• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad deflectors install

I contacted Madstad a week ago and was quoted $120 for a side deflector retrofit kit. I said I thought they were going for $80. Given the price of the whole system was something like $260, I mumbled that for a past customer, the deflector kit was too expensive, but thanks anyway. I later got an email back from Chris and a phone message from Mark Stadnyk that they "got the price down" to $80. I placed the order, paying $11 for shipping, and got it in three business days.

I installed the kit today. There were no quality issues and no fitment problems at all. The deflectors clear the fake air duct bodywork by about the thickness of my fingers, so I dont expect any rubbing issues even in the wind. Test ride is tomorrow once the snow melts out of the driveway. So far it looks like a good purchase.

Last edited:
I contacted Madstad a week ago and was quoted $120 for a side deflector retrofit kit. I said I thought they were going for $80. Given the pice of the whole system was something like $260, I mumbled that for a past customer, the deflector kit was too expensive, but thanks anyway. I got an email back from Chris and a phone message from Mark Stadnyk that they "got the price down" to $80. I placed the order, paying $11 for shipping, and got it in three business days.

I installed the kit today. There were no quality problems and no fitment issues at all. The deflectors clear the fake air duct bodywork by about the thickness of my fingers, so I dont expect any rubbing issues even in the wind. Test ride is tomorrow once the snow melts out of the driveway.
First I can't see the pictures on my computer.

Second, what is requiredto installing them.

First I can't see the pictures on my computer.

Second, what is requiredto installing them.

I didn't post a picture because it would look just like post #60 except the bike would be orange instead of red.

Installation requires substituting the black metal mounting base plate for a new one that has side tabs to provide a mount for the deflectors. Then the two defectors attach with hand tightened wing bolts. That's it.

Last edited:
I took off the deflector from mine. after extensive testing the deflector gave me more noise.

the air coming of it would hit me right at the helmet side causing lots of wind noise. but again this result would be different depening on your height

I took off the deflector from mine. after extensive testing the deflector gave me more noise.

the air coming of it would hit me right at the helmet side causing lots of wind noise. but again this result would be different depening on your height

Now that it's cold and I've been riding with my deflectors for some time, I should take them off and see how it feels; I made a bit more of an observation while riding home today, it seems like I get a lot of wind on the sides of my upper abdomen area. I felt like the deflectors may be forcing the air to go upwards, then I run into it with my body. I don't notice any air hitting my arms (higher up) where I would think the air would be hitting me after it hits the windscreen (Madstat screen), so maybe I would feel less wind without the deflectors.

On the Yamaha Super Tenere, the deflectors scoop the air downwards and off to the side, unlike the Madstat (IMHO) where some probably goes straight up and some to the side.

I can't ride my NC without the deflectors. Without them I get some kind of severe harmonics going on with my helmet, like my heads is hooked to a vibrating palm sander or something. With them its smooth and quiet, and very little wind on my chest too.

Did a 60 mile ride today with the deflectors on. Condition was mid 50's F, 20 mph wind with some gusts. I stayed on slow two laners so I didn't test at Interstate speeds.

I was very pleased with the deflectors! With either a tail wind or a headwind, my helmet, neck, and chest were in still air. The noise from air coming in at the bottom of the helmet was much reduced. With strong side winds, well, it is what it is, since the windscreen can't do much for you.

One possibility as to why mine was working well whereas other owners indicated mixed results or dissatisfaction: My windscreen is drilled about 40 mm higher than the Madstad "stock" location. I was also running it at it's lowest position. As a result, there is very little gap between the bottom of the screen and the deflectors. That may account for very little wind passing under the screen and reaching the chest area.

As a total side note, I also tested my Gold Valve emulators at one turn preload instead of two (two was suggested in the instructions). The forks reacted better to sharp bumps. I'll keep it there. So, that improvement also contributed to my overall satisfaction with today's ride. :eek:

Last edited:
One possibility as to why mine was working well whereas other owners indicated mixed results or dissatisfaction: My windscreen is drilled about 40 mm higher than the Madstad "stock" location. I was also running it at it's lowest position. As a result, there is very little gap between the bottom of the screen and the deflectors. That may account for very little wind passing under the screen and reaching the chest area.
. :eek:

I lowered my Madstat screen so that the bottom is just above the Madstat deflectors and it made a huge difference; no more wind hitting my abs/chest area. On the flip side, I'm getting more helmet wind which I can't say that I'm not wild about. I may try another deflector (home made) either on the bottom of the screen or on the side of the black plate holding the screen, to take wind off my abs/chest.

I lowered my Madstat screen so that the bottom is just above the Madstat deflectors and it made a huge difference; no more wind hitting my abs/chest area. On the flip side, I'm getting more helmet wind which I can't say that I'm not wild about. I may try another deflector (home made) either on the bottom of the screen or on the side of the black plate holding the screen, to take wind off my abs/chest.
Maybe you need the screen taller to have it all the way down and no helmet noise.

I can't ride my NC without the deflectors. Without them I get some kind of severe harmonics going on with my helmet, like my heads is hooked to a vibrating palm sander or something. With them its smooth and quiet, and very little wind on my chest too.

That's exactly what the deflectors did for me too.

If I may ask to those subscribed and are owners, what is your height? Windshield size? and mounting position?

Waiting for some feedback before I place my order and any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm 6' tall (1.83 meters), I have a 34 inch inseam (86.4 cm) and after talking to Madstat, I was told I should get the 20 inch screen. For the screen alone, I am very happy with the height, it goes up where I want it to in the winter and down far enough in the summer where I want it to (if I had the 22" screen it wouldn't go down far enough for me in the summer and I wouldn't put it up all the way in the winter...I still want to see over the screen).

Add the side deflectors and you get a different wind flow; I get hit on the chest with the screen in the highest position, which allows air to go under the lower edges of the screen, and yet above the side deflectors, hitting me. By lowering the screen down a bit, I no longer get hit in the chest, however, I get more cold air on my helmet. I have just made a plastic deflector to add on top of the Madstat deflectors that takes care of the problem of getting hit on the chest with the windscreen in the tallest position, so I am happy.

i second this request.
i ordered the deflectors today and will see them sometimes next week.

Here is the deflector that I cut out and added above the Madstat deflector. I pretty much just threw it together in a few minutes and haven't gone back to see how much I could modify it to make it slope more like the Madstat's deflector. It does clear the handlebar.photo-64.jpg

Back