• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

LBS Fuel Cell V1.5

Wow, that story sure took an unexpected turn! Sorry to hear about your back and your bike. I'm sure you'll get better/figure it out. Live and learn, no pain, no gain, etc.

Unexpected turns always happen so....unexpectedly. Maybe a Chiropractor could help your back (and vacation)? I've had good results with our Chiro's down here.

Glad you're not more hurt than than you are.

Oh my but good to find the vent hose wasn't up to the task at home and not on the road testing the 5+ gallon capacity. That's exactly why I didn't ride my NC700 with my plastic jerry can fuel cell on the cross continent ride last week.

Thanks for the kind (if undeserved) sympathies, gents :eek:

It's all good. "1st World Problem". Thankfully nothing major to worry about really; I am going to try and hunt down some appropriate 1/8th fuel line before the weekend. Not that I am glad this happened, but for sure yes better here, now, than after I'm all packed up and ready to go at 6AM, or in the middle of a high traffic bridge deck or something lol.

Karma/hubris/fate/ :smug mode: (A Red Dwarf ref. if anyone is so inclined, heh heh) it doesn't take much to slap you upside the noggin just when you think you're a right clever monkey...:rolleyes:

I'm less happy with the potentially fubared ABS sensor, but c'est la vie. I keep thinking if this were OldCanRide, he wouldn't bat an eye before up and riding to St. John's Newfoundland for breakfast, lol.

My back is...well let's just say there's no helping it barring major surgery that I'm too skeered to go through. I go day by day but it's permanently knackered. It doesn't take much to provoke it, then I'm just in more pain for awhile, that's all. Another crate of Advil and I'll be limping along like usual. ;)

Wow, sorry to hear this happened, but damn glad it was a cheap "lesson learned" with no huge damage. Good Luck!

"I keep thinking if this were OldCanRide, he wouldn't bat an eye before up and riding to St. John's Newfoundland for breakfast, lol."

I don't eat breakfast, consumes too much riding time!

My back is...well let's just say there's no helping it barring major surgery that I'm too skeered to go through. I go day by day but it's permanently knackered. It doesn't take much to provoke it, then I'm just in more pain for awhile, that's all. Another crate of Advil and I'll be limping along like usual. ;)

From this fall? Or, was already messed up? That's bad news, on the other hand my "X" had a bulging disk. After two years of living in pain (all the while doing exercises given by the PT) she had a micro-diskectomy. In by 9 out by 5. I'm talking, she walked to car that evening. Hopefully your back is not worse than hers was.

From this fall? Or, was already messed up? That's bad news, on the other hand my "X" had a bulging disk. After two years of living in pain (all the while doing exercises given by the PT) she had a micro-diskectomy. In by 9 out by 5. I'm talking, she walked to car that evening. Hopefully your back is not worse than hers was.

Alas, already messed up for a few decades now. Wonky discs, nerve damage, genetic predisposition to a bad back in the first place (thanks Mom and Dad! lol) etc., but a hard work life in construction/renovation, falling down an elevator shaft, getting run over by cars, and crashing motorcycles doing silly things, mostly. The cause and effect of younger lifestyle eventually catching up to my declining years.

Wow! You got me beat. I never fell down an elevator shaft. I've totaled two cars and a motorcycle (my NC). Had my porch blown down on top of me in a straight line storm - that was probably the worst thing.
It doesn't matter how it happens, it all adds up to pain in later life.
Pain makes you weak because you -naturally- won't do things that pain you. That limits the things you do. That makes you weak.
I feel for you with your back. At least mine is still good unless you count the 4 & 5 "C's". They make it hard to look over the shoulder to the right.

So V1.5 has some bugs. On to V1.6 or is it going clear to V2.0?

mad.gif

The accursed thing has triumphed over me this time. I have to retreat, nurse my wounds, and start afresh at a later date.

Managed to finally get a proper 1/8" fuel line, and everything was cool, but what I had hoped for in the department of: "please, please fit, you wretched SOB" just wasn't to be, lol. laughing.gif

I gave in and shuffled that final step towards fully fledged old guy, and bought a Top Box. I made an experiment with that soft sided beer/beverage cooler that was for all intent and purpose a top box, seen in some of my earlier pictures. Didn't like the looks of it, but grudgingly had to admit even that little thing was handy as all get out.

Didn't like the looks of the giant bubble-spheres that the more wallet friendly plastic top boxes are, but the metal ones and the more aesthetically easy to swallow sharper edged/trapezoidal ones, were just too painfully $$$$$$ for me to stomach.

So. I lucked upon a screamingly good deal on eBay for a Trax 38l top box, which would at least match my panniers, and figured meh, I'm willing to do it now, so be it.

Which brings me to the crybaby2.gif part. Close, but no cigar. I will have to re engineer the plate that the top box adapter bolts to, and extend it backwards a couple of inches to clear the fuel cell when lifted up, darn it. frown.gif

Trax Top Box Fuel Cell 001.jpg

Trax Top Box Fuel Cell close up 001.jpg

Trax Top Box Fuel Cell close up 002.jpg

Even my "third world" top box (a large milk crate) is very useful! I haven't the funds for a top box.
I don't care what others think (yes, an indication of the "Old Guy"). So, I put on the milk crate and go shopping or carry my dog 30 miles to the lake.

Good score on the Trax!

Look at it this way,if the fuel cell thing doesn't work out you have a big top box that should hold a gallon or more gas can.

I had severe back problems in my 30's, there was 1.5 years where I could not stand strait or sit strait up. After 2 doc's recommended surgery, the 3'd doc said that any exercise where legs do scissor movement ( swimming, walking, etc. ) would strengthen my back. Since then I walk at least 1 mile every day. My back is as good now at 67 as in my 20's.

I'd love having the extra gas, just so I would only need to gas up once a week. Personally I wish that the bike didn't have that Helmet trunk in place of extra gas space.

Personally I wish that the bike didn't have that Helmet trunk in place of extra gas space.

You would eliminate the frunk? That is downright sacrilegious! On a serious note that would raise the COG and change one of the best things about the NC. I would rather stop at the gas station a little more often than carry extra weight high up on the bike.

Adding fuel capacity to the OEM tank in place of the trunk would have negligible impact on COG compared to carrying it on top of the million seat. And, as told to Travel Bug Blues when she was concerned about the giant tank on the DR650 she was considering, ya don't have to fill it full, AND, it gets lighter as ya roll.

Another plus, move the filler to the trunk, similar to the ST1100. I'm considering buying a stock tank from a wreck and having it expanded. Should easily add a couple gallons. Or trade for a CB500X with Rally Raid conversion.

Back