• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700/Suzuki DL650 comparison

klimber

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, new to the forum. I'm a rider of 15+ years, and have had a 2005 Suzuki DL650 "V-Strom" for a few years now. Quite happy with it; the versatility, the v-twin power dynamics, the riding position and wind protection; its "extraordinary mediocrity" gives it a sort of charm that is hard to find in other bikes, which tend to be "spec'd" out more and more, pushing everything to the extremes, instead of being happy with something that works.

The NC700 definitely caught my attention when it first came out, but I've been happy with the DL, and haven't been able to justify owning two motorcycles. I like being able to dart off on un-paved side roads when touring, to find hikes or camping. I like having the capability to "haul" big loads, as well as have a passenger, and the DL seems to just take it all like a pack-mule and push along, even though the handling can change quite dramatically when the loads get heavy.

The NC700 attracted me because of the more street oriented tires, street handling capabilities, and fuel mileage. A practical, smart, fun, well-engineered motorcycle that seems to fit the bill. The only drawbacks I can possibly see are slightly less passenger comfort, less wind-protection and "tour-ability", and less ability off pavement. But other than that I imagine it'd be an excellent motorcycle for my type of riding.

So I'm writing the list to see if anyone on the forum:

a) has tried/owned both motorcycles and can report any of the critical differences you noticed

b) can provide any insight (besides what a 'v-strom vs nc700x' google or youtube search can)

The guys at "Stromtroopers" give opinions mostly in favor of the DL (I wonder why), but a few of them have tried both and like the NC700x .

The physical size difference is what I think will be a larger deciding factor for me. I, for whatever reason, have gotten used to and now enjoy the bulky fairing and tall frame of the DL650, "piloting" around this large mass of a machine. The NC700x's smaller frame seems like it's a blast to flick around, and I'm very interested in trying out the 'diesel-like' motor characteristics, while getting 60+ mpg.

Any insight appreciated!

Last edited:
Speaking of stock vs stock. If your going to have both I would use the DL650 for off road and NC700X for street. If your only going to have one I would go with NC700X. I looked at both for a long time before getting the NC700X. The NC700X will do everything you are looking for, slightly better for less money is more reliable and cheaper to maintain. The DL650 does better in more aggressive off roading being closer to a heavy dirt bike.
With the list you have it sounds like your off roading is gravel or hard packed dirt. If so the NC700X does just fine for that. As far as touring I commute 120+ miles a day 4 or 5 days a week on my NC700X, stock seat and suspension I can easily go 250 to 300 miles, I've gone over 600 when I was trying to get somewhere and I was carrying over 650 lbs including myself

One point not mentioned is the low CG of the NC700X; especially when compared to the DL650. It makes the bike feel at least 50 pounds lighter than it is; conversely the DL will have more power in most situations - if that's important to you.

If you like to rev the engine to 8,000 rpm or more I think you will find the NCX gutless and boring. Up to 6500 rpm the two bikes are remarkably similar in power delivery. The catch is that 6500 is all there is on the Honda but the wee keeps going until 9000 with 18 or so more hp. There's no getting around that - in the class everything but the F650 BMW wastes the Honda in a drag race but it has other qualities that appeal. I found the DL slow steering and top heavy compared to the NCX, spend $1000 in suspension and there's not much that can run away from a NC on a really twisty back road. It's like riding a pony in a world of horses, nimble and light. Despite being nimble in the curves it's remarkably stable at 75-85 mph and with the right windshield very comfortable for long rides. I've only owned one Suzuki but lots of Hondas in 45 years. A cheap Honda doesn't look or feel cheap even with miles on....not so much with other brands. And the frunk will spoil you for any tank bag ever again.

It's hard to imagine not having the frunk after a year if using it almost daily

[...it's hard to imagine not having the frunk after a year if using it almost daily]

Is there life without a frunk?

I was looking at getting a DL650 to replace my BMW, so the Wee will get no insult or injury from myself.

But when it was released, I jumped at the chance the instant I could, to get the NCX as soon as I read it's specs and raison d'être. It was if the thing was made with nearly all of my wish list boxes checked.

I *couldn't* get a Wee now, because I'd miss too many features unique to the NCX, and none of the "benefits" of the DL would sway me at all.

