• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New '16 DCT Owner... minor question

My 2016 doesn't have any noticeable low speed clutch jitter like that. Sometimes when I am about a car length behind another stopped vehicle at a light or sign, I can creep forward so slowly that I have to work the bars a little to stay upright. There's no surging of power and no need to drag the brake. I can creep along in stop and go rush hour traffic without ever stopping or putting a foot down... Or braking. All throttle and steering. Maybe this is the new DCT?

Having had two previous dcts I now have the 2016 dct bike. It is better at very low speed in traffic, but the previous ones were very good too - most of the time It was the odd occasion when it couldn't decide which lowish gear to be in that caused the bump and thump but I think Honda have now programmed the clutches to soften this effect - probably by applying more clutch slip if the bike is under a certain roadspeed.
Mike

My 2016 doesn't have any noticeable low speed clutch jitter like that. Sometimes when I am about a car length behind another stopped vehicle at a light or sign, I can creep forward so slowly that I have to work the bars a little to stay upright. There's no surging of power and no need to drag the brake. I can creep along in stop and go rush hour traffic without ever stopping or putting a foot down... Or braking. All throttle and steering. Maybe this is the new DCT?

I don't think I was very clear. When moving along behind cars that are slowing down or stopped, it's like you said, the bike slows down, no problem, no juddering, and usually no foot down. And when we start going again, the bike wants to go and can take off like a bat outta hell. BUT, when I want to take off from a stop very, very slowly...as in, creeping in to the garage...it wants to go, go, go. I have to focus on very slowly opening the throttle and then slightly letting off so I can ease in there instead of plowing in & going out the back side through the wall! LoL! So, when I was trying to pull out of that parking space I mentioned, I wanted to creep, not plow ahead. I will practice more & more as time goes on. I LOVE this bike but my slow-speed maneuvers need some work.

I don't think I was very clear. When moving along behind cars that are slowing down or stopped, it's like you said, the bike slows down, no problem, no juddering, and usually no foot down. And when we start going again, the bike wants to go and can take off like a bat outta hell. BUT, when I want to take off from a stop very, very slowly...as in, creeping in to the garage...it wants to go, go, go. I have to focus on very slowly opening the throttle and then slightly letting off so I can ease in there instead of plowing in & going out the back side through the wall! LoL! So, when I was trying to pull out of that parking space I mentioned, I wanted to creep, not plow ahead. I will practice more & more as time goes on. I LOVE this bike but my slow-speed maneuvers need some work.

When I pull onto my gravel driveway I have to ride between two vehicles while going up an incline and then perform a 3-point turn (K-turn for US taught drivers?), within a 12-foot radius in front of said 2 cars, an RV and my porch steps. I obviously have to use a very light touch on the throttle! I've thought about manhandling it, however I'd likely drop it :) And it is great low-speed practice! I've never experienced anything but smooth movement out of the bike. Coming from my PCX150, it did take some getting used to because you're right, not much twist and you're really moving!!

I just started my daughter on the scooter in a car park. One of the exercises is to ride the white line as slow as she can go without feet down and without wobble. She also has to do other slow speed maneuvers too as many many accidents occur <10mph. She's dropped it once, so far. I know she wants to go faster, but she understands that she's not going anywhere until she convinces me she can really handle the low speeds <10 and then the <35 speeds and gradually increasing. She's learning throttle response as well as the balance. Go find yourself an empty car park or take some cheap plastic cones (sports store) and work it, it is well worth every minute. And make sure you're wearing your helmet still. It can affect perception, head control, getting used to the weight etc., but also for safety. A guy bought a new bike and left the dealership, came to a stop and fell over. No helmet, head hit curb. Coma then death was the result.

The idle speed should drop to 1200(I think). If your bike is idling at (say) 1500rpm it will probably be difficult to control at moving off slowly. I tend to use my front brake if I need to get going before the engine has warmed up. Also check that there is plenty of throttle free slack or that might be causing too high revs.
Mike

Most motorcycles are like that and you use the friction zone and rear brake to temper it. On the DCT it requires a bit more finesse on the throttle to make up for lack of clutch lever. Check you idle rpm should be 1200 or so. Another option could be the G2 Throttle Tamer. It's a throttle tube with a non linear pull so it's very gentle opening and more aggressive the more you roll on. Also check your throttle cables they may need to be lubed/replaced...

Back