• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lane Splitting / filtering

AZ has tried to legalize lane splitting/sharing/filtering a couple of times in the recent past, but it's never gotten over the final hurdle. Would I do it? Yes. I'd filter forward when traffic is at a stop, whether at a light (I _rarely_ ride surface streets in the city) or on the freeway during rush hour.

Compared to CA traffic, AZ traffic is very light. We have the HOV/Car Pool lane that also allows motorcycles. Since I always get to ride in that lane, lane splitting is a moot point. I do filter to the front of the line of cars when I come across a freeway on-ramp...Sometimes there can be 30 cars waiting at the alternating red/green metering lights. Illegal? Yes, but I don't really care; the cars aren't moving more than 2 mph. There have been a few occasions where an accident has forced the freeway into parking lot mode, and then I will just use the shoulder, going about 10 mpg.

Is clear that lane splitting helps

study shows that is safer for the rider

so why does 49 States in the us does not allow it? too many old school people thinking that is dangerous? not enough of our voices to our government to make a change?

I think is because most of us in the US only ride for recreational purpose? unlike many places in the world were Riding a bike to work is a way of life?

I ride to replace my car. this help traffic, i know many of you just ride for the joy of riding. if you go out on a ride just for the heck of going out this might not help with traffic. as you are adding one more vehicle to road that would not be there of you did not own a bike. but splitting would still help. many "make up a destination" just so you can ride your bike, and splitting would still help....

so again why havent YOU told your representative? dont care? dont mind? .... based on the response above. i see that many dont needed cause they are retired and dont need to go to work. dont need to sit in traffic.

Last edited:
Is clear that lane splitting helps

study shows that is safer for the rider

so why does 49 States in the us does not allow it? too many old school people thinking that is dangerous? not enough of our voices to our government to make a change?

I think is because most of us in the US only ride for recreational purpose? unlike many places in the world were Riding a bike to work is a way of life?

I ride to replace my car. this help traffic, i know many of you just ride for the joy of riding. if you go out on a ride just for the head of going out this might not help with traffic. as you are adding one more vehicle to road that would not be there of you did not own a bike. but splitting would still help. many "make up a destination" just so you can ride your bike, and splitting would still help....

so again why havent YOU told your representative? dont care? dont mind? .... based on the response above. i see that many dont needed cause they are retired and dont need to go to work. dont need to sit in traffic.

If you want, we can add a poll to the thread to help get some feedback. Something like:

If your state doesn't allow lane splitting, have you asked your state representative to work towards making it legal?

A) Yes! I want lane splitting here and now, and have taken action!
B) No, but now that you mention it, it would be nice. I will write my representative.
C) I have seen little use for lane splitting here, but if I could I suppose I would do it.
D) Where I live the traffic is light. Lane splitting is never possible or needed.
E) I would like to but the drivers here would shoot at me.
F) No way, no how! It sounds too dangerous.
G) Who cares if it's illegal? I do it anyway.
H) What is lane splitting?

Anyway, it seems many people that need/want lane splitting already have it. It's legal for you so why are you worried about other states? Is it for when you travel?

As I said before, I have no use for it here. Even if I commuted to work everyday, I would have absolutely no opportunity to lane split. The traffic on the Interstate moves at 70 mph all day long. But I wouldn't ride the Interstate anyway because the back roads are more fun. The only place nearby that has traffic problems would be Chicago (150 miles away) and I have no reason or desire to go there, especially on a motorcycle. Indianapolis is 120 miles away, but I've never seen the traffic stop while I passed through. So again, I have no use for it here, or in my travels.

My job requires that I drive a van from home to the job location, which varies every day. Commuting on the bike is not an option. All my riding is strictly for pleasure.

Off topic a bit, but if I were writing my congressman about motorcycling, it would be regarding health insurance discrimination against motorcyclists, about not banning motorcycles from public areas, and about banning motorcycle-only checkpoints.

Let me know if you want a poll added to the thread. You may be able to do it as the originator of the thread, if not I can add it with moderator super powers.

