• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mounting tires?

Prozac

Reaction score
Visit site
Question: (taking advantage of the fact that I'm still a newbie on this forum...) is mounting tires something I should be able to do myself at home? I'm pretty skilled with other technical work on bikes, but I don't know what I don't know, I guess I'm just tired of paying $60 a pop at the dealer...

Question: (taking advantage of the fact that I'm still a newbie on this forum...) is mounting tires something I should be able to do myself at home? I'm pretty skilled with other technical work on bikes, but I don't know what I don't know, I guess I'm just tired of paying $60 a pop at the dealer...

Completely by hand with tire irons, or with something like a Harbour Freight/equivalent floor mounted tire changer?

I think if you haunted YouTube long enough and watched a bazillion DIY tire changing vids, one could get the hang of the basics pretty easy.

Possibly the tricky part would be the static/dynamic balancing if you were unequipped and/or unfamiliar with the tips and tricks of the trade.

I've changed dirtbike tires by hand uncountable times, but those tires were always pretty small and skinny, they seemed not unlike bicycle tires, and were super easy.

A fairly big, heavy, and much less stretchy hunk of 180mm section streetbike tire, c/w spot on high speed balancing? Ermm I dunno if I'd be super confident, myself. Plus I'd hate to tear or booger up a bead or sidewall if my hamfisted attempts went all awry. :eek

I'm thinking about giving it a go when my rear TKC80 gives up the ghost. I have it's new replacement sitting in my living room by the couch. :D

I didn't have any experience with changing tires until I jumped in and got a Harbor-Freight changer. I've changed tires on many different models and the only one I let the shop mount is the rear tire on my Gold Wing (after I take it off). If I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT!

I recently bought this:
$T2eC16d,!)EE9s2uiP!SBRK7TORMfQ~~60_3.JPG

combined with this:
WB3003-2.jpg

and this:
08-0049.jpg

and this:

and this:
http://shop.textalk.se/shop/13719/art19/h4721/3184721-origpic-7553f1.jpg
=
a much easier job !

Wish I had asked this question years ago!!! Thanks, everyone, for your responses! So, I'd always changed my own tires and tubes on bicycles, starting when I was about 10. I guess I was just intimidated by the beefier size of the tires, but it looks like the principles are the same, just with bigger tools.

What do you all think of relying on "Ride on" for balancing?

I've been DIY with motorcycle mechanics for 40 years. I did tire changes hit and miss over the years. Only in the last few years have I purchased the right tools (Harbor Freight changer with Mojo mods and HF balancer. Like hojo said above, I do all mine now but the Goldwing rear. The balancing is pretty easy and the balancer is only about $40-50 to buy. If in doubt you can balance it best you can then add Ride-on for a liquid balancer.

What I've learned is that if you hurt and sweat too much and end up cussing at the job, it's not that it's too hard, it's that you need to refine your technique. When done right it's not too difficult.

Last edited:
+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Post # 6 video.............That pretty much covers it start to finish. Two points they mention that first timer might not get right.........the tire bead opposite of the tire iron insertion point must be in the rim center or low point. The tire is not stretched over the rim, it released from the rim by proper tire and rim position both on removal and install.
Second: There is not substitute for lube and more lube is generally a good thing. Technique is the key as 670 mentioned, it should not be a fight or wrestling match.
Lube thing can turn into an oil thread with preferences from silicon spray, WD40, soap and water, windex, specific tire lube products, lube glide the list goes on.......

The video points out clearly that a tire machine is not needed, it just makes the job easier. I would say that learning the basics with tire irons and transitioning to a tire machine makes the tire changing process easy.......... because the basics do not change irons or machine .........tire bead must be in the drop center and lube makes things "slip" on ;)

Caution you can scratch the black rims easily...........first timer packing tape or duck tape can save the day......did I mention lube ;)
Also...... not Bad idea to remove the brake disk.........it can be easily damaged and or bent during this process.

Last edited:
Wish I had asked this question years ago!!! Thanks, everyone, for your responses! So, I'd always changed my own tires and tubes on bicycles, starting when I was about 10. I guess I was just intimidated by the beefier size of the tires, but it looks like the principles are the same, just with bigger tools.

What do you all think of relying on "Ride on" for balancing?

I've been using Ride-on for a few years. I put it in all my motorcycle tires. I've started changing my own tires with the NC. Watched a lot of YouTube videos like the one OCR just posted. I also recently got a Harbor Freight Tire changer, as it can be done on the garage floor or drive way, but it sure is nice having the wheel up off the ground to work on. I also just got a set of Mojoblocks for the HF tire changer as the one that they sell is cheap, but it has flaws. The Mojoblocks help protect your wheel from the metal to wheel contact the the HF tire changer makes.

Mojoblocks

Portable Tire Changer

Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment

There are many complaints about the HF tire changer too though, but it is cheap. It's just not perfect from the get go. Needs modifying to make it a good working tire changer. But some of the alternatives cost 5x's as much.

Last edited:
This is all just brilliant! I feel a bit sheepish for not having tucked into this before, but it's like a new world has opened up for me!

Thanks, all!

Search for "zip tie motorcycle tire change" on YouTube. It is pretty easy that way too. You don't need as many tools.

I don't believe in Ride-on to the point of a sole balance method, but I put it in the tire after static balancing with a balance stand. Tire balance changes with mileage/wear. If you take a wheel with 8000 miles on the tire, chances are it is no longer in balance. I figure Ride-on will dynamically balance it throughout the life, but I also figure why not start with it balanced with weights in the beginning?

I must admit to being a total whimp- well almost! I removed my rear wheel and took it in to dealer.New Michelin PR4. Total cost $192.81. Tire was $156.83. Labor to mount tire was $25.00. Sales tax was $10.98. KINGS BAY HONDA. KINGSLAND GA.

Last edited:
To the OP, GO FOR IT! Changing your own moto tires is one more step in motorcycle confidence! You can figure for the price of two changes at a dealer, you could buy the tools your need to get the job done yourself. I started changing my own tires about a decade ago and am so glad I started!

My tools consist of the following:
Trueing stand $35

Black Motion Pro Wheel Weights $10

Motion Pro Tire Iro Set $23 **I highly recommend this set due to the longer, curved and lipped bar - it has made changing tires a breeze!)

Rim Protectors $9 (or some old shampoo bottles cut up will work too)

Motion Pro Bead Breaker $52 (also highly recommended)

Two things I haven't yet seen on here:

1. Don't be afraid to use lots of lube (insert dirty, perverted joke here). Not only will it help you remove the tire, but it'll make it much, much easier to put on. Lube is cheap, even cheaper if you use a mixture of Dawn dish soap with water. Just be careful not to impale yourself on a tire iron if you slip because of the lube.

2. Don't be a dick and throw your tires in the trash. Most tire stores will accept moto tires for a nominal charge (as in your state's mandated tire disposal/environmental fee). If you've bought tires from the place, they may dispose of it no questions asked (other than if you bought tires from them). I have a very good relationship with Discount Tire and have never had a problem disposing of moto tires there.

Enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that you could change out tires yourself, in your garage, or on the road/trail!

Back