• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lane Splitting / filtering

I would be opposed to it in my state.

No one would argue that CA has too many vehicles on inappropriately designed highways. Lane splitting won't solve that problem, it only makes a difference for a selected few. Since I don't live there I have no vote in the matter. In my state many drivers practice "offensive" driving. They will speed up or slow down to prevent merging, They will match your speed to prevent you from passing another vehicle, they will slow down in front of you to limit your speed, and that's just the cage to cage actions. I had someone the other day reach their hand out the window to try and grab me or at least scare me. It did. I agree with Strick about people resenting an unfair advantage. Here they would not only resent it, they would block you to prevent it.

Very true. I have had many of the same experiences. You are probably right in my
neighborhood as I am central PA too.

I would be 100% for this being legal everywhere. It just doesn't make sense that you can't. Where I live, I can often do it with little hostility from others. Its fairly common when NYC/Long Island Highways slow to a crawl. Yep, we too have 10+ miles of slow moving (bumper to bumper) traffic. If we only had the green light from the state, everything would be that much better!

I would be 100% for this being legal everywhere. It just doesn't make sense that you can't. Where I live, I can often do it with little hostility from others. Its fairly common when NYC/Long Island Highways slow to a crawl. Yep, we too have 10+ miles of slow moving (bumper to bumper) traffic. If we only had the green light from the state, everything would be that much better!

Doing it legally vs doing it illegally changes your joy of riding..... as you never know when the cops would be having a bad day and slap you will a fine. illegally often post a danger as a % of your mind is worrying about the ticket that might come at you. instead 100% of your mind in the control of the cycle.

Last edited:
I would be opposed to it in my state.

No one would argue that CA has too many vehicles on inappropriately designed highways. Lane splitting won't solve that problem, it only makes a difference for a selected few. Since I don't live there I have no vote in the matter. In my state many drivers practice "offensive" driving. They will speed up or slow down to prevent merging, They will match your speed to prevent you from passing another vehicle, they will slow down in front of you to limit your speed, and that's just the cage to cage actions. I had someone the other day reach their hand out the window to try and grab me or at least scare me. It did. I agree with Strick about people resenting an unfair advantage. Here they would not only resent it, they would block you to prevent it.

I'm assuming you meant to say you personally would be opposed to doing it in your state? If not, why would you deny other riders that option?

Here in the Seattle/Tacoma metro area of WA, we also have our share of idiot drivers and long freeway backups. It sure would be nice to have the option to lane split if conditions warrant it. Note I said "option" because no one is suggesting that it be required for anyone to do something outside their comfort zone. For me, there's been plenty of times that the ability to legally lane split would have been the safest thing to do because I could get away from some idiot driver. I always keep that option in my tool bag for emergency situations (such as waiting at a light and seeing a car come flying at me from behind that has no intention of stopping), but I'd rather be proactive and be able to legally avoid that situation in the first place and filter to the front of the line.

BTW, here in WA we have a lot of car ferries to go to islands and motorcycles get to bypass all the cars waiting in line and go to the front for priority boarding! No one seems to mind this, so it actually bodes well for allowing lane splitting in WA.

I'm assuming you meant to say you personally would be opposed to doing it in your state? If not, why would you deny other riders that option?

No, I did not mean that. When I am in a cage I do not want anything coming between me and the cage next to me. As for the "emergency" situation you mentioned, if I see that happening behind me I am going to find a hole in front of me and move into it, legal or not.

All the reasons that have been stated for wanting to filter are legitimate. I just don't believe filtering is the answer.

No, I did not mean that. When I am in a cage I do not want anything coming between me and the cage next to me. As for the "emergency" situation you mentioned, if I see that happening behind me I am going to find a hole in front of me and move into it, legal or not.

All the reasons that have been stated for wanting to filter are legitimate. I just don't believe filtering is the answer.

Study show that filtering is safer and helps with traffic. if cagers learns to share the lane and aware of surrounding filtering can be very effective according to studies. i pay attention to my mirror and see if a cycle is coming so i can give him room to pass and when i ride cagers do so too. the culture has changes a bit here in CA as splitting in a norm. as even our highway patrol split lanes.

as population grows, more cars will be on the road. traffic would be worst every year. what do you believe is the answer? ever been to Europe? where building new road is not possible? what kind of vehicle do you think would help or solve traffic ? public transportation? would you take the bus? subway? have you driven in downtown NY? United states Big cities will eventually face this bad traffic that is over the world.
maybe flying cars?

