• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My first tour on new (to me) NC

What was your fuel mileage loaded up? Avg speeds?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm not quite sure what was the average speed, but we rode both days on county roads with speed limit of 55 mph and we were mostly at the speed limit. We didn't rush, tried to enjoy the beautiful Loess Hills and Missouri valley. There was 2-3 shot rides on highways (no interstates though), usually up to 65 mph.
Fuel - I'm not 100% sure because I didn't start calculating on the beginning, marking numbers etc. According to the gas receipts, the route and my memory: we did 426.7 miles, I left home with full gas, I spent 5 gal + 2 bars on fuel gauge left (guessing 1.5 gal.) ~ 6.5 gal, so brings about 65 mpg - if my calculations are right. If it's correct I find it amazing! :D

I am not sure I understand the complaint of the bigger bike riders. After a couple of hours of riding it is nice to stop and take a break, get some pictures, get something to drink, stretch and give the "lower rear posterior" a break. So if you guys pulled over every 150 miles or so to grab some gas and get a break that is pretty reasonable. And clearly at that mpg figure you could easily stretch it out to 180-200 miles on the tank with no issues.

Also you go out to fuelly.com and lookup one of those bikes you were riding with. Lets say they average 42 mpg, and lets just throw a round number like a 6 gallon tank. So in theory that bike at 42 mpg and 6 gallons can go 252 miles until dry. He will also have a reserve and that likely will be right around .8 gallons, so effectively they have 5.2 gallons before the dash starts doing funny things on their bike telling them to get gas. So 5.2 gallons at 42 mpg you get about 218 miles before they start getting yelled at to get gas. So reality is that your making that rider stop about 20-40 miles sooner than they would normally be told they needed to stop. So we are not talking a huge difference in capability. If a rider has an iron butt and can ride a full tank of gas out without stopping then that is great, but they should understand that many people will want to stop and take a break regardless of how much IRON is in that butt... LOL

Of course these are just hypothetical numbers, and the numbers those riders were getting could have been better or worse. But the point being I seriously doubt you were "crimping their style" as much as they were letting on that you were... :)

I am not sure I understand the complaint of the bigger bike riders. After a couple of hours of riding it is nice to stop and take a break, get some pictures, get something to drink, stretch and give the "lower rear posterior" a break. So if you guys pulled over every 150 miles or so to grab some gas and get a break that is pretty reasonable. And clearly at that mpg figure you could easily stretch it out to 180-200 miles on the tank with no issues.
Totally the same here. Agree 100%!

Also you go out to fuelly.com and lookup one of those bikes you were riding with. Lets say they average 42 mpg, and lets just throw a round number like a 6 gallon tank. So in theory that bike at 42 mpg and 6 gallons can go 252 miles until dry. He will also have a reserve and that likely will be right around .8 gallons, so effectively they have 5.2 gallons before the dash starts doing funny things on their bike telling them to get gas. So 5.2 gallons at 42 mpg you get about 218 miles before they start getting yelled at to get gas. So reality is that your making that rider stop about 20-40 miles sooner than they would normally be told they needed to stop. So we are not talking a huge difference in capability. If a rider has an iron butt and can ride a full tank of gas out without stopping then that is great, but they should understand that many people will want to stop and take a break regardless of how much IRON is in that butt... LOL

Of course these are just hypothetical numbers, and the numbers those riders were getting could have been better or worse. But the point being I seriously doubt you were "crimping their style" as much as they were letting on that you were... :)

I was was thinking in terms of my old Honda ST1100. It easily had a 300 mile range. While I have done 300 miles on a tank on my NC700X, it can't be done on a "normal" ride.

Last edited:
The other part of this that is kind of funny is the psychology... There is a difference between "I have to stop", and "I want to stop". I had an old Intruder cruiser with the gas tank under the seat that was very limited in capacity given it's interest in consuming that gas. So every 100-120 miles it would start telling me I needed to get gas, and then I had better stop by the time I got to 150 or I was going to be pushing it. I liked the bike, but the nonstop worrying about gas, where is the next gas station if I drive past this one coming up and I have 90 miles on this tank can I make it to the next gas station? I can't tell you how many times that has played into the ride and I spent more time trying to figure out gas stops than I did enjoying the ride.

