• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need longevity. Sprockets and Chain

Deckyon

Reaction score
raven.deckyon.com
I am starting to look at replacements for the chain and sprockets for my NC. As I am not worried about weight but about quality/longevity, I am looking to get some good sprockets and a good chain. Something that will last for quite a while. Now, I am not in a hurry for either at this point, as they look fine and with the chain adjustment yesterday the chain is back to 1.3/8" flex with no kinks. Also, I have just over 11,000 miles on these, and hope to get a few more out of them.

What are some sprockets to look for? What is a good replacement chain to get?

I've had a good experience with...

Chain [HERE] $75 (Nov. 2015)
JT Sprockets:
Rear[HERE] $30
Front [HERE] $20

I get 12-14K miles on the Continental tires, and I've taken to changing sprockets every OTHER tire change,
so I get 24-28K miles on the sprockets.

Last edited:
Typically the front sprocket is make of a harder material and does not wear at the same rate as the rear sprocket.

The front sprocket typically could be used on 2 or more chains before requiring replacement. That's how it was back in my early riding career on the bikes that I had bikes made back in the 1970's and early 1980's. If there were signs of wear, you'd replacement it or continue to use it.

It might have changed since. I went to shaft driven bikes for many years and left chains behind. I never had to replace the front sprocket on my CB360 for the entire 10 years I own it. I put a new o-ring 530 chain on after restoring it and never had to mess this it much.

Perhaps the 530 chain is a stronger chain than the 520 that's used on the NC700X. :confused:

Last edited:
I've had a good experience with...

Chain [HERE] $75 (Nov. 2015)
JT Sprockets:
Rear[HERE] $30
Front [HERE] $20

I get 12-14K miles on the Continental tires, and I've taken to changing sprockets every OTHER tire change,
so I get 24-28K miles on the sprockets.

The links for the chain and rear sprocket are broken (it looks to be an email where you are asking for support). Any way you could post it up?

Last edited:
Chain longevity equals a good oiler. Continuous lubrication is the key...

This has been hash and rehashed....here and often appears in cycle magazine Q&A, tech section and other forums.
Not everyone agrees with this theory. The modern oring chain needs only enough lube to keep rust away. Excessive lube can attract dirt and dust making natures best grinding compound.

Most agree any thing that compromises the oring sealing letting the factory lube out or water in ......is death for the chain. Once the o-ring seal fails chain noise, kinky links and severe tight and loose spots will follow quickly

A popular chain choice is the D.I.D XV2 x-ring chain. It's reasonably priced at $75 and is a better chain than the OEM. The chain comes with a clip type master link so you'll want to buy a rivet type link separately. The black color chain is less cost than the gold and I think the only difference is looks. This is the one I believe StratTuner was trying to link to.

Last edited:
Like 670cc, I use the DID chain and JT Sprockets. Wasteing time and money without changing chain and sprockets at the same time. No matter what I do when it comes to lubicating the chain, I always wear out all chains at 12,000 miles on the NC7. I did try to go over 12,000 miles one time with a chain on a NC7. Let me tell you that it is not fun laying on your belly on the ground in the hot sun on the side of the interstate trying to put together a chain that you just slung. I do carry a few extra links and chain breaker with me at all times.

Last edited:
....Also, I have just over 11,000 miles on these, and hope to get a few more out of them.

What are some sprockets to look for? What is a good replacement chain to get?

After hearing what everyone was getting from the stock chain, I was thrilled to get 16,000 miles on mine. It didn't need much adjustment and looked good at 15K, but then it started making that clunking noise accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears. No kinks. Just clunks. I think you're smart to have the chain and sprockets already in you pocket.

I'm another vote for the DID 520 VX chain with a rivet link and the standard 16T/43T sprockets.

Last edited:
Motus claims lifetime supersprox sprockets and a 20K mile chain. They claims the chain does not stretch, so I assume the wear is in the rollers.
I have a Motobriiz oiler on my NC. The company owner/founder says he has 34K miles on his oiler equipped VFR. IMO an always oiled chain will double in mileage from the hit or miss lubing of the typical chain.

I've a tutor oilier on my nc700x since it had about 1,500 miles on it. Now it has over 23,000 miles and I am still on the original chain which still seems quiet good. I use regular cheap motor oil on it and it does make a little mess but I never have to oil it. I clean it about every 5,000 to 8,000 miles with kerosean and the blue type of paper/cloth towel (shop towel)..

This has been hash and rehashed....here and often appears in cycle magazine Q&A, tech section and other forums.
Not everyone agrees with this theory. The modern oring chain needs only enough lube to keep rust away. Excessive lube can attract dirt and dust making natures best grinding compound.

Most agree any thing that compromises the oring sealing letting the factory lube out or water in ......is death for the chain. Once the o-ring seal fails chain noise, kinky links and severe tight and loose spots will follow quickly
O-rings extends chain life but you still have friction & pressure between sprockets & chain.

Excessive lube? This is a problem of sprays because they're sticky. It's not a problem of oil which actually cleans the chain.

The ideal environment even for an o-ring chain is an oil bath. I common practice in industrial uses...

Of course you can always adjust the oiler to have the proper flow (according the speed and road type).

I've installed a Scottoiler eSystem in 2012 and I'm very happy with it! I've almost forgot that I've a chain. No tight points, no need to adjust it so far (12,500 mi with the original), and I'm cleaning it just once every year...

I have 8100 - 8200 miles on my JT chain. It has stretched significantly, whereas my other chains did not. They still got kinks in the links, though. I'll be a bit surprised if this chain exceeds 12k miles. I have a Motobriiz oiler on my NCX.

Back