I have rode my buddy's DL650 and my NC700X back to back a few times and find them to be pretty similar. The main differences are vstrom is faster and has a little more wind protection. The NC on the other hand feels much lighter and flick-able (mainly due to its low center of gravity) it just feels more natural, and of course better MPG, also the "Frunk" is unbelievably useful.

If you like to rev the engine to 8,000 rpm or more I think you will find the NCX gutless and boring. Up to 6500 rpm the two bikes are remarkably similar in power delivery. The catch is that 6500 is all there is on the Honda but the wee keeps going until 9000 with 18 or so more hp. There's no getting around that - in the class everything but the F650 BMW wastes the Honda in a drag race but it has other qualities that appeal. I found the DL slow steering and top heavy compared to the NCX, spend $1000 in suspension and there's not much that can run away from a NC on a really twisty back road. It's like riding a pony in a world of horses, nimble and light. Despite being nimble in the curves it's remarkably stable at 75-85 mph and with the right windshield very comfortable for long rides. I've only owned one Suzuki but lots of Hondas in 45 years. A cheap Honda doesn't look or feel cheap even with miles on....not so much with other brands. And the frunk will spoil you for any tank bag ever again.

Well said.

I have owned and traveled extensively on an 07 650DL. It was totally reliable and never let me down. It had a Russel seat, great windshield, center stand, Pelican case luggage. It was very top heavy, and would blow around on the highway, but man what a smooth running and reliable pack mule for long distance. I sold it a couple of months ago to a guy headed for S. America. Never took it off road except for the occasional fire road. I ran 705's on both ends which are great all around tires. It was my road bike( I had a DR 650 for the woods and knarly off road).

Then at a rally in NC I met a guy with an auto NC700dc. He loved it I was really intrigued. Then I was out in the mountains in N. Georgia with a buddy on a Husky 650 and me on my DR650. It was pouring rain and the fire roads were just awful. This guy chugs up, all alone on an NC auto with TKC80's. We were shocked. He joined us and stayed with us all day on every road including creek crossings. I was impressed. Made the decision to find an NC700 auto which I did, a 2013 auto left over at a dealer in FL for a ridiculous price OTD. I have changed the seat, Sargent, and added Madstam windshield, and recently added front fork Race Tech Emulators (which is really easy by the way). It is now a Long Haul Trucker. In my opinion, like previously stated, the auto shifting NC in sport mode would stay right with the Strom up to about 80. It has unreal torque with the long stroke engine, never misses a shift, and pulls like a Diesel up hills here in the Smokies. It handles waaaaay better than the Strom (with its low center of gravity) in the twisties. I have never looked back. I love this bike. The engine sounds just like the Strom by the way. It is my new long distance travel companion. It too will get Shinko 705's. To each his own but I am glad I made the switch after 9 years with the Strom.

I'm going to echo what some of the others said here. Lower center of gravity on the NC so it felt lighter and more flickable. The DL engine was more what I was used to in that you rev it more. The NC is 'diesel-like' as others have said. Gas mileage is awesome on the NC. I got 70 mpg on my last tankful. I'm sure the frunk is useful but I haven't seen the inside of mine in months as I use a tank bag and a trunk! I have the Honda tall shield and a Wunderlich extender so my wind protection is good. Had mine for two years and I think it was still a good decision to pick this model.

I had a UJM, Nighthawk 750 which I loved and a DR650, which I also loved. I sold them both for the NCDCT. At first, I wondered if I had done the right thing. I've come to love the NC and I'm happy with it. I've done some fire roads , but nothing muddy or rutty. I'm taking a 7000 mile road trip to Colorado in June. When I get back, I might switch the PR4's for some shinkos and head up to the smoky's for a little more dirt work.

FWIW I took my NC700X on the unpaved 26 mile road past Tortilla Flats, AZ and was completely comfortable. Admittedly that is not very challenging.

The next day we rode the paved road up Mt. Lemmon by Tucson at a very "spirited pace", had lunch at Summerhaven. Then we rode the unpaved road down the backside of Mt. Lemmon. Again, not the worst stuff but the NC acquitted itself very well for these off-road forays. Day one was with a buddy on the Triumph 800cc Enduro and day two was with a buddy on a Suzuki DRZ 400 that he put a 21 inch wheel on the front of. That big front wheel was the only thing I was jealous of the two days. Something bigger on the front would have been nice bombing downhill through some ruts and loose stuff. The linked brakes were a challenge going downhill in the dirt as well. Sometimes I had to blip the throttle to bring the rear around in a tight downhill corner when I would have preferred to brake-skid it around.

