• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need new tires...

jggassert

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sure, based upon the numerous threads, that this issue has been dealt with, but I honestly can't filter through all of the discussions.

I need new tires, the OEM lasted me 10k+. I am looking for a tire that will handle well on pavement, but also has enough grip to get me over some prepared trails.

I use my motorcycle for commuting and volunteer at several events as a motorcycle medic so I need some solid control on unprepared flat/small incline surfaces throughout the riding season.

I was looking at some Avon 90/10's and others with a slightly more aggressive tread.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

How much you want to spend is important when suggesting tires. The Conti Motion rear is a good tire at $79. The Michelin Pilot Road 4 is better, but at $167 for the rear it is over twice the price.

My favorite street tire is the Michelin PR3-4. I don't think there is a better tire for wet conditions out there. Dry pavement is even better.
The PR's aren't the cheapest tire out there, but last 10k miles or more from my experience.
With that said, I have a set of Shinko 705's waiting to be installed. The price is hard to beat, especially if you change them yourself.

Cost isn't an issue. I would rather buy quality that will last and give me some use, instead of cheap that will only last a few miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Shinko's because of the reviews here on the forum, since I take the not so nice route sometimes. If the TCK 80 would last 8,000 miles, I would be running them.

Last edited:
My favorite street tire is the Michelin PR3-4. I don't think there is a better tire for wet conditions out there. Dry pavement is even better.

These are great tires. I'm about to install my third PR-4 rear. Granted, the roads you ride determine the life, This will be the third time I have put 13,000 miles on the rear tire. I made the front last 18,000 but it was getting a bit tipsy so I don't recommended taking it that far. I ride on wet roads the same way I do on dry and these tries hang on tight. I have full confidence in these tires taking high speed corners on wet roads.

I have to put out one things though. Being honest, the PR-4s are a bit slippery on wet grass and mud. They are made for pavement.

Cost isn't an issue. I would rather buy quality that will last and give me some use, instead of cheap that will only last a few miles.

This is how I approach things and this is why I buy the PR-4s but 85% of my riding is commuting. I take the occasional gravel back road and can ride those at 45MPH if the gravel is not too loose. Compact dirt is fine but when it gets wet, watch out.

I think you'll find as you read through all the threads and comments that the most highly spoken off tires on the Conti Motions, the PR-4s, and the Shinko 705s. I'm not sure if anyone has ever done a poll but those three are probably the most widely used.

Many people on this forum have been speaking highly of the Shinko 705 Dual Sport Tires. It's a 80/20 tire, this might meet your needs for some occasional trail riding. You may also think about the Heidenau K76. Both of these would be my picks, if I were looking for a light off road tire.

I'm strictly a tarmac warrior. For that use, I would recommend the Bridgestone T30.

I ride 100% road. Should I get PR-4s as Standard or GT?
It seems as GT are not available in 160/60zr17 for rear.

For the NC700, get the standard PR4. The GT is for heavier bikes.

I'll try to explain a little of what I have learned about motorcycle tires after 50 years. This is how other folks have explained motorcycle tires to me.

Motorcycle tires are made of Silicone rubber. I hear folks say all the time that their tire is better because it has a silicone grip surface. Hate to tell folks this most any motorcycle tire I know of is made of silicone rubbler.

Silicone rubber was the result of the efforts of various chemical companies across the world searching for a material that could handle extreme temperatures. The first appearance of the silicone elastomer came in 1943. It was made available for mass consumption worldwide in 1947. In the decades since its debut, silicone material has been popular for use in automotive, food handling, electronic, medical, and construction applications. This is primarily because silicone rubber has a broad working temperature range that allows it to handle high and low extremes. Silicone products also exhibit good levels of weather and chemical resistance, making them ideal for a host of outdoor and industrial uses. Chemical companies offer a variety of different types of silicone sheets that are meant for specific purposes. The strengths of this synthetic elastomer are hard to ignore.

Race tires for asphalt are made of a silicone rubber that sticks to the track. Little to no groves in track tires. When the tire gets hot, it has a texture almost like gummy bears. It peels off the tire as you are driving, looks sort of like hand rolled cigerettes. One can take their fingernail and cut into the surface of track tires. Soft rubber is a term often used. These tires are always consumed in a day at the track, if not sooner. These tires are expensive, but not at all intended for street use.

Street Sport bike tires use more of the soft rubber with some harder rubber. These tires have some rain groves, but not many. These tires do stick real well to the asphalt. Most folks get around 3,000 to 5,000 miles on these tires. These tires are expensive. Center of tire ususally has no rain groves, makes the tire run smoother on the asphalt.

Street bike tires (NC7) use diffenent amounts of soft hard rubber/hard rubber mixtures. The greater amounts of soft rubber mean less tire life, but better the tire will stick to asphalt. These tires have rain groves in different amounts. Usually the center of the tire has very few rain groves to make the tire run smoother on the asphalt. Tire wear usually between 6,000 to 8,000 miles on these tires.

The more soft rubber the more expensive the tire and the better the handling, but the lower the mileage will be. Remember the more hard rubber in the tire, the greater the milage, but the less the tire will stick.

Percentage of Mixture tires (off road / road tires) come in all shapes and sizes for folks who have a reason for the rubber mixture, shape, groves, and center line of the tire. Some folks want to sling mud and grip in the dirt. Others what to mostly ride on asphalt but some dirt riding. These tires can get very expensive.

Auto tires are a lot harder mixture of rubber that do not stick as well per tire to the asphalt. Remember autos have 4 tires. Yes, auto tires do get a lot more mileage than motorcycle tires... Almost all the folks I know who have put auto tires on their two wheel motorcycle had gone down............

So the choice is yours, stick or slide on the asphalt.

Last edited:
I've decided to order a second set of wheels and bearings so I can setup a pair of dual sport tires for the few times I am not 100% on asphalt and get a decent set of slicks for cruising.

Just means I'll have to spend more $$ but I think I will be better off.

Back