• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Might not be a good idea to ride bicycle soon after motorcycle, at least for Newbie.

TonySilver

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I usually do not open new threads, since most of the time I enjoy reading all the great information you all have to offer, most of the time I prefer to just read, already opened threads.

However, there are some things I am wondering about, as a newbie, perhaps to some of you already veteran riders these are common sense things. Please feel free to share your ideas and highly accepted information.

First, since the tittle states first point.

After commuting to work on NC, on a very windy and least expected (at least for me) rainy morning. I decided to jump on the bicycle to visit my parents, I took a short 3 mile trail, about 2 miles into the trail I took a turn that I have taken multiple times, and I lost the front tire and lowsided, after sliding for a few feet, I got up inspected the bike and myself, only to discover some scratches, I am very glad I was wearing helmet and gloves.

My question or comment is: I am aware and I felt I took the turn fast (as usual) but I feel I leaned the bike a little too much. Do you think this is a result of riding a light bike after riding the motorcycle, and I took the turn a little faster than usual, or did I push the leaning of the bike.

There is not severe damage to bicycle, just ruined the front tire reflector, handlebars tape, and scratched the left pedal pretty good.

Now about my motorcycle commute...

What do you guys do in heavy rain, in order to see in the highway? I ended up leaving the highway and taking the side roads, I could not see, and I thought it was not safe to remain in highway. I was traveling at 50-55 mph.

Things I think could be done, apply that liquid used for car windshields for rain to slide of visor quickly, or get a tall windshield for my NC, (I will ultimately get a bigger windshield, I was very COLD during the rainy ride, and having a tall windshield might help in the future.)

Final note, if gloves have become extremely wet and I do not have handle-guards, I have heard in the past that wearing plastic gloves under the wet gloves, really helps, Is this true? I did not feel that they made a difference today.

I will definitely know what to get for the bike this coming winter:

Tall windshield.
Handle-guards.
Heated-grips.

Finally sorry for such, a long post, I guess I got inspired,

Thank you,

TonySilver

As far as treating plastic visors or windscreen............many of those products should NOT be used on plastic.

Rain-X® Anti-Fog Treatment Questions
Can Rain‑X® Anti-Fog be used on acrylic?
No. This product should not be used on acrylic, plastic, motor bike helmets or motor bike windshields.

Is Rain‑X® Original Glass Treatment safe to use on plastics, motorcycle windshields, and ATVs?
No. This product is intended for automotive glass applications.

SOME of these treatment products will damage the plastic and make them unusable.

Choose a product carefully that is rated for plastic.

Last edited:
Might not be a good idea to ride bicycle soon after motorcycle, at least for...

Tall screen can be a problem in rain trying to see through drops in both screen and visor. Drops on visor will be out of focus if concentrating on the road. Drops on screen further away more in focus and thus more distraction.

Get a screen you can see over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycle gear has some good hand guards with aluminum frames they do amazing against wind and rain. Also, they have super easy to install grip heaters and are cheap. Maybe check out your local outdoors store and grab some atv handlebar muffs or hippo hands. If the rain is that heavy there is no product to help.

I use a light coat of lemon pledge on my helmet shield,its been working for me a few years now.some may say different.like fuzzy said don't go to tall on a windshield,the wind will help push raise off your helmet.

I do not like looking through a windscreen, when the temperature changes suddenly (driving down into a valley) and the screen fogs up, not a good thing to have happen.

I use water and 210 to treat the windscreen for rain: 210 PLASTIC CLEANER & POLISH from Aircraft Spruce

I don't like the feel of rubber gloves, I use waterproof gloves if it starts to rain.

I have heated grips (bought for about $35.00) and they work GREAT.

HEAVY rain can be a problem no matter what you have, it can get dangerous and may require pulling over at a safe location and wait it out.

As for falling off the bike, it happens. I ride two different motos that are vastly different and a bike as well, you just have to remember what you have between your legs. :rolleyes:

When it's raining on your face shield, look side to side. The drops will get blown off, and you can see again. I learned that from a fellow rider. It works. Just, ya know, know what's around you and don't look to one side for too long.

Good gear is paramount if you want to ride in all weather. I bought a pretty good rainsuit from Revzilla for $49. I have panniers and try to anticipate weather changes by having a change of clothes ready. I did have to stop today and buy some thermal bottoms because of this arctic cold front we are all experiencing (maybe not Florida - yet). Water proof insulated gloves will work for most situations. I don't have any heated gear and don't feel I need it. The proper layers and my core is always warm. Fingers sometimes wish I would get heated grips or gloves - I tell them to shut up.

Never thought I needed heated grips, but it's been the best $50 farkle I've gotten so far, followed closely by the $50 hand guards.

Hand guards are the first mod I did to the NCX, for commuting purpose. My gloves are no longer saggy after a ride in rain (as long as I keep moving). It also cut down greatly on wind chill. My fingers get cold and numb when it gets below 40, no matter what gloves I wear. Cold is now a lot more tolerable. After adding heated grips this fall, I am ready for any the weather can throw at me.

