• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lithium Battery Swap-out

Sharing an update after approximately 6 months of using my Shorai lithium. Starts right up from the first and continues to today. Still registers 14.3v as measured on the dashboard function. And on those rare times I forget to switch to N before shutting the 2021 NC off the bike will still start right up. I can't say that I notice the reduced weight or can attribute any other objective changes but I'm glad I chose a lithium replacement.
When it registers 14.3 volts on the dashboard, is that with the engine off, on, or either?

Glad that your new L/ion is working out. Maybe someday I’ll pick one of those up too. Mines got the original’20 battery in it and presently working just fine.
Scott

When it registers 14.3 volts on the dashboard, is that with the engine off, on, or either?
I appreciate the question 670cc because I realize my previous posting was lacking and I added some other readings/considerations:
With the ignition to the "On" position, engine off it registers 13.3v.
With the ignition to the "On" position, engine on it registers 14.3v.
With engine on and Denali D3 lights "On", it registers 14.3v; with headlights "On" as well it registers 14.1v.
I've got to think further about my postings sometimes.

Glad that your new L/ion is working out. Maybe someday I’ll pick one of those up too. Mines got the original’20 battery in it and presently working just fine.
Scott
Thanks Scott. Let me ask you a question - do you put yours on a tender periodically? I did not until it was probably too late and the summer heat in Florida didn't help much.
I'm glad that you continue with the original.

I appreciate the question 670cc because I realize my previous posting was lacking and I added some other readings/considerations:
With the ignition to the "On" position, engine off it registers 13.3v.
With the ignition to the "On" position, engine on it registers 14.3v.
With engine on and Denali D3 lights "On", it registers 14.3v; with headlights "On" as well it registers 14.1v.
I've got to think further about my postings sometimes.
Thanks for adding additional details. With a healthy charging system and a light electrical load, one would expect 14+ volts with the engine running from any battery. 13 volts plus would also be expected of many lithium batteries at resting state. I’m glad to hear it is working well. Am considering a lithium battery for my boat due to the light weight. I’m hoping it will be compatible with the Rotax engine’s alternator and regulator.

Thanks Scott. Let me ask you a question - do you put yours on a tender periodically? I did not until it was probably too late and the summer heat in Florida didn't help much.
I'm glad that you continue with the original.
phoenix,
i also live in southwest florida from nov- mid may, and my battery on my 2021 nc purchased new, died in exactly two years. i kept it on the charger/tender for the period from mid-may through
november. in the months i was here, i would put it on the tender once every week to ten days until the tender registered full charge.
use the same procedures (months in reverse) on my bikes in rhode island and regular batteries usually last about 5 years.
i went with the noco lithium. we'll see how it performs.

phoenix,
i also live in southwest florida from nov- mid may, and my battery on my 2021 nc purchased new, died in exactly two years. i kept it on the charger/tender for the period from mid-may through
november. in the months i was here, i would put it on the tender once every week to ten days until the tender registered full charge.
use the same procedures (months in reverse) on my bikes in rhode island and regular batteries usually last about 5 years.
i went with the noco lithium. we'll see how it performs.
Gary,
As I remember the day my original battery died was in the summer, it was hotter than hot (NE Fl) and I probably put the nail in the coffin from the previous evening by turning off the NC without putting it in neutral, and using my Denali D3 driving lights. I was away from the house and had to call a tow truck to get the bike home (interesting experience having it put on a flatbed and traveling the interstate). When I was deciding on a replacement a number of forum members were kind enough to share their opinions and as I recall a large percentage had Noco lithiums and seemed to be happy with their purchase. Good Luck with yours.

Norm

Back