Study show that filtering is safer and helps with traffic. if cagers learns to share the lane and aware of surrounding filtering can be very effective according to studies. i pay attention to my mirror and see if a cycle is coming so i can give him room to pass and when i ride cagers do so too. the culture has changes a bit here in CA as splitting in a norm. as even our highway patrol split lanes.

as population grows, more cars will be on the road. traffic would be worst every year. what do you believe is the answer? ever been to Europe? where building new road is not possible? what kind of vehicle do you think would help or solve traffic ? public transportation? would you take the bus? subway? have you driven in downtown NY? United states Big cities will eventually face this bad traffic that is over the world.
maybe flying cars?

I'm not sure where you are headed with this line of questioning but there are many answers to the problem. I don't have them all but you mentioned several.

In this country traffic laws are governed by the individual states. CA does not have the same problems as PA. PA has its own set of problems. I think you will see a change in road design. Several states are working on just that issue. Parts of my state are very congested and have robust public transportation systems.

I lived in a city for many years and yes, I've taken the bus, subway, elevated, trolley, commuter train and bicycle and driven an emergency vehicle in downtown traffic. Flying cars? Maybe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8b0oR0-Pgo

Doing it legally vs doing it illegally changes your joy of riding..... as you never know when the cops would be having a bad day and slap you will a fine. illegally often post a danger as a % of your mind is worrying about the ticket that might come at you. instead 100% of your might in the control of the cycle.

So true! Looking to move to the Bay Area in the next year or so. Super excited to have that burden off my shoulders when I do.

over the years, I have noticed more and more motorcycles on the roads.
Maybe because people are getting tired of traffic? gas costing so much ?
More of those motorcycles lane split and is the norm here (sf bay area),
however I do voice concern about the speed on which some of the motorcyclist
pass the cars during a lane split.

over the years, I have noticed more and more motorcycles on the roads.
Maybe because people are getting tired of traffic? gas costing so much ?
More of those motorcycles lane split and is the norm here (sf bay area),
however I do voice concern about the speed on which some of the motorcyclist
pass the cars during a lane split.

Yes same here in So Cal, i was pretty sad when the California Highway patrol took the guideline off the website. many of these motorcyclist think they are indestructible or something.... even though is allow in Cali, i do not agree with the speed and way that many do it. please do so with caution

Last edited:
I definitely wish we could lane split in the Dallas area. Traffic is bad, as it the heat in the summer. The combination keeps me from commuting on my bike during July and August.

Yes same here in So Cal, i was pretty sad when the California Highway patrol took the guideline off the website. many of these motorcyclist think they are indestructible or something.... even though is allow in Cali, i do not agree with the speed and way that many do it. please do so with caution

The removal of the guideline at the California Highway Patrol web site is mentioned at the California Department of Motor Vehicle site -- Lane splitting general guidelines

Lane sharing is still specifically mentioned in the California Department of Motor Vehicle's Motorcycle Handbook, publication DL 665, dated April 2014, and available here: http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf

Also to mention... the guidelines were NOT removed because CHP or DMV changed their position on lane splitting. They were removed because ONE person complained that they could be interpreted as "law" and they had not gone though the proper procedure to be law as it's not up to CHP to make laws. It's a procedural and interpretive matter that got them pulled rather than allow them to educate almost half the driving population that doesn't realize it's actually legal. In doing so, this one individual made it possibly more dangerous for those of us on 2 wheels.

That said, most people would not have noticed them anyway if not for all the press generated by them getting pulled down... so who knows at this point if it was a positive or negative thing.

thanks racenut for the video.
going 5 to 10 max mph faster than the cars is ok.
Not zooming along at light speed in between cars.

IMO, those this is definitely a case of a few making it bad for the rest of us.

Flying between lanes startles and scares drivers. This makes them hate us.
Flying between lanes increases your chances of an accident. When you run into their car, this makes them hate us.
Loud pipes don't save lives, they scare the crap out of other motorists and makes them hate us.

Don't make them hate us, and we'll all be better off.

thanks racenut for the video.
going 5 to 10 max mph faster than the cars is ok.
Not zooming along at light speed in between cars.

I will lane split when the flow of traffic is moving at less than 40 MPH, thereafter I rejoin the flow. If I am riding a bike equipped with "Hazard Lights", I turn them on and ride. It helps get attention of other drivers and the drivers behind you usually will stay a safe distance behind you. Also I blow the horn and modulate it several times to get the attention of other drivers that I feel that are not paying attention. Most of these drivers will move over and let me past or the driver in the adjacent lane will usual make room for me.

I really hate it when another rider is trying to "Push" me to go faster. Some case I simply ignore them and their request to pass me. Most of these cases is when traffic is stopped or moving at a snails pace and I do not have a safe place to move over to allow the other rider to pass me.

Back