I do use the heated grip a lot more than I thought I would. Now I am always comfortable with any set of gloves. :)

As for water on face shield, I have yet find a product I am 100% happy with. Rain-x works ok but the water still build up on the face shield. What works best is adding a taller windwhield where it would redirect wind to and/or over my forehead. It does a pretty good job of keeping water hitting my faceshield to begin with. If water does build up, I would poke my helmet up into the jet stream and use that to clear the faceshield.

Hopefully you can find the combination that would work for you.

Never thought I needed heated grips, but it's been the best $50 farkle I've gotten so far, followed closely by the $50 hand guards.

Heated grips + heated gloves + hand guards to block the wind = toasty hands all winter. Warm hands and feet are the key to comfortable winter riding.

I grew up riding in Washington State and I ride year round in all conditions where I live now. I'm not so sure there is really anything you can do to gain better visibility in a moderate to heavy rain. A light rain is really no problem as you can turn your head or wipe the drops. These newer gloves have the thumb squeege but I've not mastered how to use it yet. LOL

Pull over if you don't feel safe but be sure your as far off the shoulder as possible and wait for the rain to stop. If your near a overpass pull under it. I'd get off the bike so you have some reaction time from idoit drivers in the rain.

Good gear is key. I never get wet. You can't go cheap on a suit and gloves if you plan to ride in all weather conditions. All the other stuff mentioned is nice but a good suit and gloves will keep you warm and dry.

Good Luck!

Good gloves have a blade for clearing the visor sewn into the index finger. There are also lots of products made for plastic visors available in bike shops - similar to rains but less likely to discolour the visor. They do wear off after a time in heavy rain though - you can also apply them to the windscreen but I don't find them so effective on the windscreen, probably because the air flow can't push the water off the way it does off the visor

When it's raining on your face shield, look side to side. The drops will get blown off, and you can see again. I learned that from a fellow rider. It works. Just, ya know, know what's around you and don't look to one side for too long.

+1. What he says. In heavy rain at highway speeds move your head around to find the best spot to blow water drops off of your face shield. Get a windshield you look over. Rule of thumb is no higher than your nose while sitting on the bike. Windshields can be cut down if they can't be moved.

I think you're thinking too much. Crap happens. A steady pace on the road, no sudden moves, tap your brakes from time to time to clear the rotors and keep them warm, watch out for painted surfaces. Take it easy. Good rain gear is essential. I recommend Frogg Toggs rain suits. The two piece suit I have is a Pro Angler, I think. It has a high collar that hides the rolled up hood and bib overalls with zippered cuffs to get the pant legs over your boots. They don't look it but are very durable just don't let them touch the hot exhaust. I have a suit that is over 8 years old. It's been patched in a couple of places with Gorilla tape. I added strips of 3M SOLAS reflective tape across the back of the jacket and on the outside of the cuffs on the pant legs like Aerostich does. The rain suit will also help keep you warm in cold weather by acting as a windbreaker. The suit might look funny but if you're worried about how you look don't ride in the rain. I've tried dish washing gloves over riding gloves. My hands would always sweat and get cold and wet anyway. Nitrile exam gloves worn under your regular gloves will get very clammy very quickly. Aerostich sells a 3 fingered over glove that works pretty good, I always keep a pair in the frunk. In really heavy downpours get off of the road if you can. DO NOT sit on the bike under an overpass. I you feel you have to, park the bike on the shoulder on the far side of the overpass and walk back in the direction of oncoming traffic to shelter under the overpass if there is enough room to safely do so or just hang out in the rain well off of the road. If your bike gets hit it won't hit you. Windshields are impossible to see through when riding at night in the rain, no wipers. Keep your eyes on the right side of the road away from the oncoming headlights. None of the stuff I've heard of using to wipe on the inside of a face shield works for than a few minutes to keep it from fogging up, definitely not all day. You can get the expensive Pinlock face shield mod or the cheaper Fog City overlay. I used to commute at night and used a Fog City overlay. It worked so long as I kept the face shield cracked open. But what always happened to me when it was raining was water would run down the inside of the shield so I would end up having to open the shield fully to see where I was going. The Fog City product was a pain to apply, not something you can rush, but it worked. My Scorpion modular helmet is the only one I've owned that does not fog up so long as you don't push it too far. No heavy exhaling through your mouth, breath through your nose. I could go on. And on. There is lots of stuff to think about around riding. It comes in time with practice.

Last edited:
+2 on the pin lock. I use one and it really works. It's my glasses that I have a problem with.

And yes, the rain drops reflect light so much at night, it's really hard to see well especially if there's lots of lights ahead of and around you.

Just as several people have said add hand-guards. I had power windshield on the last couple of bike so I could lower windshield now days I just stand up enough to get face shield in air flow to clean it off.

As others have said here, knowing what you are riding is important. I switch between my NC and a scooter often. The scooter has tires better suited for the wet and on short little trips around town it keeps me dryer with my feet up out of the way of water spray. It is half the weight and with my 200 pound plus body on it, i can really throw it around. On the bright side you probably counter steered too much for such a light bike. And as others have said, hand guards are a must . Keep the wind off of your hands. Turning your head really does work. Some helmets are better for air flow. And experience is the best form of knowing what works. Be safe out there. Hi-vis is a good idea cuz other cars may have fogged up windshields too.

Back