• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lowering Links Notes NC700X

Hot Wing

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed Over Racing lowering links this past week. The new links are 15mm longer than stock. The result is the seat is 1" lower.

Seat Height:
Stock 32 1/4 in
With links / before lowering forks .85 in. 31 1/2 in
With links / after lowering forks .85 in. 31 1/4 in

Notes:
Stock steel links .235 thick
Aluminum Over Racing links .335 thick

The suspension bolts are about 3mm to short for these thicker than stock links. The bolts don't quite pass all the way through the nuts. They are about two or three threads to short. I attempted to find longer bolts locally. This was a waste of time and fuel. The stock bolts appear to be grade 10.9. There is a reason Honda chose high grade bolts. I am unwilling to use a lower grade part on a major safety item. I ended up using a liberal dose of high strength red lock-tight.

From the saddle it felt a little like sitting on a cruiser, with the new links and before lowering the forks. The forks felt raked out. I did not ride the NC like this.

Chain Adjustment:
Adjust your chain to "perfect" before you install lowering links. Install the links and measure your new correct chain slack. Write it down, add a Dymo label to your swing arm… Whatever works for you.
Stock ideal slack 35mm
New ideal slack 25mm after installing the new links.

Kick Stands:
With the lowering links and lowered fork height, there is no real issue using the center stand. It is noticably harder to lift, but not unreasonable. No adjustment required.
Before lowering the forks, with the new links installed, the side stand length was fine. After lowering the forks, the side stand is to long. It works, but I recommend you don't:
*Turn the wheel to the right, while on the side stand.
*Park with any sort of hill or rise, on the left side of the bike.
*Park with a strong wind blowing from the left.

I need to shorten the side stand, or find a shorter one. I should have placed a protractor on the seat and used a level before I installed the links. Then I would have a target for the proper lean angle. If anyone has a spare stock side stand they want to part with... let me know!

I did a little experimenting with my links. Since I have access to a water-jet cutting machine at work and lots of left over Stainless Steel, I made 2 sets. I used 1/4" (6.35mm) 400 series stainless steel. Much stronger than the OEM units.
The first set was 3/4" (19mm) longer than stock (stock is 5.25"/133.35mm). It dropped the seat 1-3/4" which was a huge drop. The flat foot stance was nice, but I couldn't deal with the useless sidestand and having to hoist the rear tire 4" off the ground to get it on the center stand.
So back to the drawing board. Now that I knew that the lowering ratio was around 2.2 to 1.0 I made a set that were only 1/4" (6.35mm) longer than stock. This dropped the seat height about 5/8" (16mm). This was a nice compromise that allowed me to still use the sidestand (carefully) and get it on the centerstand.
The next thing is I will lower the front by raising the tubes in the triples around 1/2" (@13mm). This should get the geometry back to stock and hopefully lower the seat height a little more. If it affects the side stand too much more I think I'll have to start cutting it down until it's right.

You should definitely cut the sidestand all it takes is a strong breeze or a careless bump from an inconsiderate passerby and you'll be regretting it. A new sidestand is cheap, I'm sure you can also find an aftermarket one pretty cheap to cut down too. Or at worst weld the old one back together but either way you definitely don't want to be buying new plastics.

Your right on the side stand. Honda has a habit of making their sidestands very short and upright compared to other manufacturers. My 07 Bonneville's stand is at least 3" longer than the NC and when it opens it actually goes about 15° past perpendicular. This gives it a nice solid lean that is very stable. I guess it's time to cut the stand or find one on Flea-Bay cheap and hack on it.

Back