• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X vs. NC700S

2soon2old

Reaction score
Visit site
This is probably a really dumb question, and maybe belongs in a different forum, but: What are the technical differences between the NC700X and the NC700S? They look the same except for the tires. (I haven't bought a shop manual yet.)

Why do I ask? I just recently picked up an off-highway-vehicle (OHV) pamphlet published by Idaho Parks & Recreation Dept (IPRD). In the pamphlet IPRD classifies dual purpose (NC700X) bikes along with dirt bikes that are subject to an OHV annual tax stamp. This irks me, because other off-highway vehicles, that could be classified as "dual purpose", such as Jeeps, 4WD SUVS, etc. are not taxed. Not to denigrate the NC700X, but I consider mine to be similar in capabilities to the Jeep Wrangler I had for several years, except my NC700X is more fun. (Well, the Jeep was better in winter.)

I plan to write to the District legislators to complain. So..how accurate is the statement like: "If I change to street tires, and remove the X on the label, the NC700X becomes a NC700S and is no longer a dual purpose bike."

Thanks

I have to ask...a street legal bike (with a department of motor vehicle issued plate and registration tag) also requires an OHV permit if the state considers the vehicle off-road capable?

I've never heard of the NC700X classified by anyone as being "dual purpose" by the usual definition. It's a street bike unless you modify it. It's not even an adventure bike until you modify it into one. Honda itself calls it an "adventure style" bike, with style being the key word.

I don't think the S is available in the US. Have an S here in Canada and only know some minor differences.
1) Seat height - the riding height on the S is lower than the X.
2) Ride position - the S has lower rise bar bar so the rider is slightly leaned forward relative to the X.
3) There are minor differences in the fairing especially the beak of the bike.

I think you really want to know if you removed the X from the from the sticker could you impersonate an S. That all depends on the the knowledge of the person trying to collect the tax :) The original model of the bike is on the vin tag stamped on the bike. If the tax is collected at the DMV it would be hard to get around it. If it is collected by a park warden you might be able to verbally kung fu your way out of it with the S argument.

To answer the question in the original post, the S has lower bars, less suspension travel, and the plastic bodywork is completely different in the upper forward section of the bike because the X has a frame mounted fairing/headlight, and the S has a fork mounted fairing/headlight. Both S and X have the same street tires. Arguing those differences would likely get you nowhere with the government.

I'm confused by the line in your post that says, "dual purpose (NC700X) bikes." Who said the X was dual purpose? Does the IPRD pamphlet specifically list the model? Does your bike's title list it as dual purpose?

Last edited:
To answer the question in the original post, the S has lower bars, less suspension travel, and the plastic bodywork is completely different in the upper forward section of the bike because the X has a frame mounted fairing/headlight, and the S has a fork mounted fairing/headlight. Both S and X have the same street tires. Arguing those differences would likely get you nowhere with the government.

I'm confused by the line in your post that says, "dual purpose (NC700X) bikes." Who said the X was dual purpose? Does the IPRD pamphlet specifically list the model? Does your bike's title list it as dual purpose?

Thank you for the technical info. That was exactly the answer I was seeking. Now, on to the question of nomenclature, and some more input about the Idaho OHV tax.

I can't remember exactly where I encountered "dual purpose". It might have been last summer when I was first looking at mine. The salesman might have used the term when I commented on the knobby TKC80 tires that looked pretty much off-pavement to me. Perhaps it was articles such as this "Taste of Dakar", which I encountered while I was researching my eventual purchase. This article certainly leaves the impression that the NC700X is "dual purpose". Then there are the dealers such as this one, who describes the model specifically as "dual purpose". However, as I was browsing the Honda Website, I discovered that Honda uses "dual purpose" only as a synonym for "dual-sport". Also, the NC700X is found in Honda's "Street" lineup under "Adventure". So...Sorry to cause confusion. If left to my own devices, and based on experience from long ago, I would refer to the bike as a "scrambler", which is not exactly correct, either.

In the ID definition of a "motorbike", which requires the tax for off-highway use, one finds the phrase: "...any self-propelled two wheeled motorcycle ... designed for or capable of traveling off developed roadways and highways...". There is no exclusion for highway-legal-and-licensed motorcycles. Using this definition, the 1948 HD flathead, of which I was a part owner in the late 1950s, would be classified as a "motorbike", since it was "capable" of off-highway use. Might even apply to the Gold Wing, if the off-highway is not too severe, but here I am writing from ignorance. More to the point, this definition is not applied to Jeeps, Blazers, Broncos, or any four-wheel drive pickup, all of which are "capable", and most are "designed" for off-highway, as well as licensed highway use. I now intend to use this exclusion to complain to the local legislators.

If I were wealthy, I might take the question to court.

Off thread: Has anyone participated in the Taste of Dakar?

Thanks to all for feedback.

Last edited:
Back