• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Member Twice Over - DCT and Manual

GPmotoTwin

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Forum,

After reading every review out there, the prospect of a fun, torquey twin with gas mileage that beats my first bike, a brand new 1999 Ninja 250R, was just too tempting to resist. So I did what any (ir)rational motorcyclist would do. I bought 2 NC700Xs- one DCT, one Manual.

My 2012 DCT was farkled up the wazoo. The previous owner was a engineer by training and executed every mod thoughtfully. The easy stuff - Honda top case and panniers, centerstand, Givi crash bars, etc - were a no brainer, but I really appreciated how cleanly he installed auxiliary lighting and additional strobing brake lights. The only mod I ditched right away was a too-tall-for-me Madstad windscreen that put my view of the road right under the lip of the screen.

I knew I had to try DCT ownership at some point. Although I heavily favor manual vs DCT in a car, the novelty in a motorcycle intrigued me. Motorcycling is a sport where a small shift in one variable can change the entire experience. And DCT is one huge variable.

My 2013 Manual NC700X was almost bone stock, save for a Dan Moto exhaust and a broken frunk latch. What I learned from the 6 hour round trip picking it up from the seller, a young logging company owner, is that an NC700X fits in the back of a 2012 Ford Transit Connect van (luckily). And that in his town south of Binghampton, there's only logging, rock, and heroin from NYC. Every year, logging and rock work is disappearing, but there's only more heroin.

To be continued while I upload pics from my cell...

JJ

DD951A5F-6598-4168-AE3B-41CF2C9F9D23.jpgFAA030C5-E93A-497A-B124-392E743763BF.jpg2D90178D-1589-4E5C-B243-A92049A14B20.jpgCAB4E3BC-1653-4C57-92F1-ED8F6DE056FC.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome!

That's the way to go! I'd love to add a DCT to my garage, too...but I think one bike will do for now! :D

Do you plan on farkling up the manual?

Welcome!

That's the way to go! I'd love to add a DCT to my garage, too...but I think one bike will do for now! :D

Do you plan on farkling up the manual?

Hey superdooper,

I'm in the process of moving over most of the accessories to the manual. The DCT is a real hoot, and I especially like taking my girlfriend on it. Up and down shifts are so seamless, she probably doesn't even know I'm shifting! Going full throttle from a stop and banging out near instant shifts at recline is also addictive... I can see why high end sports cars are almost exclusively DCT now. You certainty don't give up anything in performance.

In the end though, I'd have to give the nod to the good ole primitive clutch cable and lever. After all's said and done, I enjoy both, but I enjoy a clutch lever more.

Will still be riding both for a short while longer. What awesome bikes.

PS. The biggest growing pain in owning the DCT was no fault of the bike's. I've owned an Aprilia Mana 850 which also has auto/manual modes (via CVT). Wouldn't you know it, the thumb and index finger shifters are exactly reversed on each bike! Took me a while to reprogram my brain that thumb means downshift on the Honda.

PS. The biggest growing pain in owning the DCT was no fault of the bike's. I've owned an Aprilia Mana 850 which also has auto/manual modes (via CVT). Wouldn't you know it, the thumb and index finger shifters are exactly reversed on each bike! Took me a while to reprogram my brain that thumb means downshift on the Honda.

Amazing how dumb (and unsafe) that really is.
Imagine a car maker switching the blinker and shift levers.

Amazing how dumb (and unsafe) that really is.
Imagine a car maker switching the blinker and shift levers.

Agree, but I think it speaks to the infancy of "paddle shift" transmissions in bikes. No one's figured out the agreed upon convention yet.

Seeing Honda's sale success with the NC and widespread use of DCT in its line, hopefully other manufacturers take Honda's lead and stick to thumb downshift, index upshift. Plus, it just feels cooler clicking off 5 full throttle upshift with your index finger!

Also, thank God BMW adopted the standard left thumb blinker switchgear and ditched the left turn signal left thumb, right turn signal right thumb arrangement. What STUPIDER idea is there than to delegate your throttle / brake hand to signaling? Especially as you're about to turn or after you turn, when you're assured to need throttle and brake use? Now you Harley, fix that junk.

