• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC750X 8K Service amendment

damon

Reaction score
Visit site
Just booked my bike in for its 8k service on Friday, and to my delight you do not have to have the valves checked. Honda say that it is now part of the 16k Service.

So cost are reduced from a quoted £360 to now £160.

Extra money for Father Christmas this year :) :p

I asked them to look at my faulty trip computer issues also..i won't hold my breath on that one :mad:

Anyone think the valves should be checked pre 16k miles?:confused:

Short answer: No.

I'm thinking if it's good enough for official Honda corporate policy to have decided 16K valve check intervals were the way to go, the only reason for someone to check earlier would be for something to do whilst bored, or just for fun. (nothing wrong with that IMHO)

Since (I believe) you fellows across the pond are stuck with requiring Dealership services to keep your warrantees in check, if you cared about such a thing, then perhaps best to wait until after your warranty expires?

The question that follows on from that is whether anything was changed in the design from the 700 to the 750 or whether this is due to Honda being initially cautious and then with more data relaxing the intervals?

The question that follows on from that is whether anything was changed in the design from the 700 to the 750 or whether this is due to Honda being initially cautious and then with more data relaxing the intervals?

I think this was semi-answered a while back, when someone mentioned that the owner's manuals etc., for the US 2014 700's, continued to specify the 8K valve check, but I'm not 100% positive of that. Obviously we've all seen/know that even official manuals can goof up and either neglect to update some pretty crucial things, or take a while to be corrected, so the possibility does exist that the 16K could likely apply to the new US 700's, and possibly the original '12, '13 models.

Based on print available rather than conclusive empirical evidence, and the fact that it's so easy and cheap to check an NCX's valves, for the first 8K recommended check, personally I think it should not be completely dismissed as unnecessary.

I have yet to find any hint that the valve train components were tweaked in any way on the 750 models, which is kind of a good sign though. :D

Since (I believe) you fellows across the pond are stuck with requiring Dealership services to keep your warrantees in check, if you cared about such a thing, then perhaps best to wait until after your warranty expires?

I don't think that's quite true, I believe the only stipulation is that only Honda parts are used, along with specified fluids, I think?

Damon, what do they do for £160? Isn't it basically just an oil and filter change?

I am not sure Jelly, but if it is it is quite expensive. There is a shortage of good bike garages where i live, so pretty much reliant on the main dealer, and with that the main dealer prices.

That is under recall now. You should get a letter from your dealer.

In Oz maybe but not in the USA. The NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Admininstration) only lists mine and two others' complaints about the trip meters.

I tried to post a link to the results page but that link doesn't go anywhere. Here is the page to look for recalls in the US:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Last edited:
I am not sure Jelly, but if it is it is quite expensive. There is a shortage of good bike garages where i live, so pretty much reliant on the main dealer, and with that the main dealer prices.

If Jelly is right, you have the option of not relying on someone else.

From what I got when I talked to Honda about the tripmeters, it will be a product update, not a recall item.

I have not received the letter yet, soon means different things to different people I guess.

You'd know if you needed a valve check, 16,00 is still too soon for a modern twin, I have vented my spleen about this before.

You do not need dealer servicing to maintain your warranty, you just have to maintain your bike per the service she duke, and for valve clearance that is inspect, not adjust, inspection can be a test ride and listening, not removing the radiator, draining the fluid, and pulling the covers.

I keep my receipts for the approved Honda fluids and parts and note the work carried out in my owners manual with mileage, placingthe note 'home serviced' where the dealer stamp would go.

Never had an issue

People should take NOTE of the COUNTRY of ORIGIN of a poster. I replied to a UK member, because I know how the UK handles the 750 trip reset issues. Australia is very similar, but no letters that I know of, here the dealers handle it not Honda Australia, so just ask the dealer the bike came from.

The US is different to most of the rest as usual, my comment should have included a disclaimer as certain people did not take note of the facts, such as the OP's country of origin.

Last edited:
I thought the trip meter resetting was caused by turning off the Honda HISS indicator light?

And in the US we don't have HISS, and do have the same problem.

I didn't realise that HISS wasn't standard. I was surprised with this latest purchase that alongside HISS the NC750X is also fully Datatag marked and registered, in the UK anyway.

Seems a shame that such a good security measure is absent across the pond

Back