• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lithium Battery Swap-out

AVG1940

Reaction score
Visit site
Was kinda skeptical about the price...sounded a bit too good to be true. But a lithium battery for under $90?

I pulled the trigger a few days ago (flea-bay), and it was shipped immediately. Should get it by tomorrow at the latest.
I will post pics of the fit and impressions on quality. Aside from the low price, it takes a few pounds out of a high CG point. Win-win.

Mean time, here is a pic of the item.
s-l140.jpg

Well,
This IS quite interesting for sure. We just purchased a '20 NC750X DCT with 2,100 miles on it not quite a month ago. And while it seems to start somewhat easy, I'm pretty sure that the battery in it is the factory one. This is now 4/23 and I'm not sure when this bike was originally put into service. So, at this time, the battery in it could be anywhere from 2+ to 3+ years old. I looked up the factory battery and yours is one heck of a lot cheaper than the factory one. So, we'll see in the coming months if I may need a new one. I'll keep this in the memory banks if and when I do. Thanks for that.
Scott

That sounds good, especially at that price. Let us know how the lithium battery works.

I get 8 years out of motorcycle batteries, so it will probably be 5 years before I need an NC replacement. If price and performance are good, I may go lithium. I just installed a large deep cycle LiFePO4 battery in my camper, so I’ll gain experience in how they work.

Last edited:
I bought my '18 spank'n new in April '21. The battery was weak then. Finally crapped the bed this last month.

Figured at $84, and a great dealer's rating from fleabay, risk was low for this lithium batt. We'll see.

I like lithium batteries. I have just the one and I swap it between my three bikes. Works in all of them so far (just not at the same time ).

Was kinda skeptical about the price...sounded a bit too good to be true. But a lithium battery for under $90?

I pulled the trigger a few days ago (flea-bay), and it was shipped immediately. Should get it by tomorrow at the latest.
I will post pics of the fit and impressions on quality. Aside from the low price, it takes a few pounds out of a high CG point. Win-win.

View attachment 51789
Im very skeptical of the price. Do you have the ebay link?

Im very skeptical of the price. Do you have the ebay link?
I went to eBay and searched “mighty max ytz14s lithium” and that same battery showed up for about $85.

Last edited:
What are you trying to say? Those batteries you linked both contain lead. Yes, lead acid and gel batteries are an option and there are plenty to choose from, but then I gathered that the point of this thread was that the OP chose lithium. Did you include the word lithium in your eBay search?

9F673977-45F5-4745-939D-059E12C7D448.jpeg23EB9EA1-3301-4E56-B9C9-B1726B804834.jpeg

What are you trying to say? Those batteries you linked both contain lead. Yes, lead acid and gel batteries are an option and there are plenty to choose from, but then I gathered that the point of this thread was that the OP chose lithium. Did you include the word lithium in your eBay search?

View attachment 51804View attachment 51805

You are right. Didnt look at them closely, my bad.
Shapes and colors.
:oops::oops:

View attachment 51789
OK, so batt came today. Nicely packed and looks like a quality product. As for fit, it is very slightly slimmer (1/4?) than the stock battery, so no issue. As for power, my NC never fired up so fast. I chose the supplier based on being in the U.S. and a 2-3 day delivery time. Didn't hurt that the supplier was well known and had a high seller rating with Fleabay. If Slamazon is selling the same batt for $40, I wouldn't hesitate if from a US supplier. Mine was shipped the day I ordered it.
View attachment 51812View attachment 51813View attachment 51814

OK, so batt came today. Nicely packed and looks like a quality product. As for fit, it is very slightly slimmer (1/4?) than the stock battery, so no issue. As for power, my NC never fired up so fast. I chose the supplier based on being in the U.S. and a 2-3 day delivery time. Didn't hurt that the supplier was well known and had a high seller rating with Fleabay. If Slamazon is selling the same batt for $40, I wouldn't hesitate if from a US supplier. Mine was shipped the day I ordered it.
View attachment 51812View attachment 51813View attachment 51814

What's the weight? My JMT LiFePO4 YTX14 equivalent battery weighs 969g. The OE YTZ14 Pb-Acid weighs 3897g.
Dunno. But, the whole shipment, all the packaging AND the batt came in at 2.9lbs. So my WAG is somewhere around 2.5lbs tops...perhaps a little less.

Keep us posted!
I'm also considering switching to a lithium battery. Did the foam pads it came with seem sturdy/reliable to fill in the 1/4" gap? or any thoughts on the install/size?

My original battery from 2012 still kicks over, but starting to feel a bit weak. It probably deserves an $85 upgrade to this decade

Keep us posted!
I'm also considering switching to a lithium battery. Did the foam pads it came with seem sturdy/reliable to fill in the 1/4" gap? or any thoughts on the install/size?

My original battery from 2012 still kicks over, but starting to feel a bit weak. It probably deserves an $85 upgrade to this decade
Didn't need any pads. Gotta remember it weighs less than half the original battery, so the rubber battery retaining strap easily holds it fast.

The starting is "RIGHT NOW" as in immediately upon touching the start button. Pretty impressed.

This is a lithium (iron) phosphate type vs the more expensive lithium ion.
It is light like the ion but from some research has a little less CCA but much better than the much heavier lead units.
IMO, it is a very good value. It recommends a lithium charger, however. I'm swapping out this to the NC in lieu of the junk heavy Yuasa.

I had the complete lithium ion/charger package on a 2010 ST800ST, same year. I call these electronic batteries and require precise charging inputs, explaining a dedicated charger.
Lead acid chargers shoot voltage pulses to break up the sediment build-up on the plates in the recharge process. Lithium batteries don't like this with possible transistor burn out.

Last edited:
You have to remember these batteries charge on the bike so whatever the regulator/rectifier puts out charges them OK. I have been using a LiFePO4 battery for about 4 years in about 6 different bikes and it still works perfectly. It's only a YTX14 equivalent but it has been in two VF500s, a CBR1100XX Blackbird, a VFR1200, a GSXR1000AL6 and a NC750S. Worked in all of them perfectly.

Agree. Battery life is dependent on the accuracy of the vehicle regulator and bench chargers. When the ST8 ion dropped below 12V the ion was progressively more difficult to reboot, until it quit completely.
For $50 they sent me a new battery. Even with a lithium charger, I suspect the bike regulator was overcharging the ion.

My SXS500 caries a junk (new) 16 sized battery. I may swap it out for the 14. It has a winch and does works the battery significantly.
Automobile manufacturers still put heavy lead acid batteries in their 40 Amp lithium ion systems. Charging accuracy a concern?

Last edited:
Well, pretty happy with the purchase. If it suddenly craps the bed, i'll post that too. Not worried.

Back