• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MRA Vario Touring Screen-Installed!

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Arrived today, my MRA screen from Twisted Throttle;
DSC00432_zps2e99d409.jpg

Installation is very easy. Remove stock screws and screen. Install new screen using new screws with spacers and washers. Took all of 5 minutes.

This main body of the MRA screen is not much taller than the stock screen, but is wider. The big difference, of course, is the adjustable smaller screen.
Here is the how it compares:

DSC00436_zps4968b3f3.jpg

Overall look:
DSC00437_zpsa7ec377b.jpg

Profile with the smaller screen up:
DSC00438_zps0c054509.jpg

Spacers:
DSC00440_zps789d295c.jpg

Adjusting mechanism:
DSC00441_zps728bb764.jpg

Took a brief ride after installation and it does make a big difference. I'm 5'7" and the stock screen actually provided a decent wind break, but I wanted a little more for long distance rides. I like the adjustablilty. Up for long rides or cold days, down for around town or when I need some more airflow on a super hot day.

Quality seems very good. The adjusting mechanism needs minor effort to move and seems made to adjust when off the bike as you really need to use two hands. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase.

You get yours from twistedthrottle.com as well? I just got mine today also, but haven't yet had the opportunity to install it. I'm 5'9" but don't know the height from the seat to the top of my helmet. Looks good. I hope you'll be posting your impression after giving it a highway run. Will likely install mine in the morning and take it out for a brief run before work.

Seems like the are the only US vendor for a lot of NC700X accessories. Someone must have canceled their order since I was not supposed to get mine until next week. Good for me!!

Well, took it for a longer spin last night at highway speeds and it made a significant difference. Using the scientific method of no ear plugs, at full height/tilt it disrupted the air flow enough that I could conceivably ride in comfort at highway speeds without plugs (not that I would). Also, I have the screen mounted in the upper position (flip the rubber nuts on the faring), so keep that in mind too.

With the extra width and height (of the spoiler) it creates a much larger still air pocket compared to stock. Of course, YMMV, depending on your height. So, it's a keeper!!

Well, took it for a longer spin last night at highway speeds and it made a significant difference. Using the scientific method of no ear plugs, at full height/tilt it disrupted the air flow enough that I could conceivably ride in comfort at highway speeds without plugs (not that I would). Also, I have the screen mounted in the upper position (flip the rubber nuts on the faring), so keep that in mind too.

With the extra width and height (of the spoiler) it creates a much larger still air pocket compared to stock. Of course, YMMV, depending on your height. So, it's a keeper!!

I did the install this morning and went for a ride down I-81. The extra width does make a significant difference. I could actually feel the envelope of still air around my torso. I didn't notice the difference as much around the helmet with the spoiler adjusted to the maximum, however, there is a difference in the smoothness of the air. I'll edit this post later to include the height of the seat to the top of my helmet. It may be of relevance to some here.

Did more riding with the spoiler at different settings and found the best setting for my height, 5'9", is the lowest setting. The highest setting, #5, started buffeting my helmet like a jack hammer. Setting #3 was nearly as bad. Finally pulled over and set it to setting #1 and found that to be acceptable and only marginally better than stock around the helmet. For the torso, however, it's quite a bit better. In my opinion, I should have saved my money because the stock screen wasn't that bad.

Did more riding with the spoiler at different settings and found the best setting for my height, 5'9", is the lowest setting. The highest setting, #5, started buffeting my helmet like a jack hammer. Setting #3 was nearly as bad. Finally pulled over and set it to setting #1 and found that to be acceptable and only marginally better than stock around the helmet. For the torso, however, it's quite a bit better. In my opinion, I should have saved my money because the stock screen wasn't that bad.

Great feedback. Thanks for posting your findings. The first think I had on my list was a better windscreen, but the aftermarket options so far suggest the stock screen is actually fairly decent. The stock screen is so narrow that there is no quiet, still pocket behind it, but it does reduce the blast significantly.

The Vario looked the most promising to date. If only it came in a taller version along with the adjustable piece.

Greg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it's not working for you. I did some more riding and am really loving it.

Did you mount it in the upper or lower mounting holes? The upper adds another 1.5 inches. For me, with the spoiler at highest setting, the airflow goes right at the brow of my helmet actually pushing air into my upper vents. Maybe you should think about the regular non-spoiler screen from MRA. According to the guys at twisted throttle it's taller than the Vario.

Sorry to hear it's not working for you. I did some more riding and am really loving it.

Did you mount it in the upper or lower mounting holes? The upper adds another 1.5 inches. For me, with the spoiler at highest setting, the airflow goes right at the brow of my helmet actually pushing air into my upper vents. Maybe you should think about the regular non-spoiler screen from MRA. According to the guys at twisted throttle it's taller than the Vario.

Funny, I thought about the slightly taller screen without the spoiler, but was intrigued with the idea of it being adjustable. Anyway, it does quiet the air a little at the lowest setting and the extra width makes it significantly better around the torso. I have it mounted in the upper grommet holes but maybe I should experiment with it mounted in the lower position.

Edit: As an aside to this, when I mounted hand guards to the Multistrada, that made a surprising difference with regard to diverting the air around the torso. Surprising, because I wasn't expecting it.

Last edited:
Another thing I like about the Honda touring screen is the fact that the bar is quite robust and should offer reasonable protection to the clocks in the case of a tumble

Having done a fairly thorough web search, I can't locate that particular screen to compare it's dimensions. Would you point me in the right direction please?

Edit: Found it! Guess I wasn't as thorough as I thought!

Last edited:
Seems like the ticket might be the taller Honda screen with it's stronger mounting system, with an aftermarket spoiler added to that, if there were such a thing.

Greg

Nics pics tweak89.
Cool beanz Team Honda (tweak89, Cyclerosis, Rocker66)!
When it comes to the subject of height, some are all legs and short torso, so there could be some differences. I'm more curious about the seat height to top of head/helmet metrics...I will be checking back on this thread for updates. Hope you all had a great weekend, and I shall see you next week!

Last edited:
Nics pics tweak89.
Cool beanz Team Honda (tweak89, Cyclerosis, Rocker66!
When it comes to the subject of height, some are all legs and short torso, so there could be some differences. I'm more curious about the seat height to top of head/helmet metrics...I will be checking back on this thread for updates. Hope you all had a great weekend, and I shall see you next week!
t te

33 1/2" from the seat of the bike to the top of my head. A couple more rides confirms to me the lowest setting works best for my height.

Seems like the ticket might be the taller Honda screen with it's stronger mounting system, with an aftermarket spoiler added to that, if there were such a thing.

Greg

A couple of posters have mentioned the mount of the Honda screen. I've seen it in person and I'm not really convinced that it offers any more protection (for the instrument cluster) or is actually done that way for any other reason than to promote a cohesive look with the rest of the available accessories. Sure it LOOKS beefy, but it's still mounted via the same rubber nuts that will likely pop right out on impact as they would with any screen.

BTW, how would you measure seat to top of helmet? From the front, side or back?

Last edited:
Back