• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is this small bit of play between the sprocket/hub & rim ok?

I'm no expert by any means, but I don't think that's normal. Pull the sprocket straight up from the position in the video and make sure all the rubber dampers are sitting correctly. With my bike, the small circle protrusions on the bottom of the dampers rubbed little marks on the inside of the rim well where they sit. That helped me line them up and make sure they're sitting correctly. If they are all correct and the sprocket is still doing that, I'm not sure what else could be causing it. Hopefully someone else here will have more knowledge.

It has a little play on my bike, probably supposed to because the rubber things inside the hub are meant to absorb some shock between the chain and the wheel. Maybe someone else will know.

How many miles have you got on your bike?

Not many people think about them, but those rubber dampers in the hub are wear items, and can require replacing from time to time. I have replaced several sets over the years on various bikes, some sooner than others, some not at all. It seems to depend on many factors for when their time is up.

If they are worn to the point where they introduce too much slop, they start to have the opposite effect of what they are meant to reduce; shock to the system, and can start to negatively impact bearings and drivetrain components.

There is a wear tolerance limit listed in the Workshop manual, but I can't recall what it is offhand, sorry.

That's good news!

And now, to highjack my own thread....I've been wearing the Thunder Under rain suit you recommended, for almost two
weeks now. Been using it as a wind barrier for my chilly commutes home at night. -But no rain to give it the definitive test. My prior set was doing the
job until I started washing it. Have you washed your set yet? Has it changed how water repellent it is?

The TU suit feels like it does the job with the fabric, and not a spray-on chemical to keep the rain out. I hope that is the case.

How many miles have you got on your bike?

There is a wear tolerance limit listed in the Workshop manual, but I can't recall what it is offhand, sorry.

I have a bit over 25,000 miles on it. I picked up the service manual a while back, so I can do some homework and find
out what the service interval is, or the maximum "play" Honda recommends. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

That's good news!

And now, to highjack my own thread....I've been wearing the Thunder Under rain suit you recommended, for almost two
weeks now. Been using it as a wind barrier for my chilly commutes home at night. -But no rain to give it the definitive test. My prior set was doing the
job until I started washing it. Have you washed your set yet? Has it changed how water repellent it is?

The TU suit feels like it does the job with the fabric, and not a spray-on chemical to keep the rain out. I hope that is the case.

If you wash with ordinary detergent you destroy the waterproofing of any clothing. But you can usually restore that quickly enough - You need to wash again with a non detergent cleaner and then waterproof. I use Nikwax Techwash and the wash in waterproofer. If the gear is really dirty (dirt also spoils the waterproofing of the fabric by the way) I was with ordinary detergent, then with Nikwash, then finally with nikwax waterproofer - it take a few hours to do the lot but once the gear's dried off the fabric is as waterproof as when it was new.

I picked up the service manual a while back, so I can do some homework and find out what the service interval is, or the maximum "play" Honda recommends

If you find the numbers in the service manual, please let us know in which page. I haven't been able to find them

On the Kawasaki Ninja 250s from 1988-2007, and possibly the later models, owners would shim the cush drive with cut up rectangles of thin plastic to take up the slack. The rubber needs to be pliable to absorb the shock, but empty spaces that allow excess free play do no good. I shimmed mine back when I owned one.

Cush_drive_3.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
Back