• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Modified Stock Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like adding lights and high viz clothes, a louder exhaust will promote awareness of you. Over the last twenty years of riding I have been in many situations where a louder presence would have kept a motorist from taking my lane, or pulling out in front of me. Heck I live out in the boonies now and I still had a truck push me out of a lane a couple weeks ago because he didn't see or hear me. Many times with ambulances I will hear it before I see it, and that is the idea.
It's AWARENESS that the sound helps. If those around you are aware your there, they will be much less likely to accidentally take your lane or life.

I don't agree with the obnoxious sounds from some bikes, but you can't deny that your not aware of them when they are around. Besides, I doubt the NC could reach that level of annoyance.

It should. I looked into drilling the cat out but from the looks of it seems to be impossible. So getting the link pipe they range in the $300 dollar range.

Dang Jay we get it!

I hear the Quake guy say, "QUAD POST - UNSTOPPABLE!!!!" heheh.

I'll put a few holes in my exhaust to get a deeper tone. But I don't want to make it too loud either. Thanks for posting pics, this thread is awesome.

DanWill I think the ambulance analogy was spot on!

Beemerphile Quite a bit of what ifs you have there. Also if you consider a rider trying to be more noticeable as selfish and self-centered then "I'll be that!" Don't confuse this with me wanting to have the loudest pipes I can get strapped to the side of my NC as to wake up everyone in my neighborhood. I can't speak for everyone, but it's not so people check out our awesome bikes or to look at how cool we are riding. It's because we don't want people in cars sipping a latte and texting to smear us all over the road. SO yeah if a tid bit of sound wakes them from their cage induced drone and prevents them from killing ME then I'm cool with that. Also we must factor in the insane amount of sound damping cars seem to have now a days. I can't remember the last time I was in my car and the sound of a bikes exhaust just pissed me off or made my life miserable.

I'm surprised at the low shots of immature, selfish, and self-centered in regard to people that want a little growl to their bike.

Last edited:
Most everybody on here has made their point, but for me it is as simple as "I like the sound of a motorcycle". I have since I was a kid riding on the back of my dad's old Honda. Hearing a nice exhaust brings back memories of my dad, anything wrong with that? We all have different reasons why we like ANYTHING. When I smell certain diesel and grease I get a great feeling remembering the smell of a tug boat I worked on back in the day on the Mississippi. Most people would think the smell of that would be awful but not me, it's a good memory. I'm only trying to point out why people like certain things and others may not have those touchstones but have others. If you like loud exhaust, great. If you like quiet exhaust, great. I personally like the sound of my dad's old Honda.

Well said and on that note how about this thread get back on topic of how to mod the stock exhaust or not everybody's opinion on loud pipes?

Well said and on that note how about this thread get back on topic of how to mod the stock exhaust or not everybody's opinion on loud pipes?

I good with that...In fact I think I may do the thermal paint treatment similar to the OP this weekend. As for drilling my exhaust I can't say I'm brave enough for that. I think I will just purchase a slip on when I find the one I like.

I'd love to hear anything about the people who didn't want to hear Lee's Army Truck! :cool:

Or is it muffled? :p

To straighten up the discussion... we're talking here about modified (louder) exhaust on HONDA NC700!!!

"Louder" here does not have the same meaning as with 75% (?) of other bikes... and definitely does not mean "deafening"... :D

Most people with LOUD pipes, LOUD shirts and LOUD mouths have something to shout to the world.
They usually say "Hey look what I've got"....

Most people react by whispering that guy's got an issue. He has a small d**k.

I wear ear plugs and I don't hear the sewing machine noise my vanilla NCX makes. I am sure most cagers don't care to hear you. Just wear your loud Hi-Viz jacket or wear your breasts on the outside. They will surely see you.
:p

Most people with LOUD pipes, LOUD shirts and LOUD mouths have something to shout to the world.
They usually say "Hey look what I've got"....

oh that'll be mostly US folks then ooh er ok
getmecoat.gif

Loud pipes create a PR problem for motorcycles and are ammunition used to restrict access rights of motorcycles. Several places in my area have banned ALL motorcycles because of loud pipes. My college alumni group has get-togethers at Atlanta's Atlantic Station. When I go I have to drive my truck because no motorcycles are allowed because of LOUD PIPES. Hodges Gardens is a beautiful place to drive through, but no motorcycles allowed because of LOUD PIPES. Doesn't matter if you are on a Harley or Vespa.

So yes, the future of motorcycling in the U.S. is negatively affected by loud pipes, and in some places I would like to ride but can't, the future is already here BECAUSE OF LOUD PIPES.

And I may be 61 but am not too old. I am just mature enough to restrict my actions that are offensive to others.

This sounds so bizzare to me... Instead of tackling the problem they just banned bikes altogether? Why not just ban loud pipes and hand out stiff fines for affenders?

To buy a Harley I would have to gain 200 pounds and loose my hearing. LOL

To buy a Harley I would have to gain 200 pounds and loose my hearing. LOL

wat didya say!

like this fella?
297454d1360273254-forget-age-what-do-you-think-the-average-weight-of-a-harley-rider-is-fat_man_bike.jpg

I was thinking about it... my girl keeps telling me to black out everything...

Hey Jay
chilll....

We are here to discuss and share our views with others. Most are harmless digs and giving their side of story.
No one is targeting you or your loud pipes.

Some loud pipes do sound nice.
And most loud pipes are just that, loud.

Some people don't like loud pipes. It is their right to say so too.
It is also your right to say you like.

Don't tell people what to do and what not to do. You'll be fine.
BTW, Beemerphile is the king of Mods, and he is also a Mod in this forum.

Happy riding...
Joe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back