• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Muffler baffle in vs. out

ricksride

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never seen this asked before.
Will a muffler last longer or not last as long with the baffle in or out?
Don't know if I said that right.

With the baffle in, will the muffler (sound), increase faster than if it were left out or the other way around?
Or
No difference?

I can't say I've ever seen that question before either.

I guess one might argue that the moisture produced by the combustion process could conceivably hang around more in any nooks and crannies that a baffle introduces to the muffler, maybe helping to speed up the dreaded red menace.

Other than that stab in the dark, ya got me lol

I confess I have no idea what: "...muffler (sound) increase faster..." means. I'm stumped on that one.

I confess I have no idea what: "...muffler (sound) increase faster..." means. I'm stumped on that one.
OK, let's try it this way... We all know that mufflers wear out and the sound will increase over time, even stock mufflers.
So, will the sound increase, (aka wearing out), faster with the baffle in or out?
Muffler with baffle vs muffler w/o baffle?

Did that help or did I make it worse? :confused:

[... We all know that mufflers wear out and the sound will increase over time, even stock mufflers...]

That's a very old fashioned idea. My old '96 Accord now driven by my son still has the original muffler as does my present 2006 Accord. I've had three Honda street bikes and put over 102k miles on one of them. All of them had the original muffler - fully functional and quiet - the day I sold them.

Thirty years ago mufflers wore out regularly or died of internal rust but not so any more.

OK, let's try it this way... We all know that mufflers wear out and the sound will increase over time, even stock mufflers.
So, will the sound increase, (aka wearing out), faster with the baffle in or out?
Muffler with baffle vs muffler w/o baffle?

Did that help or did I make it worse? :confused:

Ah! I get it now, sorry!

Hmmm. Y'know, I wouldn't have considered that. If a baffle increases back pressure, would that mean that there are more violent fluctuations of sound waves bouncing around to deteriorate sound absorbing/deadening materials? Or would having a straight through, with virtually no back pressure cavity, increase the venturi vortex effect, and help to "pull" out the material?

Things that make you go hmmm.

I have a carbon fibre mufflered Giannelli full system on my CBR125R, with baffle installed, and it's brutally louder now, after several years worth of use. I would bet money all the packing material has long since vapourized. *BRAAAAP* :eek: :rolleyes:

Aftermarket mufflers usually have a removable baffle that is wound with something that looks like fiberglass and it does blow out with time.

Honda mufflers use metal chambers to baffle the sound so they don't wear out. It's also one reason they are much heavier than the aftermarket stuff.

Last edited:
Can you take the baffle out of the stock muffler? :confused:

Not easily. You would have to cut the muffler on the pipe end, cut out the baffle and then re-weld the can. Not really worth the effort. Some riders here though have run a long drill bit down from the exhaust end and drilled a hole in the baffle. Others have drilled out the exhaust end in-between the outer can skin and the inner liner.

The stock NC muffler is stainless, so it shouldn't have much corrosion issues long term. Also the types of mufflers that "degrade" are mostly using a batting material like fiberglass or steel wool. The batting degrades over time. The Honda stock mufflers are a baffled design, which is how most automotive mufflers are designed. This design doesn't inherently degrade over time, unless the baffle plates and chambers get broken somehow.

Aftermarket mufflers usually have a removable baffle that is wound with something that looks like fiberglass and it does blow out with time.

Honda mufflers use metal chambers to baffle the sound so they don't wear out. It's also one reason they are much heavier than the aftermarket stuff.

The baffle in my Giannelli is exactly the same as the one in my DanMoto- a simple capped end tube that obstructs the inside diameter, forcing the exhaust flow through smaller holes drilled into the baffle tube. All metal, no other material. The fibreglass or mineral wool, or whatever deadening/attenuating material it is they use, is in between the outer skin of the muffler canister, and the inner perforated hollow core.

Most aftermarket cans are variations of the tried & true "glass-pack" mufflers used in the automotive area for over 50 years. The fiberglass batting will blow out at varying rates depending on the design and application leading to increased loudness over time and it needs to be repacked to restore original state. The baffles supplied 'might' extend the life of the batting by varying the internal flow but again it depends on the design and application.
My Leo Vince Carbon had been run on my NC without the baffle since I installed it because I thought it was too quiet with it in. But in less than a couple thousand miles the volume has increased substantially to the point that I put the baffle in and now it sounds "right" again! I'm hoping it might extend the life of the remaining 'glass but it might not!
The stock muffler likely doesn't use 'glass and so should last forever barring corrosion or internal carbon-type build up!

Last edited:
Back