• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Killed My Battery

SergeantChuck

Commuter Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This has not been my week. My chain almost falls off the other day and today I kill my battery. I guess it is only fair to share our good time stories and our mistakes too. I write this tonight as a warning to others. My stupidity can be your deterrent.

I was headed home and as many of you know I geocache so I took a route way out in the country. I was probably 20 miles out of town with nothing but trees around me but I was next to a Hwy. I had pulled over in a pull off and started searching for the geocache that was located in the area. I spent about 20 minutes looking with no success. A truck pulled up and the gentleman asked if I needed help. I explained what I was doing and out of the blue he asked me if my bike was one of those Honda NX700's. I corrected his statement but was still please he knew the bike. He had a newer Goldwing so he knew Honda had come out with the NCX. It was during our conversation I noticed my lights were on so I ran up and turned the key off. While I was down at my bike I heard the gentleman's phone ring and he signals he had to go and drove off. Crap. I had hoped he'd be around for a second in case my bike would not start.

I let the bike sit for 10 minutes or so and tried to start it. It tried to crank over but just couldn't spin enough times to start. I'd say my bike normally cranks three times and starts up. I was only getting one full crank and that was it. What am I going to do now? I'm in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. I tried to call the wife but no answer. I knew she was at crossfit. Since I'm new to the area I don't know many people and definitely don't have anyone's phone number.

I did try to push start it three times. Easier said than done. Maybe if I took all the saddle bags and top case off I could run fast enough to throw a leg over and drop the clutch but with all that hardware in the way your going to be doing it from the side. It almost started once but it wanted to take off without me. I'm kind of short so jumping on this bike isn't that easy while its moving. I gave up on that method before I dropped it. Plus I was on a flat surface. Getting up to speed wasn't easy.

Twenty minutes of sitting waiting for the wife to eventually see my text message and a truck pulls up. You Ok Mister? Nope, Not Really. Dead Battery. He told me he had some jumper cables. Well I know right about now some of you are like don't do it. I've heard both side of the story over the years. Some people say they have jumped their bikes with a car for 20 years and others will tell you they blew the coils or alternator. I was stranded and had two choices. Pull my battery and have the guy give me a ride in town to hopefully find a replacement or jump the bike with his truck. I choose to jump my bike.

1) I took the access panel off, removed the rubber retaining strap and pulled the battery out as far as possible so I could get a good connection on the terminal. Luckily his cables had pointed tips which made it easy to grab hold of the small terminal area.

2) I had him shut off his truck and lights. I connected the red battery cable clamp to his positive terminal and then connected the opposite red battery cable clamp to my positive terminal

3) I then connected the black battery cable clamp to his negative terminal and connected the opposite black battery cable clamp to my frame.

4) I tried to start the bike but nothing but clicks. I knew one of my connections wasn't solid. I had a feeling it was the negative clamp on the bike frame. To much paint maybe. I removed the clamp from the frame and attached it to the passenger foot peg. Tried to start it again and it cranked right up.

5) I removed all battery cable clamps in the reverse order of how I attached them.

I rode the bike for about 20 minutes and pulled into a gas station. Needed fuel and I was back in civilization if it happened again. I shut the bike off and immediately tried to start it. Cranked up like a champ.

Lesson learned. Don't leave your key on. I have no idea why I did. Still can't figure it out. Just plain stupid. I'm also not recommending you jump your bike with a car. Want to make that clear. It was a decision I made and I was willing to accept the consequences.

There's no reason to not jump it off a non running car or truck. Twelve volts is twelve volts. You done good.

It's not the volts that get you in trouble, it's the amps.
Glad it busted right off. I think you'd only have trouble if you had to crank it a while -things could get hot.

I agree. All of the normal precautions apply but this can be done safely. You'll have have a ton more amps available than you need but the voltages are the same. Be sure to observe polarity, make sure the positive jumper cable connections won't touch any part of the frame of either vehicle and make the final connection negative (black wire) jumper cable to a part of the frame away from the battery. All of which you did correctly.
These guys are a good resource too: Blog Post | Is jump-starting a lawnmower a wise idea? Find out. | Car Talk

-Saturday

good learning experience. Many of us did similar things. Like for instance, closing the door on your car and the window is UP and the door lock is down with the car running & air conditioning on......duh I learned from my past mistakes... Now, If i do something like that. I at least roll down the window AND always carry extra set of keys :rolleyes:

Ken

Glad it busted right off. I think you'd only have trouble if you had to crank it a while -things could get hot.

WE HAVE BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD SEVERAL TIMES with one thread with a hundred postings...............it's not the amps either. 12 volts is 12 volts and the starter only draws the amps it needs.

Cross polarity accounts for most if not all the horror stories of fried electrics during jump starts.............also known as user error.

Ohm's law, my friends, Ohm's law.

If you don't understand the simple relationships between voltage, resistance and current, please refrain from posting any comments about jump starting. You will likely be flamed!!! And you will need one of these:

image.jpg

Last edited:
Ohm's law, my friends, Ohm's law.

If you don't understand the simple relationships between voltage, resistance and current, please refrain from posting any comments about jump starting. You will likely be flamed!!!

