• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Leg Aprons?

amwoolner

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
So it's winter, and for folks in the NW (me, Portland), that means not just cold, but also very wet. So I've been researching and theorizing in the best ways to stay warm and dry on the bike. Obviously there are a plethora of options for rain gear, and most of it is pretty pricey.

I've come across motorcycle aprons. Look up the brand Tucano Urbano to get an idea if you haven't heard if them or seen them. They look like they might be pretty nifty but I've never seen them in person and haven't seen many reviews. Also I don't know if I could get one that's made to fit the NC700. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using these motorcycle aprons and could share their experience and opinion/ review?

I thought the aprons were just for scooters? Other than that Tucano Urbano are a good Italian make and those who have used their scooter aprons that I have talked to give the product a lot of praise

How about a good rain suite and some heated gear. I use tourmaster synergy gloves jacket pants & some one else's socks. The bike will run them all with no problem. I installed one of those led light things that tell you the condition of your battery and if I get caught in traffic and the led goes red, I just power off the gear. The gloves are not water proof, but will keep your hands warm when wet. I installed a Powerlet plug just below the driver's seat. Just make sure your connector cable is long enough so you can stand up on the pegs. I do not like aprons and such for safety reasons.

Tucano Urbano,,In my opinion is no good for motorcycles,,,or to put it more bluntly "its an accident waiting to happen".....Take a look at these BMW leg sheilds,,I think thats what you want... Hienrich leg fairings, good luck!!

After Googling to see what the heck it was, it appears to me it's something the (scooter) wears, and not the rider...

I could easily be all wrong, but I can't see it working very well in a motorcycle application, because of all the nooks and crannies and uneven surfaces on a bike up front, versus a scooter with smooth all encompassing bodywork and no engine up there. Also, on a scooter, your legs sit facing forward and pretty much inside the bodywork, not astraddle and in our case, further back.

I think a good quality set of rain pants/gear is a better choice. If you had one of those Apron thingies, would that mean you would want to wear less protective or water resistant clothing? Unless you duct tape the apron to your waist, (or however it works) isn't your butt is still going to get wet from the seat and water running down your jacket, your hands, arms, and shoulders, which means youare still going to need to have a good waterproof set of gear.

If this thing is meant to cover you up to your neck and go back and cover the seat too, well...I'm not sure what to say really. I would be uber claustrophobic myself, and then there is the (in my eyes) whole horrific fashion crime thing going on...:eek:

Stuff like this always makes me think that they are something a car driver invents to distance themselves, and remove as much of the: "having to ride an icky motorbike" from the equation as possible.

Hey, it may be the best thing since sliced bread, but just not for me. ;)

I wear electric heated pants, jacket, gloves. So, the biggest problem I have is what temperature I want the thermostat at. Like setting the thermostat in your auto.4.jpg

smileycold.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen them all over Paris. They are best with a scooter that has a sealed front for the passenger cabin. Not very practical on a motorcycle. That doesn't mean that you can't jury rig something to cover your legs, but not sure how effective it would be vs. regular heated clothing.

So if you look at the Tucano Urbano website page I've linked below you can see the model they have that works with motorcycles... just not sure about it being compatible with the NC700. From what I've read, it makes it significantly warmer as it cuts the wind. They call the model the Gaucho and they show pictures of a few different style bikes. Europe seems to have more variety of motorcycling products given the higher percentage of riders (especially year round riders)... but maybe I've got that wrong.

Gaucho

get a pair of these and some water proofs;)

hanging_longjohns.jpg

So if you look at the Tucano Urbano website page I've linked below you can see the model they have that works with motorcycles... just not sure about it being compatible with the NC700. From what I've read, it makes it significantly warmer as it cuts the wind. They call the model the Gaucho and they show pictures of a few different style bikes. Europe seems to have more variety of motorcycling products given the higher percentage of riders (especially year round riders)... but maybe I've got that wrong.

Gaucho

I guess...

I think it's just one of those things I "don't get" I'm afraid. ;)

To each their own though, eh? :)

I have a hard enough time kicking my short legs over the seat with panniers and trunk installed. That thing would be a sure bet I'd end up on the ground.

I saw a GS rider do this mounting trick so I tried it. While the bike is on the side stand place left foot on peg stand up and swing right leg over. Sit down and put stand up.

Gigs

I saw a GS rider do this mounting trick so I tried it. While the bike is on the side stand place left foot on peg stand up and swing right leg over. Sit down and put stand up.

Gigs

X-man taught me that trick on a ride this summer. I have started using it because winter gear makes the leg swing harder.

Gigs

I saw a guy do that same thing... I've been a bit hesitant to try it out of fear that it might tip the bike. Is that a realistic caution or am I totally imaging the impossible happening?

Also, the more I look, the more it seems that they are used pretty frequently in Europe. Hmmmm....

It's a small risk but just keep both hands on the grips and you'll be fine. It's really the only way to mount with winter gear.

Gigs

A tip over definitely can happen doing that, so caution is always a good thing. Usually it would be a relatively rare possiblity, like if your bike was heavily loaded up with gear making it a bit more top heavy, or if you were a pretty husky guy who wasn't paying close attention, or the ground was sloped/or soft.

Last camping trip I had most of those factors against me when I stopped at a scenic photo opp. Geared up 250-ish+ lb rider, soft gravel with a slope, and large luggage load. It was nearly an: "Auuugh!" trying to get back on board via the peg step up method.

I've done that "stand on the peg and swing a leg over" trick too. It really does help when you're wearing bulky gear.

However, I do think that when I do that I'm asking a lot from that one (relatively) little bolt holding the sidestand on...

Back