• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is it okay to ground tow a DCT 700

smegma11

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at a hitch mounted front wheel tow bar that let's the rear wheel roll along the ground for towing my NC700X DCT. Does anyone know if it's alright to tow this transmission in neutral?

I have no authority to answer the question, and I doubt that Honda would ever answer it, either. But, my (Ford) car has a DCT, and I actually bought it because it is an automatic transmission that can be towed “4 wheels down” indefinitely, the same as you could with a manual transmission. The owners manual instructs you on how to do so. The transmission is put in neutral such that the transmission output shaft is spinning with the wheels, but not driving the transmission input shaft, and the clutches default to being disengaged, anyway. The Honda motorcycle DCT works the same way, so it’s my opinion that you could tow the bike with the rear wheel down. I would just be certain it was put in neutral before the last shutdown. However, as I said, it’s not an official word.

You would, of course be putting some wear on your rear tire, drive chain, and sprockets.

Last edited:
I was thinking same as Doc True; especially if you are close to needing a new chain anyway; take off the chain and you wouldn't have to worry about the transmission...you could get a cheap chain breaking tool from Harbor Freight-it doesn't really break the chain, just removes one of the rivets and you can take the chain off. However, you would need a rivet tool to replace the rivet when done towing.

The motorcycle engine isn't driving the rear wheel, so there's no load on the chain or sprockets, they're just freewheeling. Same thing for the tires.

I'm looking at a hitch mounted front wheel tow bar that let's the rear wheel roll along the ground for towing my NC700X DCT. Does anyone know if it's alright to tow this transmission in neutral?
The steering geometry can get weird since the bike can't lean into the turns. And it could be nearly impossible to back up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The motorcycle engine isn't driving the rear wheel, so there's no load on the chain or sprockets, they're just freewheeling. Same thing for the tires.

Yea, but still friction-metal on metal, even with chain lube. They maybe freewheeling but friction on being towed will still loose those miles from the life of the chain/sprockets. Plus, I would be worried the bike would jump out of neutral into gear.

I made one from the wheel Chalk you get at Harbor Freight. I then mounted it to an extra receiver i had after i removed the little 1-7/8" ball. I works GREAT, I can take a picture of it tomorrow and post it for you if you'd like. I'm sure they make really nice ones now! I've used mine many times, over hundreds of miles the several years. I've also been called many times to rescue buddy's and their bikes when they break down. I've also used it to drive long distances by myself and purchase a bike. If it is a short haul i leave the chain on "of course" triple checking that the bike is in Neutral!! If it is a longer distance, then i always pop the chain and just let'r spin! Also, be sure to strap it down very well. I generally use three straps on each side and a strap around the wheel/chalk. After i drive a mile or so i stop and recheck everything to make sure it is all secured and then fly home! I hope you do get one and enjoy it for many Smiles to come!! :{)

Yea, but still friction-metal on metal, even with chain lube. They maybe freewheeling but friction on being towed will still loose those miles from the life of the chain/sprockets. Plus, I would be worried the bike would jump out of neutral into gear.

The amount of friction depends on the force between sliding objects. If the engine isn't propelling the bike, there is negligible wear due to friction between moving parts.

Please explain how a DTC transmission can jump out of neutral into gear without the bike being powered.

Back