• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Inexpensive bike, what has it REALLY cost ya?

SinCityNC

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I thought this would be fun....relatively cheap initial investment in ownership, low-cost maintenance, fuel economy awesome, BUT.....

The things I suddenly decided I absolutely HAD to have:

Tusk Risers - 21.00
Rox Adjustable Risers - 65.00 (Cuz the tusk weren't good enough)
Madstad Screen - 300.00
Neson Rigg Semi-soft bags - 80.00
Shoei Neotech - 500.00
Scala Rider Bluetooth - 140.00
Scorpion Mesh Jacket, Silver - 75.00
Sponge foam grips - 19.00
Delkevic slip-on - 190.00
Trackside rear stand - 60.00
Michelin PR3 rear - 149.00
Tool kit and tire repair for frunk - 75.00
Denali dual stage floods - 330.00

Still to be done:
Crash bars: 180.00 - 240.00
Seat - 180.00 - 500.00
Skid Plate - 150.00-300.00

Hours of fun...... PRICELESS!!

-Don

I think the only things I don't change or modify in my life, are like toothpaste, mouthwash, and...hmmm... trying to think here...paper towels? um...medium quality long sleeved dress shirts? (if they're expensive, then I'll have them fitted, and if they are cheap, I'll most likely tear off any offending buttons that restrict my forearms or neck, lol)

Pretty much every thing I get my mitts on, I alter/adjust/modify/muck with. Nothing is safe! Motorcycles are just the tip of the iceberg! :rolleyes:

Do I HAVE to? Well, no not really, but that is moi. :eek: It can make for a threadbare wallet most of the time, but I have fun, so *shrug* I'm the only one I need to answer to. ;)

so maybe cheaper would be buying big F1200GSA adventure edition? all included, just just hit the road (assuming you have good assistance LOL)

Damn...how much do I have in this bike? :confused:

SW Motech engine guards...$240
LED Driving lights...$100
Skene controller...$50
Puig rear hugger...$140
RG shock guard...$50
Fenda Extenda...$30
Zero Gravity touring screen...$100
SW Motech Alu-rack...$189
Oxford hot hands...$70
Yoshimura pipe...$500
Barkbusters...$160
Givi V35 bags...$700
center stand...$240

Oh god why did you remind me of the costs... :(
I got the bike because it is "so much cheaper than a car when commuting". I probably put so much money into buying and modifying my two NCs, buying riding gear, and getting random crap I realy don't need but are nice-to-have. I could have easily gotten a pretty good car with that money by now. But considering all the friends I made riding a motorcycle and all the fun I had, it was worth every penny.

Edit:

Just did some math, and with buying and modding 2 bikes i'm still cheaper off than buying a stock BMW f800gs :)

Last edited:
$3700 in farkles + $600 to replace parts damaged in an accident plus another $600 in replacement riding gear equals the list price for my NC700. And I thought $4899 list was a fantastic deal on a bike my dealer had obtained in an auction, :eek:

You phouldn't count tires or riding gear. You need both no matter what bike you're on.
But, point well taken. !

Shad 36L - a steal at $450
MadStad - $313
TCI engine guard $245
Centerstand - $140 (i think)
Givi top box thinigies (FX1111 - maybe) $110
That right there is $1000 extra. I only paid $4200 for my NC so it didn't bother me.
Still-
Kuyrakyn foot pegs - $90
Fender extenders $200
Rad guard $60
LED tail light addition - $30
LED turn signal addition (back) -$15
Air Hawk cushion - $80
Puig windscreen and visor - $200
A lot......

You phouldn't count tires or riding gear. You need both no matter what bike you're on.
But, point well taken. ! ......

I counted these because they weren't absolutely necessary; the tire because the while the Conti on it was still good, I didn't like it cornering and accelerating, and I already have three sets of armored jackets, helmet, etc..... but I saw the deal and it matched the bike.....

Lol, I'm sick I tell ya!

Last edited:
I certainly agree it would've been cheaper to continue driving my POS cage than to buy the NC. I had been infected with the motorcycling bug, however, so that was not an option. The next in line after the NC was the BMW F800GT, which would've cost about $5k more to begin with, and still needed most of the farkles I added to this bike - everything except the skid plate and hand guards it seems, and maybe I could've gotten away with the BMW windshield. Some of those farkles would have been more expensive - I would've needed taller risers, and therefore some combination of custom brake, throttle, and clutch lines. I won't even try to add up what I've spent on the bike altogether, but it's less than some of my other hobbies (my horse has cost me over $40k in the time I've had him, and he was "free").

