• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Meeting other riders?

lue42

Reaction score
Visit site
I ran out for a coffee this morning and drove by one of my local diners. Out front was about 10 bikes, all parked together - they were definitely together... all different kinds. A couple BMWs, Goldwing, Africa Twin, some japanese cruisers.

It got me thinking... how do these groups form and how do you hook up with them?

First off, I am totally an introvert. Always have been. I never really did the circle of friends thing. But I want to change that.

I have went on a few local bike store rides, try to talk to others there and plan on joining into a Goldwing group ride next week... is that it? Just keep meeting people and eventually find your way into a local group? I could, next Friday, go early and have breakfast at that diner. Is that weird/awkward though. I mean... I was just going to breakfast and, lo and behold a bunch of other riders show up.

It is hard for anyone of you that are not an introvert to understand this and I can only imaging what some of you are thinking reading this. But even at 43 years old I have trouble with this stuff.

I just searched for local motorcycle groups on Goggle - found two here in Portland... one turned out to be a non-starter for me after getting the total cold shoulder at the monthly breakfast meet and greet. The second one was awesome and I have been riding with them for several months and meeting a lot of cool folks.

I also started a very informal Portland, OR NC riders group by just posting a message here asking if anyone wanted to have breakfast and ride a few miles. In 5 months, this list has grown to 8 and we throw out a ride invite every couple of months.

You have to take the first step. If you are ever in Portland OR, give me a shout!

I am never going to get high marks for being the most sociable but I have done what PortlandZinMan has done in regards to googling riding clubs. I have done a couple and would feel comfortable doing it again. People were nice. I have done some rides with my first riding school and other events. As you ride with the groups you will find where you like to be, who like to be with and where you feel you fit in best. I would say the idea is to put yourself out there, have fun and see what happens :)

Also look for "Bike Nights" that draw all kinds of riders. Sometimes it's easy to find like minded people at a bike night. Just look for the ADV/Touring sleds and you're set!

I have tried Googling my area + motorcycle + groups type searches but the only thing that comes up around here is pages about the Hell's Angels and murders (Shedden massacre)

One of the big stores here has a bi-weekly ride and there is the Goldwing ride I plan on going on. I think I will go get a #stthomasproud sticker and maybe it will attract some other St Thomas riders.

I'm an extrovert. I've been told that I could talk to a stump, a pole or a fence post. I guess I got that from my Dad as he never found a stranger. I look up area bike nights and make some of them occasionally which in turn allows to meet and talk with other riders and from there get to make a ride or so with them. You will receive a cold shoulder every once in a while from a group that have known each other a long time but when that happens, they just missed out on meeting and knowing a heck of a guy, me. If you attend church, find out if there are any bike riders as I have found where I attend. Some clubs of a particular bike make/model don't want other bikes in their group. It's their privilege and again, they just missed knowing a great guy. I have some business type cards made up with my name, address, email address and telephone no. When I meet someone I just give them a card and let them know if they want to ride sometime to give me a call or email. I have some guys that I ride with once in a while and some that I ride with most every week. Just hang in there and you'll find your niche. If not, just go riding and think of all the people that have missed knowing a great guy, you.

I have met some good people in rider training. Some schools may be able to point you in a direction. I would think the same of local dealerships or repair shops. Ask if they know of any local riding clubs.

At least in my area, the Meet Up forum has brought some new people to our monthly breakfast gatherings and I always welcome them graciously. Some come once then never come back while others have become regulars.

Back