• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Installation and review of Cogent Dynamic DDC fork upgrade.

Are you sure both DDCs seated on top of the damping rod and under the spring and did not get turned sideways? When using a magnetic tool it would be pretty hard not to get them seated properly but otherwise I can't think of anything in there that would squeak.

I'm confident they're seated correctly since I used the cogent specific tool for installation. I did give them a call and they think it's likely that the new springs need to wear in a bit. Recommendation was to ride it around for a few hundred miles and reevaluate.

Reviving this old thread =)

I installed the DDC kit with springs and the provided 5W fork oil last night. I followed a mix of these instructions:
Before tightening the axle pinch bolt, I applied the front brakes and tested the dive of the front forks. I noticed on rebound, there is a loud squeak coming from (persumably) the front forks. Unfortunately, I didn't test this before the install so I don't have that to compare to. However, this doesn't sound normal. Do you have any ideas on why this might be?

Link to video showing squeak: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sXcPawYGPm8wpskd7

The general flow of the install:
  • Remove front forks
  • Drain all old oil (pumping the forks helps drain)
  • Install the DDC with nylock locking nut down with the install tool
  • With the install tool and DDC inside the fork, compress the fork completely
  • Fill the fork with the 5W fork oil until 150mm of gap between the top of the oil and the top of the fork
  • Install the provided spring over the install tool
  • Pull the tool out, leaving the DDC in place
  • Install OEM spring washer on top of spring
  • Install provided spacer/buffer tube on top of washer
  • Reinstall the fork cap

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I found this on the web. https://drriders.com/cogent-ddc-install-t15413.html

I'm confident they're seated correctly since I used the cogent specific tool for installation. I did give them a call and they think it's likely that the new springs need to wear in a bit. Recommendation was to ride it around for a few hundred miles and reevaluate.
Like post #23, I never heard of springs needing a wear in period. Their suggestion for you to wait awhile for the new springs to wear in translates to me as they don’t have a good solution, so they hope you’ll eventually forget about it and go away.

Springs don't need a 'wear-in' period if they're actually spring steel and properly made. If not, anything's possible.

Thanks all for the feedback - I clocked a few hundred miles since the install and the sound is still there. My next will be to remove and go through installation procedure again... extra carefully. Will update when I'm done =)

Edit: I'll try removing and reinstalling the front wheel first as mentioned here: https://drriders.com/cogent-ddc-install-t15413.html

Well, reinstalling the front wheel didn't change anything so I removed the forks, replaced the fork seals, and reinstalled the DDCs. I used a better method (the syringe and vinyl tube) method to measure the fork oil.

Put everything back on and I still get the same squeaking noise when the front suspension is nearly fully loaded when pushing down in the handlebars.

I really wish I would've done this front suspension dive test before DDC install. I suppose I can return the forks to their OEM state and test but before doing that, I was wondering if you all had some theories as to what else might be the culprit.

Back