• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700/Suzuki DL650 comparison

So I'm writing the list to see if anyone on the forum:

a) has tried/owned both motorcycles and can report any of the critical differences you noticed

b) can provide any insight (besides what a 'v-strom vs nc700x' google or youtube search can)

The physical size difference is what I think will be a larger deciding factor for me. I, for whatever reason, have gotten used to and now enjoy the bulky fairing and tall frame of the DL650, "piloting" around this large mass of a machine. The NC700x's smaller frame seems like it's a blast to flick around, and I'm very interested in trying out the 'diesel-like' motor characteristics, while getting 60+ mpg.

Any insight appreciated!

Hey Klimber, I have had two DL650's and loved them both (K06 and K09 outfitted with Pelican side cases and otherwise set up for touring with MadStad bracket/windscreen/other farkels). I just took delivery of a 2016 750X DCT.

I seriously considered a new Vstrom when I started looking for a new bike last summer. I test rode a new Vstrom and a 2015 750X (Manual) and was really torn, but the availabity of the DCT made it a 'no brainer' for me. My riding is mostly commuting and day trips right now although I am sure I will add bags/top case at some point. The DCT is a joy to ride in stop/go traffic and I really notice the lower center of gravity compared to the Vstrom. The DCT is Sport mode really reminds me of the Vstrom in terms of performance--I am sure off the lline I could be faster on the Vstrom but the 750X has impressive torque and get up also and it is so damned smooth.

As much as I loved in particular my last Vstrom that had many happy miles up and down the Oregon Coast, I have no regrets about buying the 750X DCT. It continues to impress me every time I ride it over another rode that I used to visit on the Vstrom. I too liked the 'bulk' of the Vstrom but I actually find the compactness of the Honda in comparison to be a nice change also and like I said the lower COG is something you appreciate very quickly!

Just my 2 cents--good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine not having the frunk after a year if using it almost daily
It's all about the frunk for me. With my Pacific Coast it's the trunk. I don't care if both bikes are underpowered. Actually the NC feels much quicker and I love the gearbox. Without the frunk or the trunk I would probably be riding something else.

[...it's hard to imagine not having the frunk after a year if using it almost daily]

Is there life without a frunk?
Two great frunks

father-of-the-bride-martin-short-GC.jpg

I've owned an 08 DL650 and an 09 DL1000. I currently have a 2012 N700x. The Honda and the 650 strom are tied as my favorite bikes of all that I've owned, and there have been several. I really wanted to like the DL1000 but the extra weight completely changed the bikes characteristics. Add that with the few unforgivable quirks of the larger motor and it didn't hang around long. On paper, the strom is faster but, on the road, I think it's a wash. Neither are rockets and neither are slugs. I'm still getting used to the lower redline of the nc700 and the rev limiter kicks in hard when not paying attention. The nc700 does seem to run smoother at higher rpm. One thing I really liked about the strom was the large rear carrier. With a large set of soft saddlebags, I could load the strom down with enough gear to go camping for a week. And I don't pack lightly. It's going to cost several hundred dollars to set up the nc700 to carry the same load. Although it's been done by many, I wouldn't choose either bike as a great candidate for off road but, with the lower cog, I'd go with the nc700. The strom was too top heavy for me when the road became unstable, such as gravel or mud. I'd say both bikes were very capable in the twisties and both were capable of delivering more than I was able to handle with my abilities. Seats and windshields are very much dependent on the rider. I did get a fair amount of buffeting on the strom with the stock windshield. A lot more wind on the nc700 but less buffeting. Seats seem to be similar for me with both want to slide you forward towards the tank. Really like the frunk on the nc700 (even though I hate the term, along with farkle) as it allows me to ride without additional storage for 90% of my outings. Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with either. The bikes are similar enough and both have enough aftermarket support that either could be made to capably handle what you want them to do.

Thanks for the great feedback.

