• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mounting Tool Tubes inside of Givi panniers

Just an update...got my msr fuel bottle today. It was not hard at all getting it in the tube...just pushed down on the rubber mounted turn signal a little bit, and it opened up the path very nicely to slide the fuel bottle in to the tube.

My tubes are mounted diagonally on the inside of the givi racks which is a little different from the horizontal mount most are doing so I wasn't sure if the fuel bottle would fit in the tubes past the rear turn signals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Here's the pic of the msr fuel bottle sliding in.

vunygu5y.jpg

It doesn't fit behind the givi case racks, or I would have gone that route. Couldn't figure out a mounting point for the big one anywhere that didn't just look really odd. Decided I could always get another 1 liter bottle for the other side if I wanted more fuel on the bike, or copy ocr for a bunch of extra fuel.
Whoever came up with this idea, my thanks! I don't mind passing some exits now or riding further once that pesky red bar appears on the display!

How stupid is it that I'm thinking about getting side bags, just to add these tubes?
Not too stupid imho. I have the tool tubes waiting to be installed, but the tubes are too small to carry the tools I have or gloves and other gear. My panniers do that and more. Ymmv.

While I'm patiently awaiting my Kappa K33N side cases to arrive from Italy, I attempted to mount my tool tubes with the clamps they provided. It didn't go so well. If I had the flat square PL Givi racks it wouldn't be so bad, but these PLX racks are curved and that made it impossible to position the tubes in a way that I could insert/remove the fuel bottle and get to the locks easily.

I'd rather have metal clamps, hex bolts, and nuts holding these things on, but for now I'll make due with zip ties. I'll fabricate something similar to what supertux1 did to mount his tubes

For now, they'll do:
20160804_070347.jpg

20160804_070710.jpg

20160804_070512.jpg

20160804_070646_1.jpg

Last edited:
On my mount, I don't completely trust the zip ties and might replace them with painted P clamps.

They're just to keep the mounting tab from vibrating and snapping off, not meant as primary supports. The mounting tab on these tool tubes looks sketchy too, I don't trust it but time will tell.
It would be much better with a metal bar running lengthwise from hole to hole and a pipe clamp on each end. That might be overkill. I really like the tubes otherwise.
I also bought the 'large' tube which is something like 4" inside diameter but it doesn't mount anywhere nicely. I had it on the crossbar at the back but took it off because the wheel could hit it.

My frunk was turning into a junk drawer that required rearranging every time I wanted to put my helmet in it. Now most of that stuff (locks, tools, rags) goes into the tubes.

I hope the locks don't convince someone to cut the zip ties and see what's so valuable.

I thought the exact same thing. The lock just screams "something worth taking is inside", but it's just temporary until I get some bar stock to make brackets.

One day you'll regret the zip ties mounting !....I've already had regrets :)

Mind elaborating about those regrets?

Mind elaborating about those regrets?
Just think about where it fall if the zip ties fail to do their job...pretty dangerous...I've lost mine during an off-road ride and all the content (a bunch of tools) was everywhere but in the tool tube...I've lost some of them, the chain protector was broke...this tool tube is not made to carry heavy stuff and it is not heavy duty...

Just think about where it fall if the zip ties fail to do their job...pretty dangerous...I've lost mine during an off-road ride and all the content (a bunch of tools) was everywhere but in the tool tube...I've lost some of them, the chain protector was broke...this tool tube is not made to carry heavy stuff and it is not heavy duty...

well crap, I didn't think of that

Tooltubes - mod report

I got all the parts this week (Agri-Supply and my local Home Depot), so this morning I went out and put it all on the bike. At the top, following the model from Tooltube's Mototube, I used two rubber-insulated rubber clamps a ziptie for good measure, and two zip ties at the bottom. Attaching took about 45 minutes.

20170812_111644a.jpg

20170812_164601a.jpg

20170812_164648a.jpg

Major Findings:
The yellow markings came off but not easily, and neither rubbing alcohol nor acetone worked. A brillo pad from the pantry did the job. With a brillo, the decals on the smooth tops only took about a minute each. The side decals on the textured plastic sides took at least 15 minutes per side with steady rubbing. In fact, I stopped after doing one side each, since the other is inside toward the tire and won't be seen. (I figure folks with real shop tools could make quicker work of this)

20170812_101149c.jpg

I had a hard time figuring out just how to situate them them on my Givi rack, so I appreciate all the pictures people posted. I wound up lining up the bottom clamp so it rested on the Givi cross-piece. This way it won't slide down if I go over a speedbump of something. It doesn't give the rocket booster look, but I'm still happy. There's enough space to get the top off and remove the stuff inside. And I like it hidden behind the turn signal.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd try two kits from TheToolTube.com. I do like doing things on the cheap, but besides schlepping to Home Depot, there was the extra work the night before of removing the decals. Then I again, maybe I wouldn't

That site does give an explicit breakdown of the parts, so I was able to assemble a Home Depot-based parts list below.

Disclaimer: I used wingnuts instead of the black nylon nuts because my Home Depot didn't have the nylon nuts. The wingnuts seem to work well enough.

The Agri-Supply tubes themselves cost me $19.63 with shipping and the Home Depot parts cost me $12.83. So, that makes it ~$32.46 with shipping; ToolTube will charge you $53 with shipping. So about $20 difference to have TheToolTube send you the whole thing sent as a package, sans decals.

Comments and advice welcome.

Last edited:
Back