• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New couchsurfing project...

peergum

Reaction score
r-atw.com
Hey Folks,

I've started using couchsurfing.com for my last 'round the states trip, and discover several inconveniences with that system, for both the surfer and the host. I'm thinking about creating a new system that would be closer to airbnb so possibly safer and better defined for both the host and the surfer, but still at a cheap pricetag.

If anyone has feedback, comment, suggestion or critiques (quite a bit early for the latter, though), I'll be happy to listen.

If anyone wants to get on board with the project, PM me about how you could help. Basically, the plan would be to build a website and both an iPhone and Android apps. Looking mostly for "active" people rather than simple idea-givers.

And finally, I'm mostly thinking about building something that will be useful for people, not about building the next hi-tech venture worth millions or billions.

Cheers,
Phil

(note: also cross-posted on AdvRider)

Hi!
What persons are you looking for? UX designers, DB devs, mobile app devs, web devs?
What about hosting, bandwidth, etc?
Do you plan adding some features for motorcycle riders (like possibility to store bike overnight, to wash/clean it, do some home-garage repairs etc)?

Hi!
What persons are you looking for? UX designers, DB devs, mobile app devs, web devs?
What about hosting, bandwidth, etc?
Do you plan adding some features for motorcycle riders (like possibility to store bike overnight, to wash/clean it, do some home-garage repairs etc)?

I can work with the site front and back ends, APIs, DB myself. For the language, I'll probably go with PHP despite the downsides, because it's faster and for the MVP (minimum viable product) I don't want to go with Java - later maybe, and since I'm not an expert on Java from far, then I'll need some good Java skills.
A proper UX designer would be welcome - I can design but wouldn't say I'm top notch.
I can code on an iPhone app - mediocrely - but never did on an Android one.

For the hosting I'm used to AWS so I'd go that way to make it simple and faster to implement. Sizes and bandwidth is mostly a question of how much money I put in it, and will be easy to scale later on.

I plan to add features for motorcyclist and cyclist indeed, and think about having some kind of checkbox list of what the host can provide (and the surfer is looking for). Hosting price may vary based on available features - many things to define in that area though, I want price to be reasonable for both parties, not just another airbnb unaffordable for surfers.

On a side note, I also want to make the system fully open-source. As already mentioned, money is not my goal here.

Well, I'm a hobby php/db/js dev myself, and I prefer php for fast prototyping too. I have around 0 knowledge in mobile apps (usually we do mobile apps using webview and just storing a login/pass on device).
I will ask my fellow UX designer if she wish to participate.
Probably start with github for source, trello for task management, and sicne you've got AWS with AWS :)
Sent you my mobile phone number for whatsapp/viber/telegram if you wish faster comms (I don't use facetime).

Regarding checkboxes for matching my suggestion is 3 position slider:
"do not care" - "good to have but not really important" - "absolutely must have"

Also very importand thing is spam blocking and rating systems, to filter fake and fraud, also to check if host is really has what it said it has.

Long time no talk. Been pretty busy since returning from my 'round the USA trip, and in particular on this project since the beginning of January. Project's beta version is very close to ready, so I'll need my first batch of users shortly. If you're interested and either provide hosting services (couch, bed or tent space) or look for hosts regularly, let me know in private and I'll send you the URL when ready.

Since one picture is better than a thousand words, here's a quick peek at one sample page on the site...

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 6.22.08 PM.jpg

Cheers,
Phil

This is great you are moving forward!

Thanks. Yes it is very motivating to feel I'm close to be be able to release something soon. Mid to end March is the target for the initial version.

And I feel this project could be quite a help for tent space hosts and seekers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back