• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

LED turn signal with brake light

frozenpoet

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a set of universal turn signals that also have red LEDs. What says you on wiring them up to the brake lights or the running lights? To the best of my knowledge I can't do both. (Three wire setup)

I bet you could find a dim/bright controller to make them work as both running and brake lights if you wanted to spend the money. My vote would be to use them as brake lights.
Either way, you should do a test to see how the turn signal visibility is effected when the red light is on.

JT

I bet you could find a dim/bright controller to make them work as both running and brake lights if you wanted to spend the money. My vote would be to use them as brake lights.
Either way, you should do a test to see how the turn signal visibility is effected when the red light is on.

JT

I was testing them in a 9 volt battery, power to the brake wire, red lights, put the turn signal wire on the battery at the same time, the red lights go off and the turn signal flashes. (Waterfall turn signal).

Some sort of controller would be a bit much for this, the lights were only $15. For all 4.

Are tail light bulbs on these bikes known for going out?

I'd probably prefer extra normal visibility: attach it as running light, and then add another set of lights as brake lights.

If the turn signals have two brightness levels, which I assume they do because they have three wires, you can wire them as running lights, brake lights, turn signals, or whatever. In some cases diodes would be needed to isolate signals. For example if you tie the turn signal to the brake light circuit you need to isolate it with a diode so the turn signal does not also light the center brake lamp. The most important information still needed is, what do you want them to do or how do you want them to behave? Front, back, both, running, turn, tail, brake? I assume you're are wanting them on the rear only, since they are red. You'll also want to have a wiring schematic of your exact model bike to know how it's all wired in stock form. Schematics can vary according to model year.

Last edited:
They are two signals for the front, white running lights, Amber turn signals.

Two indicators for the rear, Amber for the turn, red for whatever I tap into... I can tap into the running light wires or the brake light wires.

My debate is to either tap into the brake lights, which wouldn't add any extra visibility unless breaking.

Or, tap into the running lights for the extra visibility and risk someone missing the actual brake light.

They are two signals for the front, white running lights, Amber turn signals.

Two indicators for the rear, Amber for the turn, red for whatever I tap into... I can tap into the running light wires or the brake light wires.

My debate is to either tap into the brake lights, which wouldn't add any extra visibility unless breaking.

Or, tap into the running lights for the extra visibility and risk someone missing the actual brake light.

I'm not sure it's an "or." I'm assuming these lights have two brightness levels, what with the three wires. Brake lights, along with turn signals, generally run in the bright mode, and running lights run in the dim mode. Seems you could do both, or all three.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's an "or." I'm ssuming these lights have two brightness levels, what with the three wires. Brake lights, along with turn signals, generally run in the bright mode, and running lights run in the dim mode. Seems you could do both, or all three.

I'll investigate more when I pull everything apart.

I'm not sure it's an "or." I'm assuming these lights have two brightness levels, what with the three wires. Brake lights, along with turn signals, generally run in the bright mode, and running lights run in the dim mode. Seems you could do both, or all three.
It's a 3 wire light so there's most likely only one brightness level for the red.

There's red, amber, ground.

It might be possible to run amber full time and have them flash off with turn signal (can be done with relays) but given the waterfall turn signal setup probably not.

Back