• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My first tour on new (to me) NC

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday, after work 4 of us went for a "little" ride, getting ready for the BIG ride. We pack everything we're gonna need for 2 weeks, everything we plan to bring with - and left home. Today, later afternoon we came home. 425 miles. It supposed to be a bit longer (time and miles), but a little accident (2 BMW "kissed" each other - no troubles except broken one side case), changed the mood of the trip so we kinda shortened the route.

Anyway, my "little red" was amazing on it's first ride. The only issue I had was the windshield. I know the original windshield SUCKS, so I added a piece of Hyundai's bumper to the top of the Puig windshield (I got it with the bike too, and it sucks just a bit less). Helped me a lot, otherwise I wouldn't be able to ride with buddies.

DSCN3724.jpg

DSCN3725.jpg

DSCN3730.jpg

DSCN3734.jpg

DSCN3738.jpg

DSCN3747.jpg

What would be really helpful that I had on the trip were highway pegs and headlight modulator and brake light modulator. Suggestions?

One more thing I forgot in my first post: small tank was driving nuts my co-riders. They always had to make a stop because I hit the reserve. But I was happy - it gave me a good reason to make a stop, stretch my legs, drink water... :D

Yesterday, after work 4 of us went for a "little" ride, getting ready for the BIG ride. We pack everything we're gonna need for 2 weeks, everything we plan to bring with - and left home.

Anyway, my "little red" was amazing on it's first ride.
Great planning gets a great trip!

Too many riders strap the kitchen sink to their bike the nite before their 'big trip' and leave the next morning. Taking some test rides prior with the bike loaded brings a rider knowledge and experience of what the bike will feel like loaded (especially tipping over during a stop).

Good luck with your trip, and if I were you, I'd volunteer to ride tail and let the 'kissers' ride up front.

Ray

Last edited:
Google Maps
My route for next Saturday, the stops that are marked are just to keep the GPS going the way I wanted not necessarily places I'm stopping. Staying in Redding Saturday night and heading back at noon on Sunday. Any recommended stops (or a better route) going that way. Just so others are aware many places on 1 are shut down do to mud slides besides I'm working Monday and coast riding is awesome but slow

Got time for Arcata, Eureka, Ferndale? Good stuff to see if there's time. There's also a great short bit from Ferndale to the land over the ocean too, some of it was easy unpaved last time I was there. Also like older Highway 1 a lot better than 101 if there's time. Really hard to go wrong either way.

Got time for Arcata, Eureka, Ferndale? Good stuff to see if there's time. There's also a great short bit from Ferndale to the land over the ocean too, some of it was easy unpaved last time I was there. Also like older Highway 1 a lot better than 101 if there's time. Really hard to go wrong either way.
A friend is riding with me and he's riding this
He's brave or dumb we will find out, it's going to be around 800 miles
34917d5cd9bf79ce50694e1bd8cd258a.jpg

I was told by a friend that lives in Redding that the 299 west of 3 is shut down or under construction or something? Ferndale looks good, any recommendations to see do or eat?

Last edited:
Don't recall. I remember buying a couple pounds of coffee beans from a great roaster there though... Trust the Force, Luke ; }

One more thing I forgot in my first post: small tank was driving nuts my co-riders. They always had to make a stop because I hit the reserve. But I was happy - it gave me a good reason to make a stop, stretch my legs, drink water... :D
Yes, bikes with 6 to 7.5 gallons can stretch out distance but don't forget the reserve comes on around 2.7 gallons of fuel burned so there is close to 1 gallon remaining which could be 50 to 75 miles longer depending.

Yes, bikes with 6 to 7.5 gallons can stretch out distance but don't forget the reserve comes on around 2.7 gallons of fuel burned so there is close to 1 gallon remaining which could be 50 to 75 miles longer depending.

Yes, and the big bikes tend to go fast because they do so easily. The higher speeds put a good dent in the NC's mileage. Although it's still respectable mileage, and better than what they're getting, you have half the fuel capacity as the big dogs.

I'm ready to get off for a couple minutes after 200+ miles anyway...

A friend is riding with me and he's riding this
He's brave or dumb we will find out, it's going to be around 800 miles
34917d5cd9bf79ce50694e1bd8cd258a.jpg

Now THAT would require an iron butt, or a young one with ample padding.

Back