• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Messed up ignition key

That could be because they are not in the EU. I will say no more

Nothing really to do with the EU this one. Back in 1989 the iron curtain came down along with the Berlin wall. After 45 years of communism the Eastern block countries were poverty stricken and rife with corruption. There was a surge in tourism to the west, 8 guys in an 8 seater minibus heading west, then next day 8 guys with one 8 seater mininbus and 7 new cars heading east. The insurance companies pushed for new levels of security and that led to the devlopment of immobilisers as standard throughout Europe. The UK didn't have the same phenomenon but thefts of and from vehicles in the UK were always amongst the highest in Europe so they got the immobilisers as well.

FWIW, I've lubed mine with dry graphite a number of times, and it's still less than slick -- but I have yet to actually have it get 'stuck'. Today I noticed it being a little more notchy that usual. Think it's the humidity/rain we've had the last day or so.

trey

My 07 DL key would go in and come out but NOT turn.After fighting with it for 20,000 miles I pulled it back towards the bars one day by accident and it was smooth as butter !!.I hope I don't have issues with the NC key !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has some advice.

I've had the bike for about a month now and about 1000 miles. This morning, on my way into work, I went to get off the bike and remove the key, and it wouldn't come out of the ignition. I had to leave the bike and go into work. After my morning meeting, I came back out to the bike and key slid right out. Later in the day, on the way home, there was an issue getting the key in easily. When I got home, it came out, but it caught a lot coming out.

I just tried it again and it had a really hard time going in and coming out.

The key doesn't appear to have any bends and I'm gentle/easy on my gear, so it's not an issue of bends or over-torquing.

Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have any advice?

Cheers-
J.

hay guys i cut keys for a living and i can tell you i had the very same problem my key was very difficult to get it the lock and when it was in, the barrel would not spring up to release the steering lock and getting it out was a nightmare nearly snapped it a few times. but this is what I found. The tip was difficult to get in because its all about the angel at witch you use if its of by a few mm makes it so hard to get in so just try left to right motion. I found the reason the key was difficult to get in and the spring would not release was that Honda or the garage/dealer used a liquid lubricant now this dose work for a short time but when using a new key it beds in shedding very fine peace's of mettle this mixes with the oil/wd40 and jam's up your lock so all i did was to use a small amount of wd40 to clean the barrel then i dried it using a standard air canister the type you use for cleaning a pc or keyboard then use a dry lubricant now i got mine at work its called graphite powder its also available at amazon or that auction site but most lock places will sell it pop a bit of that in the lock every couple of weeks or when needed that will sort you out. hope that helped. I also cut a spare key to operate my top box and tank box this will turn on lights but will not start the bike.

hay guys i cut keys for a living and i can tell you i had the very same problem my key was very difficult to get it the lock and when it was in, the barrel would not spring up to release the steering lock and getting it out was a nightmare nearly snapped it a few times. but this is what I found. The tip was difficult to get in because its all about the angel at witch you use if its of by a few mm makes it so hard to get in so just try left to right motion. I found the reason the key was difficult to get in and the spring would not release was that Honda or the garage/dealer used a liquid lubricant now this dose work for a short time but when using a new key it beds in shedding very fine peace's of mettle this mixes with the oil/wd40 and jam's up your lock so all i did was to use a small amount of wd40 to clean the barrel then i dried it using a standard air canister the type you use for cleaning a pc or keyboard then use a dry lubricant now i got mine at work its called graphite powder its also available at amazon or that auction site but most lock places will sell it pop a bit of that in the lock every couple of weeks or when needed that will sort you out. hope that helped. I also cut a spare key to operate my top box and tank box this will turn on lights but will not start the bike.

Very good info !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sprayed some silicone based lube down the barrell. Problem solved.

Yeah, I've owned lots of bikes and cars and this is the first that makes me want to break things... worst keysets ever!! Thanks honda

I have this issue with the spare key, but the original seems to work. I oiled the switch with 3N1 oil and it works better.

Nothing really to do with the EU this one. Back in 1989 the iron curtain came down along with the Berlin wall. After 45 years of communism the Eastern block countries were poverty stricken and rife with corruption.

"were?" as in the past? I was in Romania last week. There's newer cars (some probably stolen) and some nice new Euro money roads, but not a lot has changed.

Back