• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for another bike

cost is a consistent theme for some (me)... I would have loved it if the NC came shaft drive... but that would have made it $1000 more expensive.
Of coures, I've spent more than that replacing chains and sprockets.... would be nice to have the option on the NC... sigh....

Do I read correctly that shaft is less efficient than chain? Would a rider have noticed the difference on a 670cc engine?

Shaft is less efficient. You'll know it the first time you roll it around the driveway or garage. I think the difference would be noticeable in power and fuel economy on the NC700.

I think the difference would be noticeable in power and fuel economy on the NC700.

I'm glad to hear that. I was hoping the chain design choice was about efficiency and NOT just cost.

I have this romantic notion that the engineers got to do something efficient, interesting, and innovative with the NC.
'hope that's true even in a small way.

No. Granted it needs to be maintained and lubricated regularly. It has the least power loss and probably the cheapest replacement cost. I'd like the super low maintenance shaft drive but I have a lot of friends that went the shaft drive route and had to have them replaced...and spending thousands of dollars in some cases unexpectedly doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.

So if a gold wing with its known reliability doesn't come along I am seriously considering the KTM. Every long term review that I've heard is good.

Had a KTM demo ride this last weekend at a dealer. Went out for the heck of it and tired the 1190 Adv and 1290 SA. Preferred the 1190 over the 1290 SA...reasons
1. only 10 HP between the 2 makes no difference to me
2. 1290SA felt way top heavy compared to the 1190
3. 1290SA has CC standard but the button was place far too away for me to reach with my thumb. 1190 doesn't come with it but there is a aftermarket one which some say looks and is once installed is implemented better than OEM.

but YMMV...go out and test ride both of them to see how they feel

Last edited:
Had a KTM demo ride this last weekend at a dealer. Went out for the heck of it and tired the 1190 Adv and 1290 SA. Preferred the 1190 over the 1290 SA...reasons
1. only 10 HP between the 2 makes no difference to me
2. 1290SA felt way top heavy compared to the 1190
3. 1290SA has CC standard but the button was place far too away for me to reach with my thumb. 1190 doesn't come with it but there is a aftermarket one which some say looks and is once installed is implemented better than OEM.

Good to hear. I've heard the narrow seat on the 1190 gets a little rough after a while. Originally I was looking at a sport tourer or big ol' touring bike...but I love the idea of doing two up with all the gear on all road surfaces. So now my YouTube feed is full OT KTM videos. None of my local shops allow demo rides, a few won't even let you sit on a bike.

Thank you for the report. Was not aware of the after market CC option for the 1190.

Last edited:
Shaft is less efficient. You'll know it the first time you roll it around the driveway or garage. I think the difference would be noticeable in power and fuel economy on the NC700.
I don't know about the fuel economy.. I have a shaft driven 2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard which is 805cc engine, weighs 500+lbs and gets 52-55mph on the interstate doing 70-75mph, even after 75,000+ miles; matter of fact, my last fill up was 60mpg after commuting to work, so if the NC700 was shaft driven, yes it would lose some fuel economy but being over 100lbs less in weight than the C50, should get better fuel economy than the C50.

Last edited:
Back