• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking at an NC700x for occasional two up and dirt roads

My wife prefers the NC700X pillion seat over my ST1100 pillion. We have gone on several hundred mile trips and she doesn't seem to have any issues. We are around the same size as you. It will struggle on really steep hills 2 up with loaded luggage, but without luggage, it's not bad. On normal hills and highway cruising, it's fine. Downshifting into 5th helps on hills as well.

The 650GS was the other bike in the running when I bought the NC in 2012. In the end it came down to a few factors.The NC is a HONDA, and Honda has a reputation of reliability,longevity and low cost of ownership, which after 2 years of owning it I must agree with. BMW on the other hand has a slightly different reputation, which I have no first hand experience with, but the repair cost for a needed dealer repair or service would surely be higher. On the plus side BMW brand has a "coolness" factor to me, and there owner clubs and rallies with tens of thousands of members are second to none ,except maybe Harley. The Gold Wing Groups are the only real Honda clubs, the official Honda Rider's Club of America is truly pathetic and looks like it was designed then abandoned a decade ago! The plus for the NC were a brand new design, better fuel economy and the gimmicky Frunk witch turned out to be the a feature that would be very hard to give up. In the end I think they are both great bikes and pretty similar, I went with the Nc700 and haven't looked back.

Making popcorn now. Just waiting for L.B.S. to join in with words of wisdom and experience on the BMW. :D:D:D

[...do you think a Corbin would help?]

I've had Corbin seats in the past and they all felt like steel base with upholstery over the top, which they were. Corbin glues the cover to the foam which makes it much denser than the norm and I think it's done for cosmetic reasons. The gluing of the cover to the foam is the main reason why many of those who redo seats will not touch a Corbin.

I have done a short ride on the back of my own NCX a and find the back seat pretty comfy. I have the OEM trunk and a small back rest cushion would work great. I am used to riding pillion on a Sportbike (sometimes for 100's of miles) so I have felt the worst seats imaginable. The right pants also make a big difference. Compression bike shorts and even ones with the gel inserts work great. Leather also always helps with "butt fatigue". Go with her to do a long test ride. She will know pretty quick.

I have the hondabikepro skidplate. I consider it to be the top of the line for protection. Altrider just started making one. Hepco Becker(sp?) makes one, and I think there are another one or 2 companies.

SW-Motech makes one for the NC standard shift and DCT bikes. I bought one for my DCT a couple of weeks ago. I found it on A Vicious Cycle by doing searches on Google for the part number. The only reason I did so is because it is quite a bit less money than the Hondabikepro model but does not look to be anywhere near as robust. I'm not planning on doing any riding anywhere near as gnarly as the riding done by Dr. Zed on the CannonTrek.Co ride in 2013.

SW-Motech makes one for the NC standard shift and DCT bikes. I bought one for my DCT a couple of weeks ago. I found it on A Vicious Cycle by doing searches on Google for the part number. The only reason I did so is because it is quite a bit less money than the Hondabikepro model but does not look to be anywhere near as robust. I'm not planning on doing any riding anywhere near as gnarly as the riding done by Dr. Zed on the CannonTrek.Co ride in 2013.

A Vicious Cycle is affiliated with Twisted Throttle in Rhode Island. AVC had me order the item from TT to avoid US/Canadian Customs duties.

Back