So I had to let that bike go to someone who could appreciate it more. But it drove me nuts. And if you are out in a location like I am in Colorado presently where if you go past that gas station the next one might not be for another 50 miles, and then the question is will that gas station be open? Some of these rural communities they roll up the sidewalks at sundown so you do start to think about fuel in a different way. That is where the bike with the large fuel capacity really would be nice. You just aren't worried about gas too much, you are mostly just thinking about the ride and when you want to take a break.

So I really do get it with the bigger bike fuel capacity. That is one of the shortcomings of the NC for sure that it would be nice if it could hold another gallon so fuel really isn't something you are super concerned about. It was one of the things I was and am still a little concerned about if I venture off into some of the more rural areas of the state on rides. I will find out soon enough how much fuel range plays into things in the next few weeks. The hard part is you don't get to just put a gas station where you need it! LOL :D

There are plenty of cycles out there with shorter range than the NC, especially when you look at dual sports with miserly 2-gallon tanks (easier to market a lighter weight and you get to use a tank from a dirt racing model I suppose). Not enough for anyone doing serious days.

I found Rotopax an easy pill to swallow. It seems like it costs a lot but it's so much better than conventional fuel cans, strong and doesn't swell or leak. Can be attached or carried inside a top case or whatever. I swap mine between two machines, sweet. I don't mind stopping to refuel after well over 200 miles (based on my worst Fuelly days). And I love the secure feeling it gives me to not be sweating every fuel stop.

There are plenty of cycles out there with shorter range than the NC, especially when you look at dual sports with miserly 2-gallon tanks (easier to market a lighter weight and you get to use a tank from a dirt racing model I suppose). Not enough for anyone doing serious days.

I found Rotopax an easy pill to swallow. It seems like it costs a lot but it's so much better than conventional fuel cans, strong and doesn't swell or leak. Can be attached or carried inside a top case or whatever. I swap mine between two machines, sweet. I don't mind stopping to refuel after well over 200 miles (based on my worst Fuelly days). And I love the secure feeling it gives me to not be sweating every fuel stop.

Carrying extra fuel becomes a rule for sure. I started carrying MSR or equivalent fuel canisters with me after a few too many close calls due to fuel. It is mostly peace of mind I guess because I don't recall a time I have actually used the fuel on my cans, but I have come pretty darn close a few too many times. It is good to know the extra fuel is there in case there is a mixup and that gas stop you were expecting isn't there anymore, or is closed etc.

I will look at the Rotopax because the MSR bottles can be a hassle to fill and refill due to the size of the opening which adds some additional logistics to a refuel situation.

Over 50 here. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks, I most defiantly will. The numbers don't matter, it's your health and ability that count I've seen enough and known enough people to be grateful for what I have and mostly my family and my health.

The other part of this that is kind of funny is the psychology... There is a difference between "I have to stop", and "I want to stop". I had an old Intruder cruiser with the gas tank under the seat that was very limited in capacity given it's interest in consuming that gas. So every 100-120 miles it would start telling me I needed to get gas, and then I had better stop by the time I got to 150 or I was going to be pushing it. I liked the bike, but the nonstop worrying about gas, where is the next gas station if I drive past this one coming up and I have 90 miles on this tank can I make it to the next gas station? I can't tell you how many times that has played into the ride and I spent more time trying to figure out gas stops than I did enjoying the ride...
I had the similar situation with my S40 Boulvard, with 2.5 gal gas tank. But, with 1 gal canister - problem is solved (I wasn't riding it more than 100 miles away from home anyway).
So, the same thing I plan to do on my California trip: 1/2 or 1 gal canister - just in case. And, probably I'm not gonna use it.

Back