• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Importing my NC700S

Kiernan

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it even worth looking into? I'm going to be retiring and heading back to the States in a few months. I really don't want to give up my 700S...I love it. Getting it to the States is not an issue as the gov't will ship it with my household goods.

Does anyone know what the process would be to bring it to the States and be able to register it (Texas)?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any insight.

I'd first check with the TX DMV to see if the VIN is able to be titled and tagged. Now days the VIN tells everything there is too know about compliance with US DOT (FMVSS) and the EPA requirements. If it isn't then you will have to act as an importer and jump through some hoops to get it titled and tagged. As far as I know the 700S was not ever a USA model and so may not be in the VIN database. If you have to import it as non-compliant then contact the Department of Homeland Security for specific requirements.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/297/~/permanently-importing-a-motorcycle

Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--Motorcycles and Scooters

Last edited:
I've read on ADVRider, not closely, that Vermont is a good state to have a vehicle title issued even if you don't live here. I found this article while looking for info:

Here’s How You Register An Imported Car With the DMV

Here is another page at DMV.org, which is a private web site and is not affiliated with the Vermont DMV that has some info on importing cars:

Vermont Car Buying & Selling FAQ | DMV.org

I'll see if I can dig up info I was looking at on ADVRider. I've looked at threads there that talk about this stuff.

There was a thread about this a while back, but it quickly devolved into a gripe session about why all bikes aren't imported to (insert your country here).

After consulting The Google, I found the Texas DMV page regarding importation of vehicles. I would check it out here. If you've got any questions, I would send an e-mail or give them a call. While I didn't read all the information, there seems to be special consideration for military personnel. I could be totally wrong, but it looks like you might have a chance of bringing home your baby.

The last post on this ADV page:

Error | Adventure Rider

Here is the thread on ADV I was talking about:

How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title | Adventure Rider

VIN Verifications Out-of-State
VIN verifications done out-of-state are to be completed by motor vehicle officials or state level law enforcement officials, or by those personnel authorized by that other state to perform VIN verifications, subject to approval by the Vermont Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Military personnel may have the VIN verification completed by the Commanding Officer or Provost Marshal of the military base. VIN verifications performed out-of-state must be accompanied by a letter of identification of agent on official letterhead.

Last edited:
I have only imported a vehicle to Canada. It was worth if for me. Saved a lot of money just put in sweat equity. The process was a bit complicated but manageable. Was done with a lot of research and patience. Had to do some modifications to the vehicle to meet local standards.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone. I'll check all the links posted so far.

I do know there is no VIN. Japan uses a chassis number that is not the same format as the VINs used in the U.S. I do have a Japanese title...but it's in Japanese and probably won't help me a heck of a lot.

From a safety standpoint, I've read that the only difference is U.S. bikes require reflective tape on the front and back sides that Japanese bikes don't have. That's a $10 fix if that's the only thing I'd be required to change.

I'm sure I'd have to pay some sort of import tax. Depending on how much that is, it may not even be financially worth it to import. I did get a screaming good deal on the bike, so as long as the tax is reasonable, it won't bother me too much.

On another forum I frequent there have been many discussions of importing scooters, but for most it is prohibitively expensive. If I remember correctly, you will not only have to add the reflectors, but also the headlight, as I doubt it is DOT spec, have extensive emissions testing done to make sure it meets DOT standards, have all lights checked that they meet DOT spec, and most probably more than that. There are companies that do that all, but like I said it might just cost too much to consider it.

I think the title not being in English is the least of your problems.

Back