I get that. It isn't difficult, but it isn't an important skill, mounting the tire. It is fairly cheap and fairly easy to see if they made any mistakes. (Make sure the arrow is pointing the right direction. [emoji3] )

If you had them put the rear back on the bike, you might want to check the chain slack.

Another thing about mounting the rear wheel: the brake caliper mounting bracket has a slot on the forward end that fits over a post mounted on the side of the swing arm. It is possible to carelessly miss the alignment and have the caliper bracket be improperly retained. It's possible to dismount and remount the wheel without the caliper bracket ever leaving the post, but sometimes things go awry in the process.

I got tired of paying for tire changes. $50 a tire and talk of going to $75 a tire for mount and balance. So I bought a NoMar tire changer and balancer. I have the hitch mount. When I am not using it everything but the balancer hangs on the wall. I order my tires and they are delivered to my house in a day or two. I have to travel about 40 minutes to an hr to a shop. Taking my time I can have my tires changed in the same amount of time it takes me to go there, wait an hr and come home. So far I have changed around 10 to 12 tires in 2 yrs. Over half payed for the way I figure and I do love the convenience. No more asking the wife to give me a ride home or to the shop.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Another thing about mounting the rear wheel: the brake caliper mounting bracket has a slot on the forward end that fits over a post mounted on the side of the swing arm. It is possible to carelessly miss the alignment and have the caliper bracket be improperly retained. It's possible to dismount and remount the wheel without the caliper bracket ever leaving the post, but sometimes things go awry in the process.
Oh yeah. Another thing I didn't get right the first time I changed the rear. I didn't notice at first. But the bike will let you know that one. I found out soon after applying the rear brake while going backwards slowly. Right after that I applied the rear while moving forward. The caliper made a clunk as it rotated forward again and hit the post. No damage. Well, except for my ego.

wow 50 bucks a tire ?!!!!

i paid 22 mount and balanced. i think if they were charging 50 bucks plus i would also learn to mount the tire myself.... but i guess it also depends on how much i ride

Yeah thanks for the advice. I'm planning to change my front and rear on Monday when I get back home. I hope there aren't much surprises as I need it for my commute next day. To add to the challenge, my cheapo husky air compressor pooped out on me. Hoping I get real lucky and everything goes well first try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kidding! Can't hardly find someone to do it at any price unless you buy the tires from them (at considerable premium)

The dealer here sells you the tire within $5 of the best price on the net and that's great but then adds $50 per tire to change it. Then add the 8.25% tax it is close to $450 for a change. Plus my travel time. Now I order tires with no tax and they show up on my front porch usually within 48 hrs or less. I am getting good at changing them so it takes me less time than a round trip to the dealer. And it makes me check out other things on the bike while I'm down there!

Got my shinko 705s mounted today by a local shop for $55. And that's me doing the labor of taking both wheels off! Really need to invest in some cheap tire changers.

Got my shinko 705s mounted today by a local shop for $55. And that's me doing the labor of taking both wheels off! Really need to invest in some cheap tire changers.

Or find a buddy like me with a lift and tire changer... I am sure we could get it done for some good BBQ!
I really like my NoMar tire changer and balancer. Not cheap but not over the top either.

I just mounted my rear PR4 this past weekend. My brother has the spoons and plastic rim protectors - and a portable balancing rig. Took about 1 hour from rolling the bike into the garage to riding it out. No problem and was easier than last time.

I note the Nomar video shows 2 guys working on the tire for portions of it. I think with 2 guys the basic spoon method works well. Doing it solo would seem to need some better tooling (although lots of folks do this solo from what I read).

Once the tire was on, I was obligated to do a ride, you know, just to scrub the mold release off the tire - decided a 100 mile ride would do that well [emoji16]

Or find a buddy like me with a lift and tire changer... I am sure we could get it done for some good BBQ!

Is that offer open to everyone?

I'm about an hour away, down I-290 towards Chicago. I'd be more than willing to spring for some good BBQ in exchange for a tire change when I come up! :cool:

Techrat

I just mounted my rear PR4 this past weekend. My brother has the spoons and plastic rim protectors - and a portable balancing rig. Took about 1 hour from rolling the bike into the garage to riding it out. No problem and was easier than last time.

I note the Nomar video shows 2 guys working on the tire for portions of it. I think with 2 guys the basic spoon method works well. Doing it solo would seem to need some better tooling (although lots of folks do this solo from what I read).

Once the tire was on, I was obligated to do a ride, you know, just to scrub the mold release off the tire - decided a 100 mile ride would do that well [emoji16]

I do mine all solo. I have done Goldwing and that took me a while. Tough stiff sidewall. My sport bike. Pretty easy. ST same and my daughter's NC700X easy. Nobody to help me.

Back