• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC 700x owners in USA, how do you like it?

Love mine. On year 3. Over 8k miles.
Add ons...
Tall windscreen
Mirror Extenders
Sound Blaster Air Horn
Vario Adjustable Footpegs
Passenger Backrest
12v Frunk Socket
Modulating Tail / Brake Light
Factory Side Bags
Rear Hugger

How do I really like it?

Had my 2013 NC 700X standard for about a year and two months so far, got 4,500 miles. Live up north, so riding season isn't very long. I like that I get 60 mpg riding it to the redline pretty much all the time. It is comfortable to ride for long periods of time (6'2 200lb.). Got the center stand immediately, mad that it wasn't standard on the bike. The bike has good torque, but I'm not loving the 6,500 redline. The last bike I had was a Ninja and it went to like 12,500 I think. I thought that the tank storage was kind of a novelty at first, but now I can't imagine not having it. It's nice to not tote around a tank bag and backpack everywhere I go. The only real downfall I have found so far is lack of true horsepower. I wish it had enough power to break through 100mph Easily and wheelie (not that I'm really into that).

I have had my new 2015 DCT version (Skookum) for almost 4 months. 4,000 miles - almost all of it is commuting at 40-60 mph. Averaging over 72 mpg! Very rough math says I have saved around $700 in fuel (in 4 months) since I stopped driving my Dodge truck to work and back. Love the bike and would do it all over again.

I have farkled her up a little bit.....
Honda Tall Screen (stock screen seemed fine up to 55mph but too much buffeting above that)
Honda side and rear bags (with backrest/cushion on rear trunk) - with all that storage and room for two, the bike is almost a match for my Dodge diesel pickup ;-)
Radiator screen
Givi engine guards
frunk knob/key
Ohmic smart brake light
Emergency rear seat release
Brushguards/ Stormshields
Only a few more items on my wish list - handlebar risers, front fender extender, centerstand, and voltmeter

This bike really is based on 'New Concepts' and it works perfectly for a guy with my needs (relatively economical / commuter / high mileage / low CG and easy handling/ plenty of power / good (ABS) brakes / on-board storage / enough room and power for a little bit of two-up)
>Thom

I have had my new 2015 DCT version (Skookum) for almost 4 months. 4,000 miles - almost all of it is commuting at 40-60 mph. Averaging over 72 mpg! Very rough math says I have saved around $700 in fuel (in 4 months) since I stopped driving my Dodge truck to work and back. Love the bike and would do it all over again.

I have farkled her up a little bit.....
Honda Tall Screen (stock screen seemed fine up to 55mph but too much buffeting above that)

Add one of the aftermarket wind deflector add-ons to that Honda Tall screen and you will get rid of the buffeting. I have the Wunderlich and it has solved the buffeting problem. there are 2 or 3 other brands that should work just as well and might be a bit cheaper.

After putting almost twenty-eight thousand miles on my '14 NC automatic I have the following thoughts. It's a little short on power, a little short on fuel range, a little short on suspension, and it really, really needs cruise-control. My true average fuel mileage is in the 52 - 55 mpg range. All of the previous are the resultant of the additions necessary to tour on the NC and the diminished fuel mileage is the resultant of added weight and drag. It's just a fact of motorcycling life that if you add accessories there is a cost in aerodynamics and total weight. I still enjoy the NC immensely, but I'm in the market for another bike; one that has cruise-control. The NC will remain in my stable as it's the only one with automatic transmission, but it probably won't be my main ride. I'll keep it for running in to town to the grocery store and other odd errands.

4 days in and absolutely love my bike. Day 1 included a nice little ride through the mountains. I've had two days commuting to work, about 30 miles each way on the freeway in traffic. And even did a bit of gravel/dirt road riding last night. I'm so glad my wife talked me into this bike.

Every ride on the NC includes moments where the simple joy of motorcycling overwhelms the senses.

Kimball

I have owned my 2013 NC700X for 2 years, 2 months. 23,000+ miles on her now. She is faster off the line than my C50 Boulevard cruiser, tops out the same as my C50, has better tank range than the C50, easier to do maintenance than the C50 (except the dang air filter, arghh), longer mileage between oil changes than the C50. The NC700x is not a dirt bike, it is not a crotch rocket, it is not a cruiser; however, it is a good ole work horse. If you want to do mainly dirt-buy a dirt bike, if you want speed or wheelies-buy a crotch rocket. I traded in my dual-sport (2009 bmw g650gs) for this bike and have had 0 regrets; nc700x better overall bike than the g650gs for $2000 less.

I have only had my NC for a little over a month now. The seat hurts after a couple hours, the stock tires are suspect, but other than that I am really enjoying the bike. The frunk is fantastic!! Did I mention the seat hurts my old but.:cool:

hey guys i am planning to buy nc700x in new jersey. But i cant see a lot on craiglist. what is the issue with this bike? people dont sell or no body has this bike a lot?
so my fear is if i buy this bike after a while if i wanna sell it. what if i cant sell it?
thanks

hey guys i am planning to buy nc700x in new jersey. But i cant see a lot on craiglist. what is the issue with this bike? people dont sell or no body has this bike a lot?
so my fear is if i buy this bike after a while if i wanna sell it. what if i cant sell it?
thanks

The issue is that almost all people who buy this bike buy it because its what they really want in a bike and keep them till the wheels fall off.
I purchased mine because I didn't want a crotch-rocket (as I'm not trying to kill myself) and I'm not the cruiser type.
I live in the city so an adventure bike wouldn't have fit the bill at all. And I'm too young for the cafe racer crowd.
I wanted something I could commute to work on, yet look bad-*** when I roll up, without breaking the bank.
If you're looking for something to buy and get a good resale value, buy a Harley, just set aside some scratch for all the maintenance til you get rid of it.
If you're looking for something fun, that can grow with you, that won't need much attention, and gets crazy gas mileage and has a frunk, buy an NC700.

thanks

The issue with the bike is not with the bike, it's with the US motorcycling population. The NC goes against the grain in many ways. It's not a cruiser, sport bike, or even a true adventure bike, but it can almost become whatever you want it to be. Those that fully understand and desire it will keep them a fairly long while. Those that thought they wanted it, but realized they didn't, will dump them early. I think it's close to 50-50 each way on that, but due to the limited number bought in the first place, the used market does not seem to be flooded.

I've seen a surprising number of members here that had a wonderful honeymoon then divorced early. Many went on to the Super Tenere, Africa Twin, Yamaha FZ series, etc. - all more powerful machines. Then there's the faithful that will stay hitched forever.

Reasons for letting her go often center around the bike having less power than what the owner desires. Other times it's rider fitment issues. Sometimes it's just lust for the next Big Thing. Never is it reliability issues.

If you buy the bike used for a fair price, you'll have no real trouble getting your money back if it's not your thing. If you buy new and don't keep it long, your wallet will take a hit.

My observation of the forum's long term member demographics is that we are older folks that are returning from a long hiatus, or continuous riders who've run through many bikes and now want something dependable and mild mannered.

Last edited:
I just checked on search tempest (a craigslist aggregator) There’s about as many NC700x's for sale as V-stroms or Versys' of similar vintage in your region (the NC was introduced in 2012). Is that style popular in your area?
Honda has a good reputation, & my feeling is your chance of getting hosed on reselling (a bike you bought used) is about the same or lower than any other Japanese bike.

Last edited:
My observation of the forum's long term member demographics is that we are older folks that are returning from a long hiatus, or continuous riders who've run through many bikes and now want something dependable and mild mannered.

My situation exactly... Nice call.

Back