• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Just because you're paranoid...

Chestnut

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
...doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
I accept that I am harder to see on a motorcycle. I accept that most people aren't looking for bikes. I accept that people. are. stupid. That's part of the deal I make with the universe whenever I swing my leg over and head out. But Holy God, some days I swear they're doing it on purpose. Like today. This morning was bad, and I knew it was going to be 'one of those days', but in the 22 miles of my afternoon commute, no fewer than 4 people tried to kill me. Left turn in front of oncoming bike? Check. Change lanes, without signalling, or looking, trying to occupy the same space and time as a motorcycle? Check. Make a right turn from the not-right lane? Check. And so it continued. Is it 'Leave Your Brain at Home' day or something?
Anyone else have days like this?

I understand your vent. You have to remember how hard it is to turn your head and look in your blind spots....I don't want lane splitting, I just want my own lane lol.

Welcome to sunny California? One thing we got in Texas is a lot of space. Here you can have your own space and do not share it with any old 4 wheeler.

We have lane splitting, and I still want a motorcycle lane.
I think the problem isn't so much California as it is cities. Too many people, too small a space. When my husband finishes his degree we'll (hopefully) be getting out of here.

Well, I know what you mean.
Some people really don't look. There minds are wondering. They do stupid things.
I work on the FASTRAK on all the bridges here in the san Francisco bay area and everytime I walk out into a lane, I make sure I look at least 3 times and always looking for on coming cars. You just never know. Last thing that I want is to get crushed or killed.

Always be cautious. Wear HI-VIS if you can. My helmet is Hi-Vis and also wear a Hi-vis vest. I know, I am overly cautious.

Be safe,
Ken

I think the problem isn't so much California as it is cities.

I agree 100% I moved out of the city years ago. I will drive miles out of my way to avoid driving through one. Yes, it's true in the country we have young hillbilly punks who think it's fun to play chicken with motorcycles but you can usually see them coming because their pickups are raised 10 feet and their music is blaring out the window.

Glad you were alert today.

It's not just motorcycles. The general nature of driving has gotten more aggressive over the years. Many people today think speed limits, traffic signs, stop lights and traffic laws are simply suggestions. Motorcycles have it doubly bad because they are more vulnerable. You need a sixth sense to ride.

Saw your looking for a new book to read.

Try this one: Help! They're All Out to Get Me!: The Motorcyclist's Guide to Surviving the Everyday World

Okay, I wanna hear about the zombie...

Zombie;
Automobile operator that has never ridden a motorcycyle.
Description:Can be any age, can be any race, can be male or female.
Easily distracted, challenged with minor muscle coordination, minor to extreme lack of spacial awareness.
Often difficult to impossible to tell the difference between a Zombie and a driver through visual inspection.
Look for tell-tail signs such as;
* Right arm reaching towards dash often with index finger extended (adjusting gps or navigator or tunes).
* Looking down at crotch area; can be one of two things, it usually means texting while moving (so nobody will notice.)
* Zombies often sit with steering wheel within inches of nose with both hands at the top (12 o'clock) of steering wheel.

I am glad you had the training and foresight to outwit the nitwits today. This is a serious business we are in.

All that....and more....happen to me on a daily basis. While annoying, it doesn't put me in much fear for my personal safety....because I'm driving a tractor-trailer truck while they're doing it.

Don't take it personal or think it happens because you're on a bike and less visible. It happens because one thing the world will never have a shortage of is idjits who pay no attention to what they're doing, are totally self-centered behind the wheel, and have no business driving anything.

Just last night I was telling my son he needs to study for the written portion of his license exam. I told him that while it may be a pain to learn, he could just forget every bit of it as soon as he passed the test.

"Really?"

"Why not? Everybody else does."

"Do they?"

"Sure. Just look how they drive."

That got a chuckle. Someday he'll find out I wasn't being funny.

Over here in Cheese country, we have a different mentality. WE easily give way to cars, motos, old people and children.
What I cannot stand is.....drum roll.....those skinny tights cyclists who think they own the roads.

If you knock one down or touch him slightly, it is bye bye licence and hello law suits (which usually they win).
Argh...!

I'm form South Africa (Johannesburg to be exact)....

Road rage is at the order of the day. Lawlessness on the roads are the norm (cagers and bikers). Also seems now that pedestrian incidents are on the increase (we call them "froggers")

Just another day in good old SA:D

Back