• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcyclist killed in crash 3 minutes after being stopped for speeding

I my 23 years as a police officer, you would not believe how any motorcycle accidents I made that the motorcyclist was at fault for following to closely and running into the rear of the other vehicle. Because we as motorcyclist can clearly see, smell, and hear our surrounding, to often we are looking at the other things than the vehicles in front of us. We do not have to be speeding for this to happen to any of us.

"The cause of the crash was listed as speed and the motorcyclist following too closely behind the box truck."

Yikes. That looks like my bike. Same year, same color. Really sad.

Following too closely is an epidemic. Many people get away with it for years - until they don't. And on a motorcycle - yeesh. As someone who's slammed a motorcycle into the back of a car once (45 years ago - inexperience, lack of skills, watching gauges instead of the road), it's something I hope to never repeat. I'm an avid follower of the 2-second rule, or 3..... or 4.....

". I'm an avid follower of the 2-second rule, or 3..... or 4.....
Yes. You never know what those seconds can allow you to miss. By the grace of God I missed a box on the interstate the an 18 Wheeler had just gone over without it moving. That means there was something heavy in it. It went under my foot peg. I have not followed that close since.

the speeding part of this also matters. if it isn't following too close mixed in with that, it's something else, like a blind lane change... the other day i was well behind a truck pulling a trailer with a boat on it, probably both of us 10 over the speed limit of 65, and a big thick floatation seat cushion flew out the back and i just barely avoided running over it -- reacting quickly i was still probably within an inch of it where it first hit the pavement. here in montana you see chunks of firewood on the road, stuff from trips to the landfill in loads that were never tarped over etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a police sergeant with 29 years on the job. I stopped counting after I zipped up my 125th. body bag. Now that may sound like a lot but that number was at the nine year mark. I was promoted a couple of months later. God only knows what it would have been if I stayed on patrol.

Thoughts and prayers for his family.
He was looking for a way to wind down from hard work. This "winding down" by riding a motorcycle is not always the best idea. If you are not in a riding state of mind, do not ride - period. This poor fellow has paid the ultimate price.

save us all from our moments of that could easily go bad

Goodness. I drive right past this area when I go home each day. Never saw him while riding out there. Heartbreaking. Guy was my age too - same bike - same backyard. Rest in peace.
Ride safely, everyone.

This accident was less than 2 miles from my home. Then again 3 days ago about 10 miles from my home another rider was killed when a car turned in front of him. Again yesterday I was reading the news where a rider was killed in Seattle, 23 miles from my home. I am finding myself riding a lot less these days. There is some much traffic and drivers are in a big hurry to go no place. Road rage is a common sight and speeding along with all the distractions has made it very dangerous and not a lot of fun. RIP

yah, the open roads are a lot safer and a lot more fun IMO -- away from the density and insanity : \

This accident was less than 2 miles from my home. Then again 3 days ago about 10 miles from my home another rider was killed when a car turned in front of him. Again yesterday I was reading the news where a rider was killed in Seattle, 23 miles from my home. I am finding myself riding a lot less these days. There is some much traffic and drivers are in a big hurry to go no place. Road rage is a common sight and speeding along with all the distractions has made it very dangerous and not a lot of fun. RIP

Bad judgment makes it a whole lot less fun too.
In hurry, that is an understatement.........the guy in the OP was ticketed for 81 in 60..........then 3 minutes later runs into the back of truck going too fast.

Last edited:
The bike doesn't look too bad until you look at the angle of the fork - not good. I have been hearing too many of these stories lately. Almost every day while driving my car to work (I won't commute on the bike) here in the SF Bay Area I hear about a motorcycle accident on the traffic report. All too often it's a fatality. Yet I continue to ride. It makes me seriously wonder if we are all a little crazy to be out there, incredibly vulnerable on two wheels, with so much happening on the road that is out of our control.

Let's remember if he was a member here at some point his family may check in here (to change his profile, post a Public Service, etc); so let's be respectful.

Back