• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

More on Chains, Sprockets...

AdventureBiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I've almost hit 20k miles on my NC700XDCT and it's been determined I need a new chain and both rear and front sprockets. My mechanic friend said the sprockets are "hooking" on the rear and front and I could see metal shavings on the rim. I see lots of chains on Amazon and Ebay but not sure which to get. Rather, I know it's the 520VX2, but how many links? And do I purchase the rivet masterlink as well? Honda dealer wants, $180 for the chain (no way) and $110 for both sprockets. I know I can do better with aftermarket parts and still get quality for the price. Can you guys help me out with bang for the buck purchases? Thank you!

I used sprocket center Sprocket Center and got one of their kits. ~$125 for DID Vx2 natural and both JT sprockets. They now the DCT listed on the website. They send cut to the correct number of links. You choose rivet or clip master link. You can also choose RK or EK chains and have options for natural or gold. Prices vary a little depending what you choose.

I used sprocket center Sprocket Center and got one of their kits. ~$125 for DID Vx2 natural and both JT sprockets. They now the DCT listed on the website. They send cut to the correct number of links. You choose rivet or clip master link. You can also choose RK or EK chains and have options for natural or gold. Prices vary a little depending what you choose.

FYI - I used the same place and just recently changed my chain and sprokets. I bought the exact kit Bama mentioned above with JT sprokets. If memory severs me correclty your kit will come with both links regardless. If you call you can ask that question. When I called I was told it comes with both and it did.

520 Chain Kit - JT Brand Steel Sprockets with Your Choice of X'ring Chain - NC700 (Automatic/DCT models) '12-14 - NC 700S/ 700X - Automatic - NC 700 (all models) 2012-2015 - Honda - STREET Products

Thanks guys for the info. At about $125 shipped it's a great deal.

PS
To AdventureBiker:
Don't let anyone talk you into changing the sprocket sizes. I've heard, I can't point to where I heard it but, changing the sprocket sizes for better performance can really screw up the DCT computer.

Last edited:
I have said it on here previously and repeat now, It is not a good idea to use anything other than the Original Honda front sprocket when replacing. Some aftermarket items regardless of quality, can cause damage to the output shaft splines. I have seen examples of this on other Honda forums. This is especially so when the sprocket "floats" on the shaft as the NC item does. There is no problem with the rear sprocket. I use either Tsubaki or DID xring chains. I think the number of links is mentioned in the specifications in the owners handbook.

I'm changing sprockets and chain. JT sprockets and D.I.D v2 gold. I change sprockets every other chain, and chains last about 14k. It's becoming routine.

The manual will tell you how many links, but I think its 114.

Bottom line: Buy an expensive chain, and inexpensive STEEL sprockets. You don't need aluminum sprockets for this bike. You want the durability of steel, and low cost.

A
Hi guys, I've almost hit 20k miles on my NC700XDCT and it's been determined I need a new chain and both rear and front sprockets. My mechanic friend said the sprockets are "hooking" on the rear and front and I could see metal shavings on the rim. I see lots of chains on Amazon and Ebay but not sure which to get. Rather, I know it's the 520VX2, but how many links? And do I purchase the rivet masterlink as well? Honda dealer wants, $180 for the chain (no way) and $110 for both sprockets. I know I can do better with aftermarket parts and still get quality for the price. Can you guys help me out with bang for the buck purchases? Thank you!

Could you post a picture of the sprockets ? Curious if the hooking is obvious in a picture ?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will post some pictures of the chain and sprockets soon. I've had extreme difficulty logging on to this site as it does not want to accept a new PW it assigned to me. The only way I seemed to have gotten back on is to make a new UN and Pw, and register with another email address!

Sprocket Center did not have the rear 39T sprocket and they unfortunately can't guarantee when it will come in. I will get a heavy duty RK chain (112 links for DCT) from them along with the front engine sprocket. On the hunt for the rear 39T wheel sprocket if anyone knows another source besides the dealer. This forum ROCKS! Thanks guys.

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of 39T rear sprockets on Ebay. Does is have to be specified for the NC700X DCT or would any 39T rear sprocket fit? Sorry, newbie question.

Needs to be for the NC700 (all versions) or the Integra which is the "scooter" version that we don't get in the U.S.. For the rear the bolt pattern/spacing and center hole differ among bikes though you will see that several Hondas use the same pattern. Some of the CBRs use the same pattern which is why you will see huge 50t (drag racing) rear sprockets that will fit.

The front is probably even more selective as the shaft and offset differs among bikes.

As Griff mentioned, with the front a cheep sprocket can mess up the shaft. The rear bolts to the hub so nothing really to mess up there besides maybe some bolts and the chain.

From what I've read back when I was looking for my first sprocket change, JT and SuperLite make good front/rear sprockets. Didn't find many negative comments on them. Renthal makes a lot of sprockets out of aluminum which in my opinion is best left to racers.

Last edited:
I don't get it. You made almost 20k miles on original parts. Isn't that good?
You can get e.g. from PartsFish.com OEM rear sprocket for $40.13, drive sprocket for $35.09 and chain ( DID520V0-120ZB or RK520MKO-120LJ-FZ) for $126.
How much do you expecting to save?

Last edited:
Back