• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need help!

DS11

Reaction score
Visit site
2016 nc700x dct, bike starts but no lights on dash or turn signals but headlight works. Also it won't shift. I rode it last Saturday and everything was fine, two days later All of this happens. Battery was original so I replaced that (figured that wasn't the issue but did it anyway). Any ideas?

Possible corrosion in an electrical connection or on the ground bus bar. Check electrical schematic and identify circuitry common to all the functions that have failed, then proceed with visual, physical, and voltmeter checks in that area.

How did you “check” the fuses and relays? With visual inspection, or with thorough electrical testing?

Possible corrosion in an electrical connection or on the ground bus bar. Check electrical schematic and identify circuitry common to all the functions that have failed, then proceed with visual, physical, and voltmeter checks In that area.

How did you “check” the fuses and relays? With visual inspection, or with thorough electrical testing?
Visual inspection on fuses and a meter with the relays. Thanks for the reply I'll check some other connections

Visual inspection on fuses and a meter with the relays. Thanks for the reply I'll check some other connections
Ok the bike does go into drive but won't go out of 1st gear, after about a 100 yards(meters) it goes into neutral, I stop turn off the bike then it takes several minutes until it will start again and go into drive.

Ok the bike does go into drive but won't go out of 1st gear, after about a 100 yards(meters) it goes into neutral, I stop turn off the bike then it takes several minutes until it will start again and go into drive.
I have a friend with an Africa Twin DCT. One time we were on a ride, and his bike would go about 100 yards, then go to neutral. Cycling motorcycle power allowed him to ride another 100 yards. The DCT had no useful limp home mode, so the bike was basically disabled and he had it towed. The cause of the problem was a damaged rear ABS sensor, which the DCT also uses for transmission control. I just throw that out there in case it will help with your diagnosis.

Have you had a tire change or other reason a wheel was off recently? Or perhaps related to the other electrical problems, the ABS has lost power.

... no lights on dash or turn signals but headlight works. Also it won't shift. ...
Check the fuse, which is marked on the fuse cover as (ILLUMI/STOP/HORN) 7.5A. In some diagrams, depending on the version, it may be fuse 5 or 7 or any other. This fuse protects the power supply circuit to the combination meter (lights on dash in your case), turn signal relay and also the VS sensor. If the VS sensor does not send a signal, the PCM may not allow gear shifting in the DCT.
If this is not the fuse problem then you need to get the correct wiring diagram and check the connections on the wires supplying power to the fuse.

Well I decided to go back and check the fuses again and I either missed it or I'm going blind but it was the (illumi/stop/horn) 7.5A fuse. Thanks everyone for the replies. Stay safe out there!

Well I decided to go back and check the fuses again and I either missed it or I'm going blind but it was the (illumi/stop/horn) 7.5A fuse. Thanks everyone for the replies. Stay safe out there!

That stopped it from shifting into gear and running? I would never have suspected that.

I used to frequent an RV forum. I was amazed how many times the OP said they “checked the fuses” and that aspect was quickly dismissed, only to find out on perhaps page 10 of the thread that a fuse was indeed open. That is why in post #3 I questioned your fuse check method.

Glad to hear you found a problem. However, fuses rarely open without reason. You may want to inspect the wiring in that circuit for chafing or possible grounding to the frame somewhere. You don’t want this to happen again out in the wild, as you can see the transmission will fail to operate.

That stopped it from shifting into gear and running? I would never have suspected that.
In vehicles with a manual transmission, the driver decides when to change gears based on information about the vehicle's speed. This information is sent to the display by the VS sensor. In vehicles with automatic multi-speed gearbox, the computer (e.g. PCM) receives this information from the VS sensor and decides to change gears based on the parameters set by the system designers. If the VS signal does not reach the PCM, the computer is "blind" and does not allow further driving or only allows driving in first gear.

Correction - I found the problem. And this while on my "recharging vacation" on the other side of the big pond.
It's working... recharging I mean. :cool:
True. But, I purposely wrote “a problem” because the reason for the open fuse is not yet determined. The open fuse could be a symptom of a component or wiring defect, which could be “the problem”. Note I wrote “could be”.

True. But, I purposely wrote “a problem” because the reason for the open fuse is not yet determined. ...
So your correct response should be something like: "I guess this isn't the end of the problem because you should be looking for what caused the fuse to blow?" There wouldn't be any argument over who found the problem, right?
But now I need to connect for further charging... Good night... Waiter!

So your correct response should be something like: "I guess this isn't the end of the problem because you should be looking for what caused the fuse to blow?" There wouldn't be any argument over who found the problem, right?
But now I need to connect for further charging... Good night... Waiter!
No argument. You have been a great help.

Back