• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mirrors - any alternatives?

Philipp

Reaction score
Visit site
The NC700x is my first motorcycle so I may not be used to motorcycle mirrors but I was wondering if there are other options.

When I ride the NC700x I have to lower my head quite a bit so that the mirrors enter my peripheral vision and I can check the traffic behind me. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be this way, but wouldn't it be much safer if I could simply glance left and right to see what's going on behind me? Without having to move my entire head?

I rode on the freeway the other day (only made it up to 55mp/h) and the experience FREAKED me out. The wind pressure was pretty insane and the gusts were throwing me around quite a bit. I guess I'm not used to the experience but it would have been really nice to just glance left and right instead of having to move my entire head (with helmet) to see what's going on behind me.

I'm 6'3 so maybe my mirrors should be a little higher? I just don't see an easy way to do this. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts on this. Are you supposed to lock down so much? Are there any mirrors, or mods that could increase my field of vision and at allow me to glance at the mirrors without having to move my head?

Did a search on the forum and couldn't really find much in regards to mirrors so maybe this is only an issue since I'm a N00b?

Thanks!

I'm 6'3" also and find the mirrors on the nc about as good as they get. Most bikes I'm looking at my shoulders.

Being new to bikes you may not know the mirrors swivel on their stalks. Just grab hold of the mirror and move it around til it's in the position you want

Hey Philipp,

Welcome to the club....

I've been riding a handful of years, and I can promise you that the majority of your anxiety stems purely from inexperience. As you get more comfortable, you will become significantly more comfortable w/ wind gusts as you loosen up. You get used to knowing what happens when you turn your helmet (it is designed for forward-facing slipstream, after all), I remember the first time it happened to me.

As far as the mirrors are concerned. there might be some head movement, but I wouldn't expect anything to drastic. I would say to do as is mentioned above, and try swiveling the mirrors foward to get the away from your body a bit. That might help at your height.

I would also like to add that tons of riders adjust their mirrors so that they see their shoulders in them. Much like many car owners show the side of the car in their mirrors. That's is pointless. You don't need to see your shoulders, they are there. You should use them so that they are showing what's in the next lane.

But yes. It's scary as hell the first few times, especially on the highway. The first time you pass an 18-wheeler and you get just past their draft and it pushes you 2 feet to the side, etc. etc. You'll get used to it. Just give it some time and enjoy it.

Hey Philipp,

But yes. It's scary as hell the first few times, especially on the highway. The first time you pass an 18-wheeler and you get just past their draft and it pushes you 2 feet to the side, etc. etc. You'll get used to it. Just give it some time and enjoy it.

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With a 50-60 MPH cross wind 2 feet lane departure might be on the lower end of the scary pucker factor.....................................

How about a helmet with a built-in rearview mirror. This might be interesting to check out if they get it DOT approved. Go to 2:30 for the mirror description.

[video=youtube;VYFla-d1lKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYFla-d1lKA[/video]

WGW

I have the mirror extensions from Twisted Throttle and they move the mirrors up and out to a nice position. I now can easily move just my eyes to see look at them. Plus, being up and out my shoulders are out of the way providing a nice clear view. The ebay ones look like a nice buy. For 14 bucks its worth the try.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. That helmet sounds super interesting! Great idea!!!!

I have the mirror extensions from Twisted Throttle and they move the mirrors up and out to a nice position. I now can easily move just my eyes to see look at them. Plus, being up and out my shoulders are out of the way providing a nice clear view. The ebay ones look like a nice buy. For 14 bucks its worth the try.

Which system did you buy from them? I can't seem to find it in their "Honda NC700x" section. Do you happen to have a link?

I'm pretty sure they will do their job ;)

IMAG0055.jpg

I was also not happy with my mirrors on this bike. I was also not happy to spend $70-$100 on extensions....so I just made some out of some scraps I got from a buddy. Solid aluminum that started out as a block and I shaped them, drilled, tapped, and polished. I just used a black allen headed bolt for now, but will have to replace this with something non-ferrous eventually. They look a little weird...but then so do I. :)
They work really well and the change in location gave me the extra realestate to stick small convex mirrors on the inside corners. Gotta have those rascals. Covers those blind spots....and yes, I always shoulder check as well.
Function over Form I always say.:cool:

MirrorExtensions1.jpg

MirrorExtensions2.jpg

Probably 10 mm. You can check on parts websites like procaliber. Or unscrew the mirror and bring it to home Depot . they have special stands with all sizes in hardware section. You just screw whatever you have into it to find what size you have.
As for NC oem mirrors-i agree with previous posters.they are fine.try honda cbr:) if you like to find out what uncomfortable mirrors means :)

They look a little weird...but then so do I. :)
They work really well and the change in location gave me the extra realestate to stick small convex mirrors on the inside corners. Gotta have those rascals. Covers those blind spots....and yes, I always shoulder check as well.
Function over Form I always say.:cool:

View attachment 5096

View attachment 5097
Timtone,
Your extenders do not look weird! Very nice job!
And you saved some $$$$$!
Good work.

Back