Cool looking garage. Would like to see more of that. Man cave with quarters in the loft?

Wish I could say it was mine! Belonged to the gent who sold me the manual NC. Exactly right, man cave with a loft. The International sign hanging over the barn door was from a dealer that went out of business. Lights up and everything. He said he gets offers to buy it all the time. Haha.

Rules for vehicle control configuration are set by government agencies the vehicle is sold in. In the US, I think the only regulations pertaining to automatic transmission vehicles is the order of the gears, e.g., P, R, N, D, 2, 1, and vehicles can only be started in P or N. Nothing about selecting, or changing gears. Even for cars, there is no standard for paddle shifters. I believe the only time the DOT implemented motorcycle control regulations was in the '60s for shifting: left foot, 1 down, the rest up and rear wheel brake: right foot. Prior to that the shifter could be on the left or right, with 1 up, or down, and the rear brake could be on either side. Configuration depended on which country the bike was made in.

Hello Forum,

After reading every review out there, the prospect of a fun, torquey twin with gas mileage that beats my first bike, a brand new 1999 Ninja 250R, was just too tempting to resist. So I did what any (ir)rational motorcyclist would do. I bought 2 NC700Xs- one DCT, one Manual.

Ha! I am on the same path!

Just sold off my Ninja 300 and bought a NC700X manual and now cruising craigslist for a DCT version.

But I am still in love with my first bike, a Yamaha Tmax 500cc scooter!

cars have the same issue, no standards.

I was looking at an used Aprilia Mana 850 also, beautiful bike. But I got nervous reading about the electronic CVT issues.

cars have the same issue, no standards.

I was looking at an used Aprilia Mana 850 also, beautiful bike. But I got nervous reading about the electronic CVT issues.

Yup, do you and rubenstein remember when Shiftonic and other "shiftable" automatic (classic torque converter) transmissions first became all the rage? There was every arrangement possible to control shifting. To upshift, some manufacturers wanted you to bump the PRND shifter sideways to the left for every upshift. Some bumped to the right for upshift and left for downshift. Some upshift back. Others forward. Some had steering a buttons on the wheel. But everyone's buttons were placed differently and frequently at odds with each other. It was a mess!

It was never worth the effort, those cars always shifted as slow as a torque converter could go anyway!

The Mana was a loooooot of fun. It was my second Aprilia and definitely deepened my love for the brand.

Nice!! Yeah go find that lonely NC a twin. Haha. A friend is seriously considering my DCT so it may end up with him. If not, I'll probably list it for sale soon. What my troll side will miss the most is taking off from a stop light with one hand then coming to the next stop also with one hand. Once, a friend was riding behind me unaware of the transmission and was completely bewildered!

Ha! Picked up a 2013 NC700X DCT with 6k miles tonight! I was grinning on the ride back home. Love it, easy to ride like my Tmax. And feels way smoother vs the clutch version.
I think I gonna really enjoy this bike. :)

450a6bb5b40961f55b0e1cc0c5a6a9b1.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, look, we're turning it into a trend!

Well, I gonna get rid of one soon. I don't have the space to keep 3 bikes. I think I will sell the Clutch one. Here's the main thing that disappoints me. The DCT is awesome in traffic (partly because I suck at clutch, still noobish) but my DCT bike feels more sluggish in the twisties vs the clutch version. I realize there's a 30+ lb difference between my two NC's (I got a centerstand on the DCT), but I am surprise to feel that much difference.

Also, don't like the auto S mode in the twisties, end up using manual + - shifters. Weird thing is I think I prefer using my foot, don't like moving my left hand. (they have this option on the Mana if I recall)

BTW, after spending a week on my NC700X DCT, I just jumped on my Tmax to grab some food. Good lord! these two bikes can't be more different. (very similar weight wise)
My Tmax feels like it will run circles around the NC!
the CVT is like butter, so smooth, especially vs the NC in auto D mode.
I do like the NC's height in traffic, but my tmax is narrower and the mirrors are in a better spot height wise.

I will probably keep the DCT for a couple of months and see where I go from there.

Originally, I wanted to get the cb500x. I am looking for more fun in the twisties where I enjoy riding the most.

Last edited:
Back