Inexpensive bike, what has it REALLY cost ya?

Akar.Zaephyr

Site Supporter
Reaction score
What silverhound said: it's better to buy a cheaper bike and customize it as much as you like, than buy a pricey one and spend even more customizing.
Especially when stock bike is as reliable as Honda's NC series. It's like getting a tattoo - the more you have, the more you want, and first time you mount a piece of extra gear on you bike, there's not return :D

I haven't spent a buck customizing my NC yet, but I need to pass the exam first. After I do, God help me, I still owe some money to my wife, and the "to buy" list is already long...

W

wildeone

What silverhound said: it's better to buy a cheaper bike and customize it as much as you like, than buy a pricey one and spend even more customizing.
Especially when stock bike is as reliable as Honda's NC series. It's like getting a tattoo - the more you have, the more you want, and first time you mount a piece of extra gear on you bike, there's not return :D

I haven't spent a buck customizing my NC yet, but I need to pass the exam first. After I do, God help me, I still owe some money to my wife, and the "to buy" list is already long...
but how to customize the front wheel??? I need at least 19" spoked, doable?
v-strom can have it so why not nc?

Thangmorian

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Geez ok lets see here
One NC700X 2012 bought off dealer floor in 2014 brand new so a deal right?
Honda OEM 29L sidebags installed and keyed $950.00
Honda tall windscreen $170.00
service to install all those goodies $250.00
Honda frunk side panels that they ordered by mistake 0.0 they gave them to me anyway
Stop and Go Tire pluggers 45.00
barkstormer VPS hand guards 158.00
slo-mo on road off road convertible footpegs 160.00 and oh do they feel much better for the long hauls than factory installed.
R&G Radiator Cover 90.00
Triboseat cover 20.00
Shad Seating system 400.00
MRA touring windscreen 180.00 see other post over major turbulence with Honda tall windscreen

So a grand total of farkles that I can completely rationalize but ew this was a good exercise $2,423.00 um so that cheap bike.....not so cheap anymore. Glad I am to a point with it that other than say highway pegs and center stand I think I am done right???
Nah you're not done. How about

extra lights?
led indicators?
led headlamp?
flashing brake light?
power port?
hand guards?
heated grips?

Jguarfn28

Reaction score
Just not a farkle kinda guy I guess.

MSA Windshield w/deflector $160
Oxford Hand Muffs $55
Honda Centerstand $160
Honda Light Bar/no lights yet $75?

Made my own Bag Rack with TurboDiesel's encouragement.

SnickterP

Reaction score
Just not a farkle kinda guy I guess.

MSA Windshield w/deflector $160
Oxford Hand Muffs $55
Honda Centerstand $160
Honda Light Bar/no lights yet $75?

Made my own Bag Rack with TurboDiesel's encouragement.
This Oxford Hand Muffs work really well in combination with the Honda heated grips for our winters here!

Deckyon

Reaction score
I have to take the riding gear out of the equation, because no matter what bike I was gonna get, I had to get it.

Saddlebags - SW-MoTech, $375
Rear Mount - SW-MoTech, $150
Softbag carrier - SW-MoTech, $50
Drybag - Bilt med, $50
Total - $625 (and change)

Considering the money I saved on the motorcycle when I purchased it, I still have $200 to spend before it would have been the retail price of the bike. So, with respect to that, I still think I could not have made a better decision in the motorcycle, and the addons I have put on have worked perfectly for everything I have needed and wanted to do.

Del Mar

Reaction score
I have no need for luggage, tall windshields and all that sort of touring stuff.

My X is farkled with the sort of bits that are a 'must have' for any bike I own and are just down to personal taste and preference.

In this case, an aftermarket can (usually Arrow or Akra' but an IXIL this time), a tail tidy, hugger, small indies and my KTM Duke mirrors that I take from bike to bike.

So, £140 for the IXIL, £90 ish each for the hugger and tail tidy, £25 for the indies.

Sorted... :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

waytoobusy

Reaction score
For awhile it seemed that this inexpensive bike that I rolled up on was going to cost me a 23 year marraige. Probably should have said something about getting one before hand.

Gigs

Reaction score
I bought my 2012 NCX new in Feb of 2013 for $8400 out the door. That's with trunk, saddle bags and tall windscreen and a 5 year extended warranty.
I added a 12v outlet, a dual usb outlet, cycle gear hand guards and heated grips and some risers with ram ball mounts. Maybe another $250 bucks in dark led total.
I average high 60's mpg and have put 31,000 miles on it riding mostly back and forth to work everyday year round.
I suspect my bike will run a long time. I need new tires every 11-12k miles. New chain every 15-16k miles and brake pads about 15k miles. It is a cheap bike and use the heck out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk