• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Longtime rider, new NC700X DCT owner in Washington, DC

jasonhpier

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I've put many miles on my past bikes (Suzuki Burgman 400, BMW R1150RT, Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive), and just purchased a new 2016 NC700X with DCT today. It's a frigid day in the northeast, so I will be bringing it home some other day, which means I'm searching for my first add-ons from my couch! I'm mostly a long-distance touring rider for day trips and a couple of long weekends each year. I am not a sport rider at all. My current Burgman 650 Executive has been to Canada a couple of times, down to Savannah, Georgia; Charleston, South Carolina; and west to Columbus, Ohio.

My first planned mods will be a new windscreen (Probably a Madstad with the wings, though a Puig touring is high on the list), and a top case to fit two helmets and also to use as a backrest as I usually ride with a pillion. I'm debating the SHAD SH58X (SH58X Expandable Top Case) which expands and contracts depending on what you want to put in it, and the slightly less sexy-looking SHAD SH48 (SHAD SH48 TOP CASE BLACK / SILVER - SHAD USA). As my NC is silver, I'm considering buying the silver cover plate for whichever top case I choose. I like the SH58X best, but worry that it will look monstrous on the NC700. Has anyone tried one of these two cases on the NC (and have pictures)? Does anyone know if the silver will come close to matching Honda's silver?

While I really love the quality of SW-Motech racks (SW-MOTECH ALU-RACK to fit Many Top Case Styles for Honda NC700X '16-'17, NC750S '16-'17 & NC750X '16-'17 | TwistedThrottle.com), but I'm confused about whether the SHAD mounts (SHAD luggage fitting information for SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack topracks & Quick-Lock sideracks / Twists & Turns | TwistedThrottle.com) actually hook onto them, and I'm worried that SHAD side case mounts (P3 system SHAD 3P Fitment Kit Honda NC700) won't work with the SW-Motech. Later on I will add the SHAD SH36 side cases (http://www.shadonline.com/SHAD-SH36-SIDE-CASES-p/d0b3600.htm) for fully-loaded touring, and will almost certainly add an aftermarket seat (SHAD heated or Corbin heated, which seems roomier for the pillion). Also I may add hand guards and heated grips later on. I'm looking for this to be a replacement for my Burgman for long rides, with a bit more oomph than the Burgy had!

Thanks for all of your reviews and insights on the site. I'll contribute photos and reviews of my own as soon as I get my bike and begin adding mods.

Travel safely and keep the shiny side up.
Jason

Welcome to the forum, Jason. Hope you enjoy your new ride!

Welcome to the club.

I picked up the Givi 58 over the Winter break. I have not used it yet due to weather :_( I have attached a picture showing two helmets and the backrest.

P_20170311_094806.jpg P_20170311_094937.jpg

Welcome from an equally frigid NE Ohio!! I just ordered the Madstad 20" in medium grey, as well as the SW-Motech Alu-Rack and soft carrier plate. For my daily commute I use a Wolfman Ridgeline Plus duffel bag and after a year of carrying it N-S on the pillion seat I look forward to having it further back and out of the way. This will make swinging my leg over the bike easier as i won't have to also clear the bag, as well as making fuel-ups a little easier as I won't have to unstrap and move it. Thankfully due to the efficiency of the bike the latter is kind of infrequent anyway!! Someone just posted a link to the WebBikeWorld review of that expanding Shad case. It looks kind of cool and it will be good to see how it looks on your ride, as well as how you make out with fitment etc.

I got the OEM heated grips as one of the options when I bought the bike. I like the 5 settings and how it fits on the handlebars, as well as the fact that it integrates nicely with the dash display. That said if you read through the forums there are cheaper alternatives available too. I elected to go with the SW-Motech Kobra hand guards (with extensions) over the ever-popular BB brand. Purely for cosmetic purposes - I like the look of them better and the mounting metal bracket is already black! Again there are also other cheaper options available and this forum will provide a wealth of great information in that regard (and many others!)! I'll probably add the optional indicator lights to the hand guards during a future electrical upgrade project (additional front/rear lighting; horn upgrade). I also plan on adding a radiator guard shortly. I already have the fender extender on the front so that helps protect it some. I may add the SW-M engine guards and bash plate, but that probably won't happen until I know there's a likelihood of some gravel or other light off-roading in my future!!

Again, welcome from a fellow '16 DCT owner!

P.S., if you've already made a westward trip to Ohio then you may want to consider the MSTA event in August - the Mail Pouch Fly-By. I'm considering attending but it will depend on whether that weekend is the one where my eldest has to be dropped off at college or not!

Welcome from an equally frigid NE Ohio!! I just ordered the Madstad 20" in medium grey, as well as the SW-Motech Alu-Rack and soft carrier plate. For my daily commute I use a Wolfman Ridgeline Plus duffel bag and after a year of carrying it N-S on the pillion seat I look forward to having it further back and out of the way. This will make swinging my leg over the bike easier as i won't have to also clear the bag, as well as making fuel-ups a little easier as I won't have to unstrap and move it. Thankfully due to the efficiency of the bike the latter is kind of infrequent anyway!! Someone just posted a link to the WebBikeWorld review of that expanding Shad case. It looks kind of cool and it will be good to see how it looks on your ride, as well as how you make out with fitment etc.

I got the OEM heated grips as one of the options when I bought the bike. I like the 5 settings and how it fits on the handlebars, as well as the fact that it integrates nicely with the dash display. That said if you read through the forums there are cheaper alternatives available too. I elected to go with the SW-Motech Kobra hand guards (with extensions) over the ever-popular BB brand. Purely for cosmetic purposes - I like the look of them better and the mounting metal bracket is already black! Again there are also other cheaper options available and this forum will provide a wealth of great information in that regard (and many others!)! I'll probably add the optional indicator lights to the hand guards during a future electrical upgrade project (additional front/rear lighting; horn upgrade). I also plan on adding a radiator guard shortly. I already have the fender extender on the front so that helps protect it some. I may add the SW-M engine guards and bash plate, but that probably won't happen until I know there's a likelihood of some gravel or other light off-roading in my future!!

Again, welcome from a fellow '16 DCT owner!

P.S., if you've already made a westward trip to Ohio then you may want to consider the MSTA event in August - the Mail Pouch Fly-By. I'm considering attending but it will depend on whether that weekend is the one where my eldest has to be dropped off at college or not!

Thanks for all of the info. I will certainly consider the OEM heated grips - I thought I had read that they heat unevenly, and I know they cost more, but I'm a BIG fan of it integrating and looking OEM.

The SW-Motech rack is amazingly well built, but I want either a Givi or Shad trunk that looks good and stays put for long trips. I want do any off roaming, but the radiator guard and fender extender are good ideas for anyone hoping for long life from their ride.

I'll look into the gathering you mentioned! I hope to make the Americade rally this summer, also.

Thanks again for hr warm welcome and ideas. I may order those heated grips and install them first, along with the windshield so I can ride in the cooler weather.

Jason

We are having a gathering down by the Smoky mountains the weekend of May 19. Good times. Thread around here someplace.

Welcome from 12 degrees MA! I own the puig screen and found I needed to add the clip on visor to the top to get it quiet. I'm 6'1"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome! If you are ordering the SW Motech luggage you might want their mounts, too, which can be used for other luggage brands and are inconspicuous when the mounts are removed. I went with just a cheap top box mounted on the alu rack so far, as I am not taking long trips.

This has almost all my farkles in it:

https://youtu.be/wrgcIEAIkWs

Thanks again for all of the welcomes! I ordered the entire set of SHAD cases - the SH48 trunk, and the SH36 side cases, all with silver accents for my 2016 silver bike. They weren't cheap, but they look great as a set, and I like to travel with luggage. I'm leaning toward a 20" Madstad screen with the wings, as I'm totally spoiled with my Burgman's wind protection. I want that fine line of GREAT wind coverage but also decent looks.

Back