Last edited:
The only time I would attempt lane splitting if it was legal would be on the interstate if needed; however, on most of our interstates here is Louisville, the traffic is moving at 65-75mph and I would not lane split at those speeds. During our rush hour, the traffic stills move unless there is an accident, and heck no, I wouldn't split in those conditions. We do have major construction in downtown due to building new bridges over the Ohio River and the traffic backs up, but they have narrowed the lanes to the point I don't think the nc700 could split without side swiping someone and even with the backup, it only adds about 10 minutes to my commute. Trying to lane split around here on the side roads would be asking for disaster-we just have too many drivers who switch lanes without looking, cut other drivers off without looking, running stop signs and stop lights-I'd rather be hot and alive than cold and dead trying to lane split. Road rage also has been up this year, with drivers being shot at and killed because someone cutting someone else off-just not worth it.

The only time I would attempt lane splitting if it was legal would be on the interstate if needed;

It's legal in the entire state of California. However there are some "DUMB-A$$ES" on the road that might have the laws changed in the years to come. A lot of the "D-As" cause accidents on freeways and do not follow the "Good Sense Rule" that all riders must abide by when "Lane Splitting".

My rule is not to exceed the speed of the slow moving traffic by 10-15 MPH. Once traffic is moving at 50 MPH, take a normal lane position in the flow of traffic. I ride with my "4-ways/Harzard Lights" on while Lane Spitting. It draws attention to you from all the "Cage Drivers" on the road. Most people will move over to allow you to pass, however some will not. Do not/never lane split between two simi-trucks, unless you want to die.

I found a Bill in the California Senate that was trying to make "Lane Splitting" in California "LEGAL".

Please all Cali-Riders read this, Anti-Lane Splitting Law Dies In California Senate. "GOOD NEWS" is the Bill is "DEAD" at this this time.

Be prepared the "WORST" and hope for the "BEST" for the future, if the CA Senate pursues this any further.

We have the HOV/Car Pool lane that also allows motorcycles. Since I always get to ride in that lane, lane splitting is a moot point. I do filter to the front of the line of cars when I come across a freeway on-ramp...Sometimes there can be 30 cars waiting at the alternating red/green metering lights. Illegal? Yes, but I don't really care; the cars aren't moving more than 2 mph. There have been a few occasions where an accident has forced the freeway into parking lot mode, and then I will just use the shoulder, going about 10 mpg.

During my commute, the HOV lane rarely moves appreciably faster than the rest of I-10. I use it, but the advantage generally turns out to be simply that I have traffic on only 1 side of me instead of both. Nevertheless, you've described exactly what I was talking about in terms of when I would filter/split/share-- when traffic is at a stop at a light or a jam-up.

Like ThumperX, you just got to lane split here in the san francisco bay area.
If you don't, you might get hit from the back or get boiling HOT by the sun.

I commute and pleasure ride.
Everyday I have to deal with the nasty traffic on the bridge.
And everyday I have to lane split to get through this traffic mess.
Most of the time the cagers are ok, but once in a while you get your cager that is talking on the phone or texting. So you have to be on the lookout.

Just don't blast by the cagers, you might scare them. Take take it nice and smooth. Always be careful

I used to drive 120 miles round trip to work and back on the Southern California freeways. I have watched several motorcycles get hit by cars not paying attention to motorcycles splitting lanes. Some of the time it is caused by the bikes going so fast through stopped traffic it was hard for the cage to pick them up. Other times it looked like the cage did it on purpose.

What strikes me as funny is that as motorcyclists we are risk takers. It we get into an accident it can do great bodily harm or cause death. It does not surprise me that it we get hit and are hurt or killed it would be an acceptable loss because it helped the traffic move better for the cars.

I used to drive 120 miles round trip to work and back on the Southern California freeways. I have watched several motorcycles get hit by cars not paying attention to motorcycles splitting lanes. Some of the time it is caused by the bikes going so fast through stopped traffic it was hard for the cage to pick them up. Other times it looked like the cage did it on purpose.

What strikes me as funny is that as motorcyclists we are risk takers. It we get into an accident it can do great bodily harm or cause death. It does not surprise me that it we get hit and are hurt or killed it would be an acceptable loss because it helped the traffic move better for the cars.

yes i have seen many senseless act by motorcyclist, very stupid one too. giving many riders a bad reputation. so if you are a lane splitter in any country, please do it slow. use some sense. many people do not ride because they believe is so dangerous because or the stupid thing that driver see us do and it is to greater danger in comparison to driving a car. like i said in the past without being able to split, save time and gas i would not ride. i would rather just drive and have a radio, AC, seat belt and airbag. but the traffic in CA is worth the risk for me.

I lane split responsibly and cautiously. The kids on their sport bikes splitting at 70mph and the tools on their straight piped Harleys with a nervous twitch in their right hand are going to screw it up for all of us.

Why it's not legal everywhere? Not enough politicians ride motorcycles. :)

I would be opposed to it in my state.

No one would argue that CA has too many vehicles on inappropriately designed highways. Lane splitting won't solve that problem, it only makes a difference for a selected few. Since I don't live there I have no vote in the matter. In my state many drivers practice "offensive" driving. They will speed up or slow down to prevent merging, They will match your speed to prevent you from passing another vehicle, they will slow down in front of you to limit your speed, and that's just the cage to cage actions. I had someone the other day reach their hand out the window to try and grab me or at least scare me. It did. I agree with Strick about people resenting an unfair advantage. Here they would not only resent it, they would block you to prevent it.

In my state many drivers practice "offensive" driving. They will speed up or slow down to prevent merging, They will match your speed to prevent you from passing another vehicle, they will slow down in front of you to limit your speed, and that's just the cage to cage actions. I had someone the other day reach their hand out the window to try and grab me or at least scare me. It did. I agree with Strick about people resenting an unfair advantage. Here they would not only resent it, they would block you to prevent it.
The above described actions of drivers in cars and trucks are "very common" in California. I have had all of those maneuvers, and many others, tried on me while on a motorcycle. Resentment and jealousy are the main reasons. You can see the drivers looking in their rear view mirrors waiting for you as you approach them from behind, and then trying to cut you off. And it is great when you can get some dumbo driver to screw themselves while they are trying to block you.
You just have to be observant while riding in traffic, regardless if you lane split or not.

I would be opposed to it in my state.

No one would argue that CA has too many vehicles on inappropriately designed highways. Lane splitting won't solve that problem, it only makes a difference for a selected few. Since I don't live there I have no vote in the matter. In my state many drivers practice "offensive" driving. They will speed up or slow down to prevent merging, They will match your speed to prevent you from passing another vehicle, they will slow down in front of you to limit your speed, and that's just the cage to cage actions. I had someone the other day reach their hand out the window to try and grab me or at least scare me. It did. I agree with Strick about people resenting an unfair advantage. Here they would not only resent it, they would block you to prevent it.

Why not allow it? It doesn't mean you MUST DO IT. It's great to have the OPTION. I'm never ridden in PA, but I've driven from Philly to central PA and back twice. Do you think PA has a monopoly on crazy cagers? I don't remember anything even remotely close to Bay Area cager antics. Lane splitting is SOP in MOST OF THE REST OF THE WORLD! Have you seen European metro traffic? And yet it's still allowed. Again, just because it's allowed doesn't mean you have to do it.

I'm a pretty cautious splitter. I ride a BMW GS Adv and usually have the side boxes on... as far as motos go, I'm a wide load! even today my wife and I went for a ride.. ran into bumper to bumper 5-10mpg traffic... I asked her if she was OK with splitting.. all she has to do is follow me, I'm a lot wider than her on her NC. She said no... so we shuffled through traffic..... guess what the cause of all that traffic was? Some stupid cager plowed into another car from behind.... In traffic, this is the most common collision. And on a bike, everytime you put your feet on the ground, you are a sitting duck.

The recent publicity about splitting does seem to actually be making a bit of a difference. Last weekend I was up through the bay area and in one area, spit lanes for roughly ten miles... (how many of you live where 10 miles of stop and go traffic is "normal") but I found that it seemed more people were willing to give a few inches to make it easier for us... I was with a friend. Of course there's always a jerk or two... in 10 miles, I had 3 people who, after my friend split by safely and courteously, moved over to the line to make it impossible for me to get through... PATIENCE was exercised and I was eventually able to move by completely in the other lane and then go about my way.

Splitting isn't for everyone, it requires a higher level of skill and focus than just cruising down the interstate. But nothing says you have to do it if you don't feel it to be a good course of action. It should be an option in all 50 states.

I've experienced zero hostility in a year and a half of motorcycling around SoCal. When filtering up to stoplights, people often move out of the way or pull their mirrors in. In a car or on a pedal bike, no shortage of hostility.

Back