All the Honda's I've owned before I've been impressed with; and the NC700x seems like sort of a 'pinnacle' expression of what Honda is all about-- reliability, practicality, efficiency, ease of use, and performance!

I'm thinking since I've customized the Suzuki DL650 to my particular preferences, and have become familiar with its size, power, and handling, I'm going to get as much use out of it as I can before 'moving on'.

I do see an NC700x in my future, but maybe just not quite yet. It's hard since I want one NOW, but I don't think I can justify owning two motorcycles! =(

Seems the grass is always greener on the other side!

K

Sounds like you've been bitten by the new bike bug but aren't really in a situation where you actually need a new bike. Happens to me all the time. Generally, I'll put the time and money into getting a bike just the way I like it. Once that is done, I get bored and start looking for the next project. "This new bike has that ONE thing that I can't get on mine! It'll be SOOO much better! It'll make me love this new bike forever and ever!" From the outside looking in, I'd agree with the decision to keep the vstrom. While there are some major differences, the bikes are overall too similar to justify trading for the nc700 just because. Although, once the new bike bug bites, it's hard to get over that feeling. I'd be interested to see just how long you're able to hold out before deciding that it's time to move on.

Thanks for the great feedback.

All the Honda's I've owned before I've been impressed with; and the NC700x seems like sort of a 'pinnacle' expression of what Honda is all about-- reliability, practicality, efficiency, ease of use, and performance!

I'm thinking since I've customized the Suzuki DL650 to my particular preferences, and have become familiar with its size, power, and handling, I'm going to get as much use out of it as I can before 'moving on'.

I do see an NC700x in my future, but maybe just not quite yet. It's hard since I want one NOW, but I don't think I can justify owning two motorcycles! =(

Seems the grass is always greener on the other side!

K
It's not like the NC700X is that different from the Wee so I'm in agreement. If you were looking at a second bike for another role or type of riding it would have to be different to fill the role. I like having more than one bike just like I have different hammers or wrenches better suited to the job at hand.

Interesting to read so many comments that the wee strom and the NC are very similar. Because I couldn't disagree more. I had an 07' wee and it rode nothing like my NC. I had Elka suspension and Sonic front springs, fork brace and thousands of $ in other creature comforts and after 10hrs in the saddle, I was ready to get off the bike, pronto. I just did three full days of riding the NC all over North Carolina and N. GA and never once thought, ^%&#! I can't wait to get off the bike! The 07' wee strom is like riding an old farm truck with rusted out floor boards and hot on your feet. Balls reliable, but a farm truck. The NC is smooth as silk. Super responsive, think it and it goes. I swapped my buddy for a few miles down the BRP this weekend, I hopped on his BMW RT and he on my NC. He was floored how smooth the NC was, "Holy crap this thing has ZERO vibration!"

The two bikes don't compare IMHO. Now, the 2012+ wee strom... thats a different story. I would have gotten a 12'+ strom if they were less spendy.

Unlike some that replied, I've spent a significant amount of time with both. I have an 08 DL650, my brother has a 2012 NC700X. We've been on several trips together, and have swapped bikes many times during. NC is a superior urban commuter and grocery getter. Strom is a superior (more comfortable) tourer. But BARELY in both cases. "Off-road" is a misnomer, because neither is a dual sport, anymore than a Ford Explorer is a true 4x4. But gravel and dirt roads, the difference between the two bikes is negligible with equivalent tires.
There should be a third bike in this comparison, and that's the Versys. I've ridden it also. Frankly, if I could go back and do it again, I'd probably get one of those. Way more punchy, spirited, fun motor.
But now that it's 2016, I of course daydream about the Africa Twin [emoji3].
Pick one. Ride it. They're all good. You can't go wrong.
2df3031b3f65bab0ddfa911fb9c87104.jpg
8bf5d78c1cfe0f2bbef2473356bced73.jpg
4fe7989d5eec9223adc3a8e7ffe5aa00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back