• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Interstates: NC compared to F650GS(Single)

We saved one more !
Welcome in the family Doc true !

Not yet. I just bought a DR200. It's a compromise to get me through grad school. The IRS was not very kind to me this year. I do however see a NC in my future. I just need to graduate and get a job first.

I had the 2009 G650gs:
I traded in my 2009 bmw g650gs for the nc700x., but I had 36,000 miles on the g650gs and got tired of listening to a single (noisy engines). The F(G) 650gs single does have a 1000rpm higher rev limiter but fyi, anything above 2nd gear runs 1000 rpms higher than the nc700x, so it is a wash; 4000rpms on the Honda in 6th gear=75mph: on the g650gs, 75mph is somewhere between 5500 and 6000rpms in 5th gear-there is no 6th gear= I hit the rev limiter once on the bmw (80mph in 4th) and have not hit the rev limiter on the Honda. To me, both bikes have the same top end, but I think the Honda is faster off the line and accelerates from 70-90mph faster. my g650gs was also black.

Just some hints with the g650gs, with oil changes-all that front plastic has to come off-unless you find a way to siphon the oil out of the oil cooler. all the plastic has to come off for valve checks-every 6000 miles-and bucket/shims and the shims are $$$. In my opinion, the seat on the bmw was even worse than the Honda-more slant but Corbin makes a great seat for the bmw-and the seat isn't bolted on-there is a latch under the small rear storage compartment.
If you plan on doing maintenance/service at the dealer, the BMW costs much more $$$

On the interstate; both are very close ergonomically-they both are standards. I have ridden both on multiple 800 mile ride days (mostly Interstate-13 hour rides), both are similar on the Interstate, and my fatigue level similar on both. I don't ride two up so I cant speak for any pinion.

My previous 650cc range bike was a F650GS. There's no comparison down the highway. The NC is way smoother and cruises at 70 no problem. Headwinds do eat into the NC's gas mileage. The NC stock is way more comfortable to ride than my F650. The stretch to the bars was horrible on the BMW. Very uncomfortable with either the stock seat or the Corbin. I'm completely comfortable on with the NC in its stock form. I removed the pillion and replaced it with one of Dale's racks. My hands would cramp on the NC though until I bought some of those foam overgrips. I have had TKC 80s on both bikes. I give the F650 a slight edge offroad because of the 19 inch front tire and better suspension. For commuting there is no comparison either. The NC's frunk is awesome.

Tell me more about these foam overgrips. How do they install? What holds them on?

I don't dislike the grips on my NCX, but am used to larger grips.

Foam grips such as grip puppies just get pulled on over your existing grip. It's a pretty tight fit and they can be tough to get in place, but they are a nice addition.

Foam grips slide on over the existing grips. Dish soap and water and lots of pushing and muttering under your breath will get them in place.

I have had both bikes. Currently own a 2009 BMW G650GS and a 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300.
I do like the 650 better for more passing speed in the higher gears and higher rev limiter.
Both bikes (NC and BMW) are very similar. I like the seat on the BMW better.

I miss the frunk greatly. The NC700x is a smoother engine and you can get an inexpensive slip
on pipe to make it sound like a bike. The worst thing was the rev limiter as I like to run
the gears out all the way. My current bikes are much more fun to ride in that way.

If you are looking to keep maintenance cost down and get max gas mileage go with the
NC700x. I'd test ride both and see what is best for you.

My last ride was a 2007 Xmoto. Sold it w/ 51,000 miles. Both are good on fuel and reliable. The nc is much more stable at 75+, but slower steering around town. X moto was better at wheelies, but I'm too old for that. This is my first Honda $7075 with tax,tag,title, dealer prep, and destination charge. BMW couldn't match that price. 19,000 miles with no regrets.

My brother has an older G650 single. We both love our bikes and wouldn't trade one for the other. So I guess it's all your preference.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've had a single 650cc bmw before I've bought the nc700x.
I own it for about a year now.

I felt that the bmw is more comfortable with a pillion, the suspension is adjustable and the 19 wheel gives the advantage to smoother the rode thought rough roads.
On the other side, the bmw is less maneuverable in the corners, and more prone to suffer from wind blast.

The Honda wins on every other aspect. It's smoother and the half car engine enables you to go highway speeds more comfortably (at lower rpms), a twin cylinder is way more adequate for it, less vibration (the bmw is quite shaky >120kph).
The Honda is more economical, gas mileage wise.

Also I've made all the mechanical maintenance on both of them. It was great to realize there is a strong community and lot of information about it but the honda is way easier to do (except removing the whole side of the bike for the harness).

Foamies

Foam grips slide on over the existing grips. Dish soap and water and lots of pushing and muttering under your breath will get them in place.

I put mine on with hairspray. Old mountain biker trick. They essentially glue themselves to the grips. You can get them off by separating the grip from the foamies with a screwdriver and sliding a couple of zipties under the foam so you can twist them off. Otherwise just cut them off.

Back