• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

is anybody ordering DCT? - better reconsider...

it's not internet hysteria.

If the operator "tickled" the throttle, the bike moves forward under 10 mph, misses a shift, then engages a gear, how does it then go skyward with a tickled throttle? Unless it's a malfunctioning throttle by wire, the only way the bike will wheelie is if the operator applies much, much more throttle. If the operator proceeded in first, had a momentary disengagement of the clutch or transmission, then it re-selected first gear as described, the bike would have simply proceeded at the pace it was on before the transmission mishap.

I can understand the loss of clutch engagement causing revs to go high, but the drama of the subsequent wheelie or unexpected acceleration is where it becomes totally unbelievable.

Wildeone, you have a history on the forum as being a bit of a troll and appear to sometimes be posting for the purpose of stirring up trouble. You endured a temporary ban from this site, and now I see you're back. 7 out of the 21 posts in this thread so far are from you.

Last edited:
I'm not worried. I think it was operator error maybe, just maybe aided by mechanic, not mechanical, error. The most surprising thing about the DCT when I first took one for a ride is how readily the bike moves off in "D" mode with just a little throttle. I think the rider in this case being very experienced in manual shift bikes but not the new DCT made a mistake and panicked. The AT has close to twice the power of the NC and wheeling from a stand still is possible. I think, I don't know and neither does anyone else just yet.

Did not know that there is even a third generation of the DCT. I thought i read that the system is only second generation.

Honda Worldwide | Second generation Dual Clutch Transmission | Introduction

one thing i came across that the NC does not have.

"The DCT version of the African Twin is also equipped with a G Switch, which responds to the unique needs of off-road riding by providing half-clutch control that responds directly to throttle operation.
This feature really comes into its own when negotiating big rifts in the road surface."

wonder if this had anything to do with the Africa Twin (AT) problem?

also found this about DCT that is an interesting read
Honda Worldwide | Motorcycle Picture Book | Dual Clutch Transmission

I am told by my Honda dealer that Honda have used DCT on Quads since the early 90's. As such they have it well perfected by now.

This problem seems to be unique to the AT and as such we probably have nothing to worry about on our 700/750's. One thing is sure, we will not figure it out here !

One (two, three?) anonymous people on the internet report a problem with the DCT. Meanwhile countless thousands of folks are out there riding them every day with no stories like this whatsoever. Doesn't sound like something worth worrying about.

Did not know that there is even a third generation of the DCT. I thought i read that the system is only second generation.

Honda Worldwide | Second generation Dual Clutch Transmission | Introduction

one thing i came across that the NC does not have.

"The DCT version of the African Twin is also equipped with a G Switch, which responds to the unique needs of off-road riding by providing half-clutch control that responds directly to throttle operation.
This feature really comes into its own when negotiating big rifts in the road surface."

wonder if this had anything to do with the Africa Twin (AT) problem?

also found this about DCT that is an interesting read
Honda Worldwide | Motorcycle Picture Book | Dual Clutch Transmission

This particular review, which I think is cut & pasted from Honda, refers the the DCT as the 'third' generation which may simply be a software thing that is the 3 S modes. 2016 Honda NC700X Review

I am told by my Honda dealer that Honda have used DCT on Quads since the early 90's. As such they have it well perfected by now.

Your salesmen is an idiot. This is not true at all.

I bought a 2006 Rincon and DCT did not exist in the Honda line up at the time.

I would need to research when they released DCT on the Rubicon and Foreman, but I can say with absolute certainty is was not before 2006!

Even the Rincon still has a torque converter, it has not changed a lick since 2006.

I bought a 2006 Rincon and DCT did not exist in the Honda line up at the time.

I would need to research when they released DCT on the Rubicon and Foreman, but I can say with absolute certainty is was not before 2006!

Even the Rincon still has a torque converter, it has not changed a lick since 2006.
I believe the 2009 model year was the debut of DCT in a Honda ATV.

2009 Honda Rancher AT First Ride - 4WheelDirt

I read up on the G Switch - gravel mode. It basically allows a lot less clutch slip than the normal modes, which is is why you pretty much can't loft the wheel of the nc700. maybe a combination of many things.. who know.

I read up on the G Switch - gravel mode. It basically allows a lot less clutch slip than the normal modes, which is is why you pretty much can't loft the wheel of the nc700. maybe a combination of many things.. who know.

What's that do? My guess is it overrides the traction control and let's you dig a hole in the dirt if you want to? (Or do a burnout in the street...)

Hmm. I will take this up with him. However I will not use your terminology when I do so as he is a very pleasant individual who has been most helpful to me at times. I will probably just tell him that a gentleman from Wisconsin believes he is wrong about this, and see where that goes. :D

Hmm. I will take this up with him. However I will not use your terminology when I do so as he is a very pleasant individual who has been most helpful to me at times. I will probably just tell him that a gentleman from Wisconsin believes he is wrong about this, and see where that goes. :D

Good on you.;)

In all due fairness to him, maybe he meant "oh nine" instead of "nineties"...

What the hell is the decade prior to 20's, 30's, 40's etc., called anyway? :confused: The "10's"? :confused: That just doesn't sound right, lol

Good on you.;)

In all due fairness to him, maybe he meant "oh nine" instead of "nineties"...

What the hell is the decade prior to 20's, 30's, 40's etc., called anyway? :confused: The "10's"? :confused: That just doesn't sound right, lol
The "oughts" as in twenty ought nine. Then the "twenty teens".

back on point, we learn to pull the clutch if the throttle sticks. With the DCT better be ready to hit the kill switch.

Like others, I've never had a throttle stick. But if I did, yeah the clutch might be the first knee jerk reaction but immediately followed by the kill switch when the engine hits red line. For those accustomed to DCT and not ghost pulling the clutch lever, the kill switch is likely the next only option.

I still dont see this being any concern.

So many "review" videos on the DCT bike models where people have no idea on mode buttons or even a conceptual grasp on the functions of DCT, I'm still weighted to user error of some sort.

Either the dealers don't know or instruct people on how the DCT and rider modes work, or the riders are not listening.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back