• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Much ado about a screw

Jaraxle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everybody
I have recently purchased a used 2015 NC700XDCT. I live in ID but ordered it from a dealership in Maryland and had it shipped. I saw the bike via pictures only. The bike was delivered last week and I noticed a small rust area and wanted to ask you guys about it. From looking at it, and parts sites it looks like its the screw to hold the chain slider. Its sitting in a small depression. Now the bike only has about 2400 miles on it so I am guessiing water must have gotten into that depression and slowly rusted the screw and washer. I am trying to decide if I should pour some vinegar on it while its still installed or remove it and clean or just replace it. It looks like I can remove it and replace it without hurting anything but wanted to ask and make sure it wont since I have not had any experience working on this bike. I want to make sure that its not going to effect anything. Also how do you guys keep this area dry? Since its like a depression I can see how it will collect and hold water.
Here is where I identified the part.
2015 Honda NC700X Parts - Best OEM Parts Diagram for 2015 NC700X Motorcycles

Attachments

• 20180303_075546_1520091552937_resized.jpg
    20180303_075546_1520091552937_resized.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 20180303_075611_1520091555492_resized.jpg
    20180303_075611_1520091555492_resized.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 20180303_075632_1520091563803_resized.jpg
    20180303_075632_1520091563803_resized.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 259
Usually this area will get so gooped up with flung chain lube that nothing there will rust. That chain looks a little dry.

If the screw is just rusted cosmetically I would leave it. If it’s rusted to the point you may not be able to remove it sometime in the near future, replace it.

Put some oil on it....and your chain really needs lubrication! Do you wash the chain with a power washer? That's a real no-no by the way!

Well I just got the bike and the dealer in Maryland said he cleaned it but when it arrived via a shipper it didn't look like it was washed, maybe hosed off. We are in the 20-30s now here in Idaho with snow so I am not sure when I will get a chance to wash it properly. What the best way to oil a chain? recommend oil? I have seen a trio of products on Amazon called Maxima that has a cleaner, lube and wax. Is that something thats good? I havent done any research so if you can point me in a direction I can look for myself. I dont want you guys to think I want to be spoon fed but my garage isnt very bright and I never noticed the chain condition until this morning when I was snapping the pictures.

If it has a centerstand, raise it up and clean/lube it generously with WD-40. WD-40 is about half solvent and half lubricant but for now, it will keep it from rusting even more!

ps. everyone has their favorite chain lube so don't start that thread!

DO NOT lube your chain with oil or WD40. Whist they will help with the rust problem while the bikes in the garage, they will be flung off as soon as the chain is made to turn the rear wheel and you'll be back to square one.

Get yourself some proprietary chain cleaner and chain lube from a bike shop or good machine store. Once the chain lube is applied, leave it for a couple of hours to set to a wax. YouTube is an excellent learning tool.

While you've got your hand in your pocket, get yourself some ACF50. Clean the rusty screw up and give it a squirt of the ACF50. that'll take care of the rust. Use it all over the bike, especially the front fork stanchions (a little goes a l o n g way). Just keep it away from the brake disks.

I suspect the "cleaning" your dealer did was by the Saturday boy with a power washer!

Last edited:
While the originator of the thread did ask in post #4 what kind of chain lube to use, we all know this would continue with 50 different recommendations and no conclusion. I suggest we drop that topic and refer to the other endless chain lube debates elsewhere on this forum and all over the Internet.

The chain lube thread is first cousin to the dreaded “oil thread.”

My apologies, I didnt mean to open a can of worms. I didnt realize my chain needed attention until after the photos were taken. My bike was delivered at night and its been in my garage which doesnt have all the lighting I would like. I have received some great input and I appreciate all the advice. With what has been said I think i am good for my screw and for my chain. Thanks everyone for the help.

My apologies, I didnt mean to open a can of worms. I didnt realize my chain needed attention until after the photos were taken. My bike was delivered at night and its been in my garage which doesnt have all the lighting I would like. I have received some great input and I appreciate all the advice. With what has been said I think i am good for my screw and for my chain. Thanks everyone for the help.

No need to apologize! Chain lube choice is a very good question. The problem is that a diverse forum membership cannot answer the question. There are just too many opinions and no concrete answer to be found here.

On most things, we can reach a consensus. Chain lube and engine oil, not so much.

Last edited:
No need to apologize! Chain lube choice is a very good question. The problem is that a diverse forum membership cannot answer the question. There are just too many opinions and no concrete answer to be found here.

On most things, we can reach a consensus. Chain lube and engine oil, not so much.

And Ginger or Mary Ann [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Professor might appeal more to some folks...

Not that there’s anything wrong with that...:confused:

Just sayin’....... :D

I think there is a consensus on both chain lube and motor oil, everyone agrees both greatly extend the life of the bike, and should be used.

It's the specifics of brands, types, countries of import, color, clarity, flavor, viscosity, nutritional value, application periods, use of voodoo rituals for application and removal, use of applicators, packaging preferences, expiration dates, impact of the tides, etc. those are often points of contention...

Back