• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Making a Garmin Nuvi GPS Unit More Water Resistant

I once thought about this method too and I am happy to see it being actually done.

Another quick way is to use kitchen plastic (sandwich) wrap and wrap around those edges too, but this looks uglier than the above solution.
The advantage of my method is: you can rewrap after a real big downpour and you still can "open up" the GPS unit if needed.

If you happen to have a Nuvi 500 or 550 it is already waterproof.

If you happen to have a Nuvi 500 or 550 it is already waterproof.

LOL. I kinda "refuse" to pay extra money for a Motorcycle-ready GPS. What crap!
In any case, when it is raining so hard that I worry for my gadgets, it is probably a good time to stop and have a coffee and seek shelter.
That way I live longer and the machine and gadgets also live longer.

:p

LOL. I kinda "refuse" to pay extra money for a Motorcycle-ready GPS. What crap!
In any case, when it is raining so hard that I worry for my gadgets, it is probably a good time to stop and have a coffee and seek shelter.
That way I live longer and the machine and gadgets also live longer.

That's why the Nuvi 550 was a good deal for motorcycle use. It was half the price of the motorcycle specific units, such as Zumo.

That's why the Nuvi 550 was a good deal for motorcycle use. It was half the price of the motorcycle specific units, such as Zumo.

BTW
How much is such a unit Nuvi550 in US? I saw it at US299 in amazon.

Compare to the current "Lifetime updates, Lifetime traffic" Tomtom or Garmins, the Auto-versions here cost around USD150-200 with 4 or 5 inch screens. Of course they are not waterproof but can be made to be.

eg this is USD200: http://www.interdiscount.ch/idshop/...R-8818381750273/GARMIN-Nuevi-56LMT/detail.jsf

Of course, EU and swiss maps usually cost more than US maps. So....?

Last edited:
The TomTom XL 340s go for about $30 on Amazon. They're used, but you can still update them and they work just fine.
Like Happy, I use a sandwich bag when it rains. I carry some with me so I can get one out quickly. (and it doesn't make my wallet look...funny)

I don't know about you guys but there have been trips I've been on where it rained for 500 miles or more. Saran Wrap and sandwich baggies give me little confidence when it's dark and stormy. Sure, a motorcycle ready GPS was a pain in the wallet when I bought it but for safe reliable use in the conditions I ride in the acquisition pain pales in comparison to the confidence I have in the unit to work in any and all conditions I may find myself riding in. In addition, the buttons and controls are easier to use in gloved hands.

I once thought about this method too and I am happy to see it being actually done.

Another quick way is to use kitchen plastic (sandwich) wrap and wrap around those edges too, but this looks uglier than the above solution.
The advantage of my method is: you can rewrap after a real big downpour and you still can "open up" the GPS unit if needed.

I have a Nuvi 765T. When I opened it to replace the battery the screen was secured to the front bezel so if you sealed the screen on the outside you would still be able to open the case.

When I was first looking for a replacement for my Garmin GPS V I considered the 500/550 but turned them down because of the smaller screen and both of those units don't have an earphone jack or Bluetooth audio like the 765T has.

I don't know about you guys but there have been trips I've been on where it rained for 500 miles or more. Saran Wrap and sandwich baggies give me little confidence when it's dark and stormy. Sure, a motorcycle ready GPS was a pain in the wallet when I bought it but for safe reliable use in the conditions I ride in the acquisition pain pales in comparison to the confidence I have in the unit to work in any and all conditions I may find myself riding in. In addition, the buttons and controls are easier to use in gloved hands.
Nothing beats buying a dedicated, tailored, item to solve the problem, and once you have that, you wouldn't go back.

The sandwich bag goes on open ended and upside down... I then us a twist tie to close the opening around the power cable.
Water doesn't flow up so well, so it stays dry....I concede it's a little harder to read if you don't have time to do a careful job.

Like most rain gear, you have to get it on before the down pour, or it does no good at all.

I covered the speaker hole with black duct tape. I've also made a sunshade (rainshade?) that makes the screen more readible in bright sunlight, but helps keep light rain from hitting the GPS face. It attaches with velcro to the GPS. The velcro covers any holes on the sides. All in all, the GPS comes out pretty water resistant. If I'm concerned, I put the GPS in a plastic sandwich bag.

Chris

I get it, I understand, the right tool for the job. It is a pain in the wallet though.

hahahahah....

There is no right nor wrong about your choices.
Some people like it simple. Some people like to tinkle with the device and make sandwich bags etc.

All in good fun!
All people have different tastes and different ways to "enjoy" their rides and their bikes.

I do have enough money to buy a brand new GS and be it all kitted out, but I don't. Why?
Because I figured I will have limited fun on the GS because it is too heavy and way too over-spec'ed for my riding.
I will also be "worried" if it falls over and when I go for servicing (costs etc).

The NCX and my cheap GPS (which is still not waterproof) are "fit for purpose".
If the GPS dies, or the NCX calls it a day, I will retire them and buy the next new kid on the block.
It is never gonna be a Bonneville or a CB500.
But who cares.
It gives me great pleasure now to just hop on and go....

Just buy the right Nuvi. Some are waterproof. My Nuvi 550 has been in plenty of rain for 20,000 miles on my NC plus more than a year on previous ride. About 1/3 price of Zumo.

Huh. I just noticed Garmin took the Nuvi 550, added Bluetooth and possibly upgraded the processing and software, and it's now sold as the motorcycle friendly Zumo 220.

Huh. I just noticed Garmin took the Nuvi 550, added Bluetooth and possibly upgraded the processing and software, and it's now sold as the motorcycle friendly Zumo 220.
But put the Zumo name on it and more than double the price. Bluetooth would be nice but not for that much money. :mad: I am asking for the lower priced Tom Rider for Christmas.

I've thought about the TomTom Rider also. One thing that I thought was poor, was that it had no traffic. Not that I use the traffic feature on my current GPS often, but it bothers me to spend more money and get less just because it says it is made for a "motorcycle''.

l like a previous posters comment to buy an older TomTom model for $30.00. If it turns out you didn't get it completely waterproof and it gets fried - who cares? My favorite "motorcycle" GPS is a Navignon 2100 Max. When it finally dies, I'll have to do some soul searching. Nothing currently made is as good.

To a certain extent, I wonder if we aren't making a bigger deal out of "needing" a waterproof GPS than it deserves. I ride year around and often in rain. But when I'm riding in rain, I'm commuting, and I know the route like the back of my hand. I don't have the GPS with me. When I have the GPS, is when I'm going for a trip...and I generally can plan to do that when rain isn't in the forecast. For those few times when the rain is coming down in buckets, a simple sandwich bag gives me plenty of security...and a whole lot less cost.

Chris

Last edited:
Two features I would like that are in Tom Tom. One is Bluetooth so I cam hear directions and not have to watch it. Tje second is tje feature to pick twosty roadsmfor a route.

I do ride in rain and need it to be waterproof. A cheap one that isn't will either let me down or be in the frunk when I would like to be using it.

I just use my phone...
Galaxy S4 active is water proof (down to a meter I believe) has bluetooth, and updated traffic...

It isn't as useful when I don't have service, but I have offline maps of the US loaded on it so I can at least see where I'm going even if I don't have turn by turn navigation (and so long as you start navigation when it has coverage it will keep navigating even when it looses coverage) and besides, as the point where I'm far enough out to loose coverage getting lost becomes half the fun.

Back