I won't even try to add up what I've spent on the bike altogether, but it's less than some of my other hobbies (my horse has cost me over $40k in the time I've had him, and he was "free").
A friend of mine adopted a dog and immediately had to spend over 1K for front leg surgery, then hip surgery. Free aint never free!

I look at it like I bought a lightweight power train and built a lightweight touring motorcycle. Windshield, bags, topbox, lights, more lights, and, soon, a new seat and a new rear shock. I probably won't stop customizing until the bike stops running. :)

All hobbies have a price:
Horse and dog people have voted........

Fishing.........amortization a $50,000 bass boat over the number fish caught or actually eaten ........makes for an expensive fish fry :eek:

Camping .........$100,000-$250,000. motor home........needs no explanation. Even regular camping is "fun" just visit REI on a weekend.

Hunters and trap shooting can weigh in ;)..........Bass pro, Cabellas and Gander are fun spots too.

Tell the wife your saving commuting money by buying a bike...............that's the best spoof ever told. First line is ......."you have to spend money to save money".

It costs money to have fun..............think BEEMER still has one of the most expensive NC

Last edited:
Well lets see I've had the bike for 6 weeks

Center stand $191 (cause side stands are for cruisers! JK ;))
Givi top case mount $160 (I already had a top case that needed a home)
Givi E55 $328 (Mrs Thangmorian wanted a back rest & I just repurposed it from the MP3)
Ram mount $45 (cause I can't get any where new without GPS)
Puig tall touring screen $125 (cause the wind at highway speeds was trying to pull my helmet off)

So $849, $521 if you don't count the top case. Wow that's almost $100/wk!

Still would like to get:
Rox anti-vibe risers (I have carpal tunnel)
bar snake (I have carpal tunnel)
some kinda gel grip or something (I have carpal tunnel)
throttle lock (I have carpal tunnel)
fenda extenda (stock is too short, making a mess of my pretty bike)
rear hugger (my god that swing arm gets crapped up fast)
LED bulb replacements (I'm a dork)
Driving lights (more light is better)
Highway pegs (legs need stretching on longer rides)
Givi side cases (still doesn't have as much storage as the MP3)
Charging/power ports for my devices (to charge/power my devices)
New helmet (hornet DS is so loud on this bike)
New Jacket (the cuff is coming apart after 7 years with my olympia)
heated grips (I ride if the roads are clear year round)
hand guards (I ride if the roads are clear year round)
brake flasher (safety first!)

So yeah, its a very expensive bike, but not until after you've bought it.;)

Well I can personally attest to the fact that there is little correlation between how much you initially spend for a bike and how much additional money you spend to farkle, personalize and maintain said bike. In fact I think an argument could be made that the more a bike costs initially the more you will spend. If I ever start feeling remiss about how much I dump into my bikes I simply think about my friends who ride Harleys and BMWs and how much they spend for "Genuine" this and that. Heck, my one buddy who just bought a BMW GTL 1600 spent about $600 beans on a diagnostic device to clear the maintenance reminders and check engine light which apparently appears quite often for a $25,000 bike.

Geez ok lets see here
One NC700X 2012 bought off dealer floor in 2014 brand new so a deal right?
Honda OEM 29L sidebags installed and keyed $950.00
Honda tall windscreen $170.00
service to install all those goodies $250.00
Honda frunk side panels that they ordered by mistake 0.0 they gave them to me anyway
Stop and Go Tire pluggers 45.00
barkstormer VPS hand guards 158.00
slo-mo on road off road convertible footpegs 160.00 and oh do they feel much better for the long hauls than factory installed.
R&G Radiator Cover 90.00
Triboseat cover 20.00
Shad Seating system 400.00
MRA touring windscreen 180.00 see other post over major turbulence with Honda tall windscreen

So a grand total of farkles that I can completely rationalize but ew this was a good exercise $2,423.00 um so that cheap bike.....not so cheap anymore. Glad I am to a point with it that other than say highway pegs and center stand I think I am done right???

Back