Sounds like that you are also a fellow EE. It can be dangerous, if the battery has a lesser resistance than the supplying source. It would be "In-Rush" Current that would cause the battery to "Explode", under worst case scenario. Reverse Polarity is the most common issue with Battery Disasters. If done correctly, a motorcycle can be "Safely Jumped".

For the most ideal condition is to use the jump vehicle without the engine running, that way the alternator will not induce a large "In-Rush Current" into the bike's electrical system and "SHOCK IT". A car battery will be plenty to turn over the engine. Leave the ignition in the "OFF" position.

Make sure the "+" terminals on both batteries are connected to each other before connecting the "-" on the source battery. Then connect the other end of that cable to the "Chassis" of the bike.

Let the battery set a several minutes and touch it to see it is "HOT" or "Warm" to the touch. If the battery is "HOT" immediate disconnect it and forget trying turning on the key. If is warm, that normal as it's taking a charge. Once that has been determined, disconnect the cable connected the chassis of the bike. Then turn "ON" the ignition and try to start it.

Using this method, your charging the battery, not "Jumping It". Some cases, such as a "Low Battery", this it will be enough to start the bike up safely.

Sarge, as you mention I would definitely try and get into the habit of using the key to switch off the engine and electrics rather than just use the kick stand or kill switch.There's quite a few stories on a number of forums of peeps who occasionally find themselves with a flat battery because the rider forgot to switch off that key. It does save the occasional stressy situation of finding yourself stranded with flat battery.
Looks like you had a really crap day Sarge...:(

Last edited:
Glad a good Samaritan found you and you got back on the road. For both our bikes I have made a long "Jump Lead" that connects to the battery tender ISO connector. That way if (and probably when) I ever need a jump I don't have to actually get to the battery on the road. I have made different "ends" for it, one that is a set of small jumper cable clamps and the other is a standard power plug (cigarette lighter style).

I agree. All of the normal precautions apply but this can be done safely. You'll have have a ton more amps available than you need but the voltages are the same. Be sure to observe polarity, make sure the positive jumper cable connections won't touch any part of the frame of either vehicle and make the final connection negative (black wire) jumper cable to a part of the frame away from the battery. All of which you did correctly.
These guys are a good resource too: Blog Post | Is jump-starting a lawnmower a wise idea? Find out. | Car Talk

-Saturday

I couldn't get it to work anywhere on the frame. The paint must be to thick. That was my only guess. I tried a couple different spots before attaching the battery cable to the passenger foot peg which work perfectly.

I have one of these:

Micro Start XP 1 - Antigravity Batteries

If we carry spare petrol in case we run out, why not one of these little wonders of modern science for our battery back up saviour?

10% ADV member discount.

Not that I plan on doing this again but I sure felt helpless. I was quite a way out and if it had not been for the passerby it could have been a much longer night. Definitely something to think about.

WE HAVE BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD SEVERAL TIMES with one thread with a hundred postings...............it's not the amps either. 12 volts is 12 volts and the starter only draws the amps it needs.

Cross polarity accounts for most if not all the horror stories of fried electrics during jump starts.............also known as user error.

Really did not intend to get a battery charge conversation started again. My primary goal was to warn other not to be as stupid as I was and leave the key on. I can't remember reading many threads on jumping the bike which is why I added that. Probably before my time here since it hasn't been a year yet. One of the first things I checked was to see if this bike had a 12 volt battery.

Sarge, as you mention I would definitely try and get into the habit of using the key to switch off the engine and electrics rather than just use the kick stand or kill switch.There's quite a few stories on a number of forums of peeps who occasionally find themselves with a flat battery because the rider forgot to switch off that key. It does save the occasional stressy situation of finding yourself stranded with flat battery.
Looks like you had a really crap day Sarge...:(

I normally take the key out and put it in my pocket because I walk away from the bike while engaged in the activity I was doing. For some strange reason I didn't this time. No idea why. I think I was in a hurry and that bit me in the a**.

Glad a good Samaritan found you and you got back on the road. For both our bikes I have made a long "Jump Lead" that connects to the battery tender ISO connector. That way if (and probably when) I ever need a jump I don't have to actually get to the battery on the road. I have made different "ends" for it, one that is a set of small jumper cable clamps and the other is a standard power plug (cigarette lighter style).

Won't jumping put more amps through than the tender's cables (or inline fuse, if any) will handle?

Really did not intend to get a battery charge conversation started again. My primary goal was to warn other not to be as stupid as I was and leave the key on. I can't remember reading many threads on jumping the bike which is why I added that. Probably before my time here since it hasn't been a year yet. One of the first things I checked was to see if this bike had a 12 volt battery.

Your story and successfully getting out of a jam was good info.................the reference to being down this road was there was a ton of mis information in the other tread............you proved that jump starting can be done if the correct procedure is followed.

It does not hurt to practice push starting either as there is a very specific procedure that increases the chances of success:

1. Is use second or third gear

2. Jumping down on the seat the moment of clutch release helps with traction.

3. Unplugging the headlight helps lessen the load on the already low or dead battery.

Back