I guess my point is that the stock NC700x isn't the best off-roading bike but is more than enough for occasional off-reading. I wanted a KLR650 when I went looking for a bike and am extremely happy I ended up with the NC. YMMV but I can believe how much fun I had while getting around 70 MPG!

Joe

The physical size difference is what I think will be a larger deciding factor for me. I, for whatever reason, have gotten used to and now enjoy the bulky fairing and tall frame of the DL650, "piloting" around this large mass of a machine. The NC700x's smaller frame seems like it's a blast to flick around, and I'm very interested in trying out the 'diesel-like' motor characteristics, while getting 60+ mpg.

Any insight appreciated!

I pretty much agree with the other post from the members on the forum. I love the low cetner of gravity, trunk and the fuel mileage the NCX can achieve. More so is the the valve adjustment vs the DL650. The NC700's valve service is a piece of cake.
It's been a while since I've sit on the Wee but for two up riding, I would take the DL650 over the NCX. At least for me. When I first got the NC, I knew that l would be needing lower pegs and a taller seat. I have a 34" inseam with knees that have seen better days. After the seat and pegs, I enjoy this bike a lot more, but sometimes still sit on the rear seat while riding. Kind of hard to do that with a pillion.
I have taken my 13 y.o. son on a couple of short 200 mile rides without too much trouble though. He is around 5'5" tall.
With that said, if I were doing a lot of two up, I would get something with more room.
Good luck.

Not long after I bought my 2012 NC700X I took a long ride up into the WV mountains from my home in FL The day I started home I left Seneca Rocks, WV for the night's stop at Willville MC Camp just off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Meadows of Dan, VA. I can't recall the exact distance I had on the tank when I filled up right outside of Willville but it was around 100 miles with the last gas stop in Buchanan, VA. The last 90 miles or so was on the Blue Ridge Parkway. A lovely riding day, about 250 miles of WV 28, 33, US220, US250, VA39, VA42, VA 43, Blue Ridge Pkwy. As I pulled into the camp and got off my NC700X a fellow came over and began asking me questions about the bike which he had only heard about and rarely seen, primarily Qs about the fuel consumption and was it as good as Honda was advertising. It seemed that he really didn't believe it capable of 60+ mpg in real world riding. He crowed, "I have a Suzuki 650 Weestrom and I get 50's all the time and today I got 62 mpg on the BRP coming down from Roanoke". Back then I did not use Fuelly but rather calculated mpg on gas receipts and saved the receipts for recording later. I reached into the frunk and pulled out the last two gas fill up receipts representing that day's ride from Seneca Rocks. I had ridden the same part of the BRP as he that day on that very receipt. I asked him what kind of pace he rode on the BRP and he replied 35 to 55 mph. I said "I rode the BRP for 90 miles like you today, 35 to 55 mph, and this bike returned 77 mpg. The tank before on faster roads in WV it got 73."

If it has two wheels and a motor I love it. Even scooters can be ridden in the dirt. All brands are very reliable compared to just 20 years ago. It all comes down to which unit fits you and the type of riding you do. But above all just RIDE.

I have a 2014 DCT model and even with the three recalls/product updates the bike has had I would buy another one if I had to. I like the look of the new Africa Twin DCT but the idea of tubed tires turns me off. I sat on a Wee Strom a while back and found it to be very top heavy, never did take it for a test ride. I had a lot of trouble lifting it off the side stand, maybe because of the air-cast I had on my left leg from the knee down at the time. Check out this thread on ADV Rider if you want to see how rugged this bike can be: CannonTrek.CO - Bashing Big Bikes in the Backcountry of Colorado | Adventure Rider. One of the bikes on the ride was a standard transmission NC700X. I sometimes wish there was a little more power for passing the slow-poke tourists Vermont can be plagued with during the riding season but I've learned to adapt. The bike is plenty fast for me and rock solid at high speeds